GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Please help!! Annoying buzzing noise 2.0 TSI.

Garry0587

Hi all, my first post here so take it easy on me and apologies if this has been covered before or is in wrong section. I have been crawling the Internet and watching videos online for weeks now trying to trace this problem with numerous people seem to have the same issue but nobody with a definite answer or fix.

The problem is an intermittent buzzing noise which happens only in the lower 1-3 gears usually, at exactly 1900-2000rpm but VERY annoyingly picks and chooses its time to happen as I've had it back to VW twice now and they have been unable to trace it which is highly frustrating.

For the record I hoped it was the simple Wastegate actuator clip as this has been fitted. Unfortunately not and problem is still here. This is not my video but is the exact same noise in exact same rpm range. Many thanks for any help.

Car is a 2010 2.0 TSI GT.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Sounds like something is vibrating. I'm guessing its a heatshield or something around the exhaust. Jack up the car, take a look for anything close to the exhaust. Start tapping and pushing on things to see if it makes any sort of noise.

Garry0587

Well it's been into VW and they apparently done that. From what I was told, they removed under tray and "secured all pipes" but drove it the next day and on way home sure enough rattling starts.

Might be a daft question but you don't think it could be anything to do with the timing chain tensioner faults I've read so much of? Thanks for the reply.

WAP

Go Kart Champion
Maybe unplugging your Soundaktor would help?

Jaber

Modero
Wouldn't hurt to check O2 sensors, make sure they're not loose.

How loud is it from the outside?

Garry0587

You can hear the noise from engine bay somewhere (2 man job, 1 keeping engine in Rev range other head in at engine) but it is so hard to to try and trace it as it seems to just resonate from everywhere! Plus I can't really go feeling about as everything is burning hot. Seriously annoying.

I had my hopes set on the wastegate fix but wasn't it sadly. Then I got reading about timing chain tensioner issues so not sure if this is the route to go down and hope it solves it but was having a last attempt to see if anybody has any other ideas before I go to that extreme. Thanks for the help, will try a few of these suggestions.

Eroc93

Ready to race!
Are you lowered ? I hit a vicious bump once and my downpipe and this little cross bar from my exhaust were touching each other and causing a nasty vibration noise on low rpms for some reason

kern417

Go Kart Champion
could it be your gauge? i don't have a mechanical gauge so i don't know much about it, but i do seem to remember a "no-buzz" adapter for the boost tap or something like that.

Garry0587

Not lowered, totally standard so far. Although the exhaust seems to be a likely suspect judging by people's opionions so far, will have a look and see if I can see anything.

As for the guage Im pretty certain it's coming from the engine Bay Area. Thanks again for the suggestions.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
No Soundaktor in 2010's
Just trade it in for a 2011+. Didn't mama teach you not to buy the first generation of anything as they have problems?

Also mechanical gauges can buzz rather calmly or violently, something is loose and needs to be tightened. Go around checking everything is nice and snug.

WAP

Go Kart Champion