New GTI owner - general questions

damagi123

Go Kart Champion
tune it, no one likes the stock power here asshole

hot post

cobie56

Ready to race!
City of angels!

And thanks everyone for the advice. I wanted to see the varying opinions before I dove into it and it seems most point to the same thing. I just did the 30k maintenance today and put my first 1k on the car since I got it. She runs like a champ.

good question, tho... the other LA is the florida panhandle,, commonly called LA (lower alabama) :)

Baldilocks73

Go Kart Champion
Detroits are awesome. Every time I am stopped somewhere, people always wonder about them. They either think they are the best looking rims they have ever seen or that they are aftermarket.

So no, you're not the only one who likes the Detroits. (They are super easy to clean, too.)

ashchuckton

Ready to race!
Detroits while not my cup o tea are OK if that's your thing. The guy I sold mine to loves them. Different strokes, it would be a very boring world if we all liked the same things.

lilonespaz

Drag Race Newbie
Detroits are awesome. Every time I am stopped somewhere, people always wonder about them. They either think they are the best looking rims they have ever seen or that they are aftermarket.

So no, you're not the only one who likes the Detroits. (They are super easy to clean, too.)

This ive had at least 5 people say "hey man those wheels you put on your car look great" and when i tell them that they are stock wheels they goo "WHAAAAt(silent T)?"

SnailPower

Autocross Newbie
I have a set of Detroits in my mother's garage plasti dipped bronze waiting to put snow tires on and every time my sister's boyfriend's father comes around to help clean the garage a bit for my mother, he asks to buy those off me. I keep telling, tell him NOT FOR SALE! lol

But still, I'm definitely happier with the Lagunas. Not as obnoxious if you ask me. Detroits look like they belong on a more exotic car vs an econobox. That's like throwing the Detroits on a Honda Fit. Not quite fitting eh?

Jont189

Passed Driver's Ed
Cosmetic mods that are a must?
1. led tails. $400. Makes it look like a sports car.
2. Lowering springs $200 installed.
3. 15mm h&r wheel spacers. $100 installed.
4. Tint $200-700 depending on how nice a tint you use.
5. Tinted from side indicators. $50. Ugly orange stickers are ugly.
Most will agree and tell you that intake is a waste of money on a stock car, unless you just want the noise, which is nice I guess, don't get me wrong. Maybe...maybe! you will gain a few hp and +5 street cred., but will lose torque to do so. Not worth it without a stage 2 setup.
Anyway, just enjoy the car. Don't really need any mods to make it a fairly capable and very fun vehicle. Stay out of trouble and be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zrickety

The Fixer
I mostly agree. Don't know where I could get springs for $200 installed though. You'd be a fool not to go stage 1, it makes a big difference and an intake would be useful.

Jont189

Passed Driver's Ed
My springs were $150, plus install. Maybe cause I had a few other parts installed at the same time.

Pakman332

Ready to race!
My springs were $150, plus install. Maybe cause I had a few other parts installed at the same time.

Where did you get such cheap springs? I only see them for around $225

Jont189

Passed Driver's Ed
Hmmm...maybe my invoice was wrong. You are right. List price for my Neuspeed springs is $299.99.