GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Catch cans with no Africa plate?

drval85

Go Kart Newbie
I've already had to replace the RMS on my GTI once. Newer revisions of the Forge catch can and the APR and BFI cans don't use an Africa plate. Do these versions of the cans still prevent RMS failure from a faulty PCV, or should I specifically be searching for one with an Africa plate to remove the PCV altogether?

Mk6 Steve

Ready to race!
I’ve been using a 034 catch can kit with Africa plate during the warm months (approximately 8 months) and I’ve never had RMS issues. I can’t speak for the other designs that retain the oem pcv. All I can say is that I’ve went through 3 pcv’s in 2+ years and I’m tired of throwing money away! I typically use an oem pcv from November to March because the catch can lines will freeze up. But I’m very curious as to why these newer design retain the oem pcv.

smanierre

Autocross Champion
The newer designs retain the OEM PCV since it has an oil separator that I believe the Africa plate is lacking. Also your RMS should be safe since the new design still gets rid of the connection to the intake manifold so it is impossible for boost to be introduced to the PCV, only vacuum from where it connects to the pre-turbo portion of the intake.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Designs that retain the oem pcv are better, period--simply because you now have 2 lines of defense instead of just one.

The africa plate design is also inferior because they all retain the connection from the rear pcv directly to the intake which makes 0 sense to me. Any time you toss the car around either on the street or the track, you engine is puking oil into your intercooler. I've experienced it myself. My 034 CC did this all the time and drove me crazy.

If you are going through multiple PCV's make sure you are buying the most current revision.

The best way to prevent RMS failure is not to have any catch can and just run a current revision PCV. Just make sure to drive it hard once in awhile to burn off any moisture.

drval85

Go Kart Newbie

Yep, as others mentioned.

Thanks guys!