GOLFMKV

Bored to tears with 2012 Civic, want GTI

Dirt Nasty

Go Kart Champion
I was in the same boat, except this was my list:

Audi A4 B8
Infiniti G37
VW GTI MK6

Drove G37 first. Had my eye on it for years and years. Then drove the A4... boring but nice. Drove the GTI and smiled from ear to ear every time I sat back in it to test drive it (total of 3 test drives before I purchased).

Talked to Audi service department. They're more expensive than VW/Honda/Infiniti. G37 has a world renowned engine but V8 style MPG. Audi wasn't fun and maintenance was expensive. VW was a perfect mesh between the 2. Still worried about long term reliability, but it's not like it's a BMW.

Drive it. Buy it. Smile every day you get in it. I do.

+1 to the audi. The A4 is so boring. My roommate has a B7 A4, Slow and boring. The GTI at least has soul.

davethetenor

Passed Driver's Ed
One case vs years of reliability statistics.

Not one case, four consecutive cases over a decade. I'll probably never buy a V6 Honda with an automatic again.

JoshGTI2010

Bored to tears-says it all. I had a Lexus IS250 AWD before my current GTI. Completely reliable car. Bored me to tears. Had to make the change.

McQueen77

Banned
Get a test drive!

Exactly. Drive it and you'll want it. I drove a lot of cars when I was shopping and once I drove the GTI, I knew. I didn't drive the si because Honda didn't interest me. I don't want to have to get above 6k RPM for the power to kick in and Ive had many Hondas - some reliable, some crap.

Just drive one and the reliability worries will wash away. Take care of it and it'll take care of you.

McQueen77

Banned
+1 to the audi. The A4 is so boring. My roommate has a B7 A4, Slow and boring. The GTI at least has soul.

Stock, I'd tend to agree but I've seen a few newer A4s around town that are very, very slightly lowered with nicer wheels, etc. and they look very nice to my eyes. On the luxury tip, they are definitely 'nicer' than the GTI, the ride is plush in comparison and you can chip them just as easily. Id have no qualms rolling in a chipped A4.

Attachments

• user92313_pic63642_1154270920.jpg
    user92313_pic63642_1154270920.jpg
    277.9 KB · Views: 66

McQueen77

Banned
2013 A3 might be bad-ass. A4/A5s are nice but you get roughly 0% more power and 18% more curb weight for too much more money.

A4/A5 are nice rides though. Nice. A lot nicer than the A3 and GTI. Depends what you are looking for in a car. If you don't want to feel every crevice bump and pothole in the road and live with unimaginable squeeks and rattles, you could do a lot worse.

Candy11

Ready to race!
Ok.. So I am a huge honda fan. Always have been. I worked on Hondas for about 5 years and owned a shitload of them. My second best car I have ever owned was a 1999 Civic Si. Only car I ever kept for 3 years. Having said that I was in the market for a new car last year. I am fortunate to able to own and pay for a new car so I looked around. The car I was trading in was an Acura Tl type S. Kinda blah IMO. But anyway, I heard so many good things about the MKV and even better things about the MKVI GTI. I owned a 94 jetta years ago and it was by far the worst car I ever bought. Everything fell apart... I was was reluctant to go back to VW. Honda offered nothing that I was interested in buying new. (I mean is a K20 in a CRZ from the factory to much to ask for?). So I did some more research, test drove a red GTI, and bought a candy white GTI a week later. Buying new was the only way I would go VW. Everyone says, "oh the new VWs are better reliabilty wise" but who really knows until the car gets older. I took a huge risk and so far I am very happy with my decision. But if I owned a '12 Si and wanted to trade it, I would have to be willing to take a huge loss moneywise. I would keep the SI just because of that reason. Yea its beat looking for sure compared to the GTI.

Dirt Nasty

Go Kart Champion
Stock, I'd tend to agree but I've seen a few newer A4s around town that are very, very slightly lowered with nicer wheels, etc. and they look very nice to my eyes. On the luxury tip, they are definitely 'nicer' than the GTI, the ride is plush in comparison and you can chip them just as easily. Id have no qualms rolling in a chipped A4.

Sure, they're not bad looking. They are not fast at all though, even chipped. Your GTI chipped vs a chipped A4 is like night and day. His is chipped and I drive it sometimes. looks just like the one you pictured minus the wheels. It's not very impressive. The GTI has so much more soul.

copizza

Ready to race!
Every "Hipster" and blond chic in Denver drives and A4. Its a great car for Colorado, all wheel drive. On the surface, they look decent, interiors are more refined, but they certainly don't drive like a GTI. The A4 lacks something.

However, the new A3's look nice, but just go buy an R.

rs999

Go Kart Champion
If you don't mind losing the Honda reliability and filling up with regular 87 unleaded check out the GTI.

I made the move from a 2007 TSX and I don't regret it because the car is a blast to drive.

My 2012 GTI has rattles, stranded me once so far, and I miss the storage and dimming mirrors of the TSX.

However, being able to drop the hammer and hear that sweet DSG and exhaust burp is so nice.

Or being able to go into turns and off ramps with some speed and knowing the GTI is not even testing its limits is really satisfying.

It all really made switching from Acura to VW a great choice. :)

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
If you don't mind losing the Honda reliability and filling up with regular 87 unleaded check out the GTI.

I made the move from a 2007 TSX and I don't regret it because the car is a blast to drive.

My 2012 GTI has rattles, stranded me once so far, and I miss the storage and dimming mirrors of the TSX.

However, being able to drop the hammer and hear that sweet DSG and exhaust burp is so nice.

Or being able to go into turns and off ramps with some speed and knowing the GTI is not even testing its limits is really satisfying.

It all really made switching from Acura to VW a great choice. :)

The SIs run on premium...

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Not one case, four consecutive cases over a decade. I'll probably never buy a V6 Honda with an automatic again.

Add me as a fifth case. Car I had just before the GTI was a 2002 Honda Accord with a V6. Needed two new transmissions. Luckily first replacement was 100% covered by Honda (and 50% for the second) but I really wasn't going to stick around for a third. A shame really because other than old age rattles and the transmission the car ran fine. :(

OMGTI_MKVI

Passed Driver's Ed
Honestly i was looking to buy a Civic Si before checking out the GTI and the interior of the Civic made me throw up in my mouth a little. The dashboard is hideous.