GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Chugging on startup?

DontouchmyGLI

Passed Driver's Ed
Bumping this as it's my turn to have this happen.

Cold start yesterday afternoon to move my car back in the garage, then this morning upon startup: engine chugging and shaking the whole car while the CEL light flashed. After usual startup time, the revs dropped down to normal idle and the light went away. Drove to work, then to the dealership and it's sitting there now. Didn't expect this to happen to my stock ECU tune car. I have about 37K kms.

Sure hope I get it back today as they're out of courtesy cars...

Same exact problem!!! Moved the car took maybe less than 30 secs. Then a couple of hours later start the car and car shakes and check engine light is blinking then stops after revs go down. Restarted the car just to make sure and it was fine after.

This is the second time this happens to me. Last time was more than a year ago. Bringing it to the dealer. Only 27k km... 2012 GLI here.

bboy_mk6

Passed Driver's Ed
Mine chugs intermittently as well. But no CEL and the dealer scanned it and came up with nothing. It honestly happens so randomly I almost forgot I have this problem and then it happens again -_- '

DontouchmyGLI

Passed Driver's Ed
Same exact problem!!! Moved the car took maybe less than 30 secs. Then a couple of hours later start the car and car shakes and check engine light is blinking then stops after revs go down. Restarted the car just to make sure and it was fine after.

This is the second time this happens to me. Last time was more than a year ago. Bringing it to the dealer. Only 27k km... 2012 GLI here.

Went to dealer and I got misfires(which I knew since I have vcds). But the service rep said that this can happen from time to time on the 2.0 tsi. He said coil packs are fine. Basically nothing to be worried about.

CadMan

Ready to race!
Mine chugs intermittently as well. But no CEL and the dealer scanned it and came up with nothing. It honestly happens so randomly I almost forgot I have this problem and then it happens again -_- '

It could be the intake manifold, mine was doing that and when I took it in to dealership it finally threw a code out and is getting fixed under the extended warranty on the intakes. I am sure the dealership won't do anything about it until it throws a code or you ask them to check it.

amsirron23

Ready to race!
Yep. Plagued with the chugging for a few weeks and dealer refused to do anything without a CEL. When it finally went off... turns out it was the Intake Manifold. Replaced under warranty and even did carbon cleaning for free. Guess it's only a matter of time...?

bboy_mk6

Passed Driver's Ed
I guess I'll have to make another trip to the dealership bah..

Last edited:

db_racer

Had a similar issue on my 2012 gti. Had some random misfires crop up recently and cleared them with torque app for android. First cylinder 3. Then 2 and 3 on a second occurrence. Got again on 2 and 3 and figured might as well swap coils and plugs since I was at about 70K mostly tuned for duration. Ordered kit from ECS and did it DIY (takes 10 minutes to swap plugs and coils... supereasy). Haven't had the misfires again since swapping coils and plugs. Old plugs looked fine BTW.

Rough cold start idle is usually attributable to stupid junk plastic intake manifold on tsi's from what I understand. It has a flapper assemble that is closed for cold starts and then opens when engine is warmed up. If flap is sticky or you have a small crack in plastic intake manifold it can cause the rough idle issue. May throw a code P2015 if flap is broke (or not). See http://www.golfmk6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24644 as it is a common issue. Good news is entire replacement manifold is relatively cheap and easy to swap (if out of warranty) See http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Engine/Intake/Manifold/ES2773483/ $130USD

Last edited:

sweetgti

Ready to race!
I had this same issue about 2 years ago at roughly 50k. Happened after deciding to try Petro's 94 (not saying that the gas was the cause, but that's when it happened). The fault light would intermittently light, so when I took it to the dealer the 1st time, the cleaned some carbon intake, changed intake manifold, used some fuel cleaners (as if) and said it should be fine. It wasn't...

Now, just a few days after the above fix, it got worse, the fault light was fully on, and even the check engine light came on. Within 1 day I was able to take it back to the dealer, but the car didn't want to wait that long. It went in LIMP mode on the HWY.. definitely unpleasant! Finally made it back. This time they replaced 2 of the fuel injectors #2 and #4, and yes, this did in fact solve the problem! (All under warranty of course).

So the lesson here, when the car is not happy, take car of it fast! Lol

I also received a letter from VW Canada stating that my warranty had been extended to 10 Years for the injectors and the intake manifold:thumbup:
So they are well aware of this issue...

Just thought I share my experience/hassle. Still LOVE my GTI though. We've bee through a lot. lol.