GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Think I might have found the culprit to my Trans issues

HandGrenade06

Ready to race!
Ok so i posted earlier about how my GTI has been acting funky lately when trying to shift and starting to slip a tad now. One of the guys earlier told me to check all the bolts with the dog bone and subframe all was well with those BUT i saw something that definitely looked like it didn't belong there....A hole in the trans :thumb down: Here's some pics of it maybe you all can give me some insight as to how this would effect the vehicle. I doubt this would cause slipping but ya never know I'm definitely making an appointment with VW as we speak to take it in. Thanks guys. Sorry for crappy iPhone Pic.

Last edited:

HandGrenade06

Ready to race!

crew219

Banned
That hole is supposed to be there. As for the oil, it could be a leaky rear main seal, throwout bearing or input shaft seal. Most likely it's the throwout bearing if you're having issues shifting.

Keep in mind that it could just be oil that has dripped from some other area and settled near the bottom of the case.

Dave

HandGrenade06

Ready to race!
That hole is supposed to be there. As for the oil, it could be a leaky rear main seal, throwout bearing or input shaft seal. Most likely it's the throwout bearing if you're having issues shifting.

Keep in mind that it could just be oil that has dripped from some other area and settled near the bottom of the case.

Dave

that hole definitely looks like it was recently made possibly when i hit the biggest pot hole known to man back in december...definitely doesn't look like its supposed to be there

HandGrenade06

Ready to race!
Clean oil - take full res photo - report back.
Ok hold on...all i can do is clean oil iPhone cam is all i got sirrrrr

crew219

Banned
that hole definitely looks like it was recently made possibly when i hit the biggest pot hole known to man back in december...definitely doesn't look like its supposed to be there

Would you like me to take a picture of that hole on my transmission?

P

plac

the DSG does have some weird oem holes, but that doesnt really look like one of them. its not evenly shaped.

P

plac

might have been a good idea to post in the original thread and not clutter up the forums with another identical thread.

burtomr

Go Kart Newbie
the DSG does have some weird oem holes, but that doesnt really look like one of them. its not evenly shaped.

plac = :lol:

It's not DSG, it's gotta clutch...read the sig.

It's actually not a hole, it's crescent shaped, and it's supposed to be there.

All cars with clutch bell housings have them as a water and/or oil drains.