GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ECU dead/car won't start a year after APR Stage 1 tune (CASE CLOSED)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skabone

Passed Driver's Ed
We do, it's part of the package a dealer purchases when first joining our network. We insist that the OEM sealant is used, despite it being more expensive than the alternatives.

How common is this issue, and what type of steps or improvements have been made to avoid these issues?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

roninsoldier83

Ready to race!
Just an FYI - Avalon Motorsports fried an ECU of a member on the VWVortex boards last May, also a 2012 GTI. I plan on getting an APR Stage 1, but honestly I'll probably send my ECU to APR for the flash. Not a lot of good stories coming out of Denver area tuners. I wonder if it has something to do with the dry climate we have, easier to generate unwanted charge during the flash process.

Yeah, I found the thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5661025-Got-tuned-APR-21-days-later-no-start

Apparently the OP in that thread got taken care of & didn't end up having to come out of pocket. That would be nice.... I guess we'll see what APR has to say when they receive my ECM.

Carbon Steel

Go Kart Champion
If it is a seal problem, i hope there is no time limit on faulty workmanship or using the wrong sealant.

B

Bronson@APR

How common is this issue, and what type of steps or improvements have been made to avoid these issues?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Not common at all, our dealers will use the OEM sealant. ECUs frying is a very rare occurrence, the most intrusive part is the actual opening of the ECU. Putting it into read/write mode is not dangerous in any way.

caradd

Passed Driver's Ed
This must be the curse of the former BMW owner. My ECM fried (physically) back in Oct 12 after 2 months.

Long story (do a search for my username) short story, Installer ended up covering it.

Apparently some ECM have weak solders and when you open up the ECM it just stresses those points. After time they will break.

Unfortunately this car is not as tune friendly as the e90's we've had. I miss the jb4, Procedes, and Cobbs ease of use.

Good luck.

roninsoldier83

Ready to race!
This must be the curse of the former BMW owner. My ECM fried (physically) back in Oct 12 after 2 months.

Long story (do a search for my username) short story, Installer ended up covering it.

Apparently some ECM have weak solders and when you open up the ECM it just stresses those points. After time they will break.

Unfortunately this car is not as tune friendly as the e90's we've had. I miss the jb4, Procedes, and Cobbs ease of use.

Good luck.

Ditto my friend... although if you think BMW's had ease of use, you should see the Subaru/EVO communities. Easy and cheap. Considerably cheaper than BMW tunes... how cheap you ask? OpenECU software is free ;) Just have to buy a Tactrix cable & with it, you can tune as many Subies as your little heart desires. You know what else is comparatively cheap? Repairs if and when something fails. :(

roninsoldier83

Ready to race!
Update 4/4/2013: I received a private message from Bronson@APR today. I was told that the MOFSET chip on my ECM was fried. He said that this was something that happens to ECM's that have an -AT suffix and is not a poor installation/software issue.

Unfortunately, that leaves me in a very poor financial situation as I spoke with the service manager (Todd Ellis) over at Emich VW and was told that even if the issue was OEM related that he could not warranty the claim based on the aftermarket software alone.

So, this is where we stand now... I am told that this issue is OEM related and something that was not caused by myself, APR's software or Avalon Motorsports' installation. However, I still have a looming repair bill sitting over my head and the manufacturer (VW) will not touch it based on the circumstance. As such, I am currently waiting to hear back from APR to see if they will at least assist me in good faith since this issue occurred through no fault of my own and would have been warrantied otherwise. I will keep you guys posted.

Not that it matters much, but here's a pic of the damaged ECM that I received from APR:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Shitty. Have you asked the dealer if they are willing to reprogram a used ecu?

timneedscoffee10

Go Kart Champion
said that this was something that happens to ECM's that have an -AT suffix and is not a poor installation/software

That really sucks. Sorry to hear the bad news OP.

I'm curious about the suffix. Is this the suffix on the part number? Mine ends in AP (2011, aug 2010 build date)

If this is a known OEM issue, I wonder if VW has acknowledged it? Seems dangerous to flash these ECMs then in the warranty period, since you won't be covered and will lose your APR tune. Will APR help you out and flash your new ECM for you, or is that on you too?

TrogdorsWraith

Ready to race!
Dude that SUCKS! Avalon is the shop that did my stage 1 and then both my lowflow "stock DP" and highflow K04. And they had to crack the ECU all three times. Apparently some ECUs have to be pulled every time. Best of luck! I hope you get sorted out right.

mdhollis

Go Kart Champion
That really sucks. Sorry to hear the bad news OP.

I'm curious about the suffix. Is this the suffix on the part number? Mine ends in AP (2011, aug 2010 build date)

If this is a known OEM issue, I wonder if VW has acknowledged it? Seems dangerous to flash these ECMs then in the warranty period, since you won't be covered and will lose your APR tune. Will APR help you out and flash your new ECM for you, or is that on you too?

I think the tune is good for the vin just as long as ownership of the car doesn't change hands. So even with a new ecu he would probably only have to pay labor to flash it.

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Damn that power supply is toasty. No way to repair that board :(

butchered by autocorrect

Burn

Contact the next level up VW service line. Client Relations or something. Be straight up with everything. Tell them you understand the dealerships hands are tied. This is something deemed to have occurred due to an oem defect as diagnosed by APR, and asking if they'd be willing to assist based on the fact this may have failed tuned or not.

I'm shooting this off on my phone think it through, but ask for help. It may yet workout.

B.

B.

Status
Not open for further replies.