GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Why no reviews on unitronics intercooler?

changchewsoon

Passed Driver's Ed
I finally gotten the Unitronic intercooler installed.

The intercooler fitment was perfect, there was no trimming to the bumper required, and we managed to get it fitted without having to remove the condenser or radiator and to drain any of the fluids.

However there was some minor issues with the hoses supplied where the silicon hose meant for intercooler outlet to the throttle pipe was shorter and we had to use an coupling to extend the length in order to ensure a proper fitment.

Initial driving impression after installing is that the boost comes earlier, and when I strapped the car on the dyno earlier, the data logs and also the dyno chart confirms that.

Also, the temperature registered is a lot lower and consistent despite numerous runs. It can be concluded that the intercooler is pretty resistant to heat soak.

Note: The intercooler was added with a layer of boron nitride hence the slightly more white surface.

Some pictures and also charts from the logs.

Dyno Chart of Stock Golf R Intercooler vs Unitronic Intercooler

Stock Golf R Intercooler vs Unitronic Intercooler

Unitronic Intercooler with a layer of boron nitride

Attachments

• 29042016 Golf R Unitronic Intercooler Dyno.jpg
    29042016 Golf R Unitronic Intercooler Dyno.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 1,361
  • Golf R Intercooler vs Unitronic Intercooler Temperature.jpg
    Golf R Intercooler vs Unitronic Intercooler Temperature.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 1,077
  • Golf R Intercooler vs Unitronic Intercooler Boost.jpg
    Golf R Intercooler vs Unitronic Intercooler Boost.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 1,113
  • IMG_9855.JPG
    IMG_9855.JPG
    259.8 KB · Views: 1,277
  • IMG_9856.JPG
    IMG_9856.JPG
    354.7 KB · Views: 980
  • IMG_9857.JPG
    IMG_9857.JPG
    247.7 KB · Views: 1,520
  • IMG_9854.JPG
    IMG_9854.JPG
    243.3 KB · Views: 1,001

hbrown0509

Go Kart Champion
Chiming in on the intercooler. It's a great functioning intercooler! Quality is top notch! My IATs are much lower than the stock which is to be expected (of course). Since it is still sandwiched it will get heat soak but no where near he temps I would get stock. It still manages to keep it 20-30 degrees lower. I had a dealership install mine while I was in for other repairs to save me some big bucks down the road. I did notice the inlet side of the intercooler that the silicone hose is stretched out a little to get it to mate up to the outlet pipe adapter. Also pushed back back the radiator fans a few millimeters or so. Other than that it functions greatly. Any recommendation on a longer silicone hose?