GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stalling Issues

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Before anyone gets on my case, the car is going to the dealer later today.

The car drove great up until today. Drove it to work without any issues, upon heading out to an appointment roughly 2 hours after parking it the car starts up and stalls out. Restart the car, drive 10 feet, stalls. The car was restarted and stalled out several times. I couldn't detect any misfires or any chain rattle. The only thing that looked strange was the coolant was a bit low. That on its own shouldn't stall the engine though.

I let it sit for a minute, started it up and drove it around the parking garage before parking it. Attempt to restart caused in a little bit longer then normal crank but nothing crazy.

No engine light...

So the question is, what's wrong with the car?

2012 GTI, 36,255 miles. Stock.

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
Unplug the MAF and see if it starts normally. That would indicate a boost leak. Although since you are stock I wouldn't see that happening, anything is possible. If that doesn't help, the next thing I would look into is fueling. Most times the car will run in limp mode with a failed/failing high pressure pump, but if no fuel is getting to the HPFP because of a wacky LOW pressure pump that car probably wouldn't run. Or not for long anyway. At 36k I would find it unlikely you have a clogged fuel filter too.

But like HYDE said, even if you don't have a CEL you could have a soft code. If the car hasn't ran very long the soft code just could have not made itself into a hard code (or CEL) yet.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Car is at the dealer for the weekend. They were unable to replicate the issue and I was told that no codes were stored in the system.

For the weekend, I get to drive around in a new Jetta Sport Wagon. So far the transmission sucks but the car rides very well.

AM407

Autocross Champion
Bad gas? Maybe a slug of water caused the havoc, then worked its way through the system? Filled up at any sketchy stations recently?

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion
Bad gas? Maybe a slug of water caused the havoc, then worked its way through the system? Filled up at any sketchy stations recently?

No sir, same gas station is always. I guess that doesn't completely rule out bad gas though.

Uberryan

Banned
The false starts on this gen have been going on for years. Several topics on it without much resolve.

mr.zeros

Ready to race!
It could be a fuel system issue, maybe in-tank pump, or HPFP, or in-tank controller, or throttle body, or battery, or...

I tried to fix this over 3 years time, and I was finally able to fix my issue in about 3 hours on a Saturday morning. The solution was to replace the car with a Fiesta ST, and I must say I'm very pleased.

reelknead1

Go Kart Champion

Thanks for the threads. The dealer never contacted me today, I guess I'll drive around in a golf sport wagon for another day.