GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Should I buy a used GTI with a rusted oil pan?

MyloXyloto

So I’m seriously considering a used 2010 Golf GTI 2D that has 52,000km on it. The car appears to be well taken care of with no visible signs of neglect. I think I can negotiate to get a bit of money off of the list price but before I do, I wanted to know exactly what I’m getting into.

I inspected underneath the car and there were a few areas accumulating some very minor rust for a 9 year old car (ie. exhaust, wheel struts (I believe)). The only part I spotted that was of concern is what I believe is the oil pan looking quite rusted. Not sure if it’s just surface and I could file it down, but my worry is a $800 repair or the rust spreading elsewhere.

I could really use some advice from someone if I should be concerned about this rust. I love the car and would love to make an offer, but I’d like to avoided running into a rust issue.

Here’s a link to the photo: https://m.imgur.com/a/XiXdKRw

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
Wire brush it the best you can & then coat it with a rust converter like Loctite Extend. Then paint it & call it good.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
What he said. Or.... DIY new oil pain installation.
Seriously though i would be mpre concerned with oil leaks than rust.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
But 2010 and 52K on it seems pretty low miles... did it sit outside or inside garage? Private or dealer sale? How much? Can you get it on a hoist?

AM407

Autocross Champion
I was just under my 2010 and noticed the oil pan rusty like that. I think it's just because it hangs down a bit there and gets blasted by road grit and grime.

Not really something to worry about, IMO. It suppose it will rust through and start to leak eventually, but that could be ten years from now. And oil pans are pretty cheap, so not a big deal to replace it.

zrickety

The Fixer
As long as the oil isn't leaking through, you can clean it up and paint it. I wouldn't let that deter you if the car is otherwise good.

Rolling_GTI

Ready to race!
It probably lived up north. Mine has had surface rust for a few years and no leaks. They aren't terribly thick, but decent thickness. I wouldn't worry about it too much, but price a replacement and figure it in the cost of the car to be safe.