GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Porsche Brembo NQSBBK Review!

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
Stock S pads:
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH6ODQqoLJ-RM0CakpWdyR4rw3YXWz1misx1eyYbXmjNDsYzwY

Roughly modified S pads to mirror the Standard Boxster pad:

Stock pad:

S Pad:

So the obvious thing to do would be to lower the ledge that the pads sit on, however:

There is essentially no room, as I wouldn't feel comfortable with a pad that was any closer to the bracket.

Until there is a bracket that allows for a taller pad, I will be using the Standard Boxster pad.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
It does look that if the pad opening on the bracket was widened, it would allow for the pad to be lowered enough to have full contact.

Thoughts?

inc55

Go Kart Champion
I'm confused. It appears that the s pad covers the whole rotor. What is the issue you are having? Also, would I be able to modify the pad with a dremel and a cutting disk bit?

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
The issue is that there is pad that sticks out the TOP of the rotor. To get it to lower to sit flush with the top of the rotor like the standard pads do, it would hit my bracket.

I am holding hope and exploring options on machining the brackets a bit.

Yes, I used a dremel on the above pad. It works, but doesn't look pretty. A steady hand, and the right bits, and you could do a better job than I did.

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
I installed them yesteday, and HOLY CRAP!

These things are incredible.

SS lines, rebuilt calipers, HP+ pads and its insane.

I'll post up a review once I have more seat time.

Initial thoughts are the HP+ dust like crazy, turned my silver wheels gunmetal in 20 miles.

:happyanim:

TXBDan

Go Kart Champion
Thanks for working on the S pad solution!

I guess the easiest thing to do would be to machine some of the pad material back on the outside.

inc55

Go Kart Champion
I installed the brake vibration dampeners aka shims and so far no more squealing. Will update after a few days.

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
BTW, from the pictures above, it looks like your brakes are backwards. If you didn't swap the crossover and Bleed nipples from end to end, your Small piston is the leading one. On the Porsche application (behind the wheel) the Large piston is leading. In my experience, the brakes are more sensitive when backwards. Flipping the crossovers/nipples puts them in the same orientation as the Porsche application. They do feel more progressive when set up correctly and overly sensitive when wrong. I've tried it both ways. . Track guys say you'll get a bit of pad taper wear if not corrected...

You sure the larger piston is the leading one on the original Porsche application? In this pic of the caliper on a Boxster the smaller piston is the leading one.

This makes more sense as it would take less force to move the smaller piston than the larger one and the smaller one "bites" first. On my set-up I've had it set this way with the smaller piston leading for the last 2 years with no uneven pad wear. Mine is a mk5 application so the same as the mk6 but I used the instructions from Neuspeed when I swapped the hard lines and bleed nipples. http://www.neuspeed-europe.com/pdf/99.10.89D.pdf

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Let's put it this way. Brake bleed nipple always on top of caliper. His hole for it is on top so he is good.

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Let's put it this way. Brake bleed nipple always on top of caliper. His hole for it is on top so he is good.

That't true on the nipple But.....

Visualize this. Take a Porsche Caliper mounted to the rear of the axle. With no modifications, you need to mount on the opposite side of the GTI because it's in front of the axle to keep the nipples up. Imagine the rotor rotation and you'll understnd that a simple side to side swap, while it fits fine, puts the pistons in a different orientation.

Imagine another scenario if you can't visualize that... Porsche caliper to the rear. Keeping it on the same side and moving it around the rotor to the front keeps the piston orientation correct, But Doh! the nipples are now facing down. This is why you need to flip the crossover/Nipples.

The OP PM'd me to tell me my brakes were on wrong because the nipples weren't facing down...LOL..

Porsche calipers are drilled symmetrically so the crossovers and nipples can be easily swapped

Last edited:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Yep, that's a 986 Boxster caliper. Taken from a Pelican Parts tech article for Boxsters here:

Doh...You're right....sorry. I was tired when I responded. Small one leads, but the need to swap the crossovers and Nipples still exists on stock Boxster calipers if you want to maintain that orientation on the GTi

Last edited:

Tooly

Drag Race Newbie
No worries! :thumbsup: