GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Just Clowning Around

bluvv04

Ready to race!
Ended up getting Blizzak LM-32s from Firestone @ $121 each and steelies at $75 each. Not the cheapest option, but I just drove nearly 100 miles since mounting them this afternoon and it's been good. They aren't nearly as squishy as the Blizzak WS70s I've had previously and I've never used steel wheels before but I like them.

Time to find some cheap Tiguan center caps. I hear you can get them for around $17/each but we'll see.

I'm torn about what to do now lol. A buddy is trying to sell me some Golf R brakes...I'd love to have those but I also need tires...

clownish

just clowning around
Golf R brakes are a decent upgrade, but they are heavy. I hear it's good enough for daily driving though. You might look into R32 fronts and rears from the MKVs - their brake set up is compatible and supposedly good for DDing with a little tracking. Other budget options is the TTRS set up I just picked up, or stalking used parts sales. I saw someone selling a VWR BBK for $2400 today on this site. You can probably wiggle that a little and still get a great price on a very quality big brake kit that has gone on sale once since being brought to market. MSRP is $2900 and it was dropped about 10% for the first time ever last month. If I was more serious about tracking or autocross I would have sprung for that kit, but I went with the retrofit TTRS set up. In the end, my little gokart is still a daily driver so I need to make a few small concessions. Stopping at K04 instead of Stage 3+, smaller brake kit... ;)

These new snow tires are really nice in the cleared, plowed roads right now. I don't know how much they give up in terms of pure snow drivability, but they feel much more civilized than the WS70s I was using the last few years. For winter tires on wet/clear pavement, they don't really give up much from all-seasons. Ordered some Tiguan steel-wheel caps for $22/each today also. That should complete a nice clear look.

All the work of finding winter tires has had me looking at summer wheels though. Noticed Neuspeed recently introduced a wheel that looks a lot like the VMR 705s - that classic 5-spoke look with a deep concave always catches my attention.

clownish

just clowning around
Nice. I do like how mk6s look with the steelies. Could you take some photos?

I'll try and take some tomorrow when the sun is up :D

I just spent the last few hours rinsing off the car and cleaning the interior. Salt from people's shoes just spray onto everything, plus I transported my OEM Serrons in the back and I didn't bag them tightly, so they dripped salty slush on some interior surfaces.

bluvv04

Ready to race!
Golf R brakes are a decent upgrade, but they are heavy. I hear it's good enough for daily driving though. You might look into R32 fronts and rears from the MKVs - their brake set up is compatible and supposedly good for DDing with a little tracking. Other budget options is the TTRS set up I just picked up, or stalking used parts sales. I saw someone selling a VWR BBK for $2400 today on this site. You can probably wiggle that a little and still get a great price on a very quality big brake kit that has gone on sale once since being brought to market. MSRP is $2900 and it was dropped about 10% for the first time ever last month. If I was more serious about tracking or autocross I would have sprung for that kit, but I went with the retrofit TTRS set up. In the end, my little gokart is still a daily driver so I need to make a few small concessions. Stopping at K04 instead of Stage 3+, smaller brake kit... ;)

These new snow tires are really nice in the cleared, plowed roads right now. I don't know how much they give up in terms of pure snow drivability, but they feel much more civilized than the WS70s I was using the last few years. For winter tires on wet/clear pavement, they don't really give up much from all-seasons. Ordered some Tiguan steel-wheel caps for $22/each today also. That should complete a nice clear look.

All the work of finding winter tires has had me looking at summer wheels though. Noticed Neuspeed recently introduced a wheel that looks a lot like the VMR 705s - that classic 5-spoke look with a deep concave always catches my attention.

I thought the MKV R32 brakes and Golf R brakes were pretty much the same? Oh well, its not a bad deal. 650 for the front brakes, and they have 400 miles on them.

clownish

just clowning around
I thought the R32 brakes were different enough to consider separately?

Anyways, pictures of steel wheels and snow tires. The specs for steelies are 16x6.5 ET50, hub size 57.1, 5x112 bolt pattern. These are Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32s.

clownish

just clowning around
I just looked at how black my steelies are - so plain and boring, except for the crusty salt all over it!

I cannot wait for these VW Tiguan wheel caps to come in. Keffer VW shipped them today, so it'll be a few days. And I'm excited to see the blind spot mirrors in from Allset tomorrow. Should be good!

clownish

just clowning around
Office closed today due to frozen machinery and no heat! My pipes are frozen at home but still. Adult snow day aw yea!

Allset's euro blind spot mirrors showed up today. Going to put them to the test in a few hours. Excited to see how much better my blind spot gets!

clownish

just clowning around
Hard to show in pictures but it's got that "security mirror in drugstore aisle" feel to them. Definitely shows more area but the warped face means getting used to the new spatial display.

clownish

just clowning around
OEM VW Tiguan wheel caps came in, spent another two minutes pulling off the old ones and popping these on. Added onto the steel wheels. Looks like it belongs and covers some of the bare metal from salt exposure. Hopefully I can wash my car this weekend without it freezing almost instantly.

bluvv04

Ready to race!
car looks good with the steelies. man I cant wait until I get taxes back. i'm tired of watching everyone upgrading their cars so nicely lol. my car has 60K miles and barely anything interesting on it.

clownish

just clowning around
car looks good with the steelies. man I cant wait until I get taxes back. i'm tired of watching everyone upgrading their cars so nicely lol. my car has 60K miles and barely anything interesting on it.

At least for me, I've never had a clean car to mod before so I purposely waited to get this little gokart until I had enough to drop off the bat for mods. I could have gotten something else I suppose and kept it mostly stock... But where's the fun in that?

clownish

just clowning around
when you installing your TTRS brakes? i know you havnt installed..is there a reason? or just havnt had a chance?

I haven't installed them yet because I'm running winter wheels! :D

No, the real reason is that I'm not ready to install the set up yet.
  • Powdercoat the calipers Brembo red and badge with Brembo logo
  • Research exactly what stainless braided lines should be run
  • 10mm spacers up front
  • 12-15mm in rear (cosmetic only)
  • new OEM TTRS pads

So I need to schedule an appointment with North Coast Powdercoating in Cleveland first of all. To do that I need to finish prepping the calipers properly.

Also need to find out if there is a difference between TT-S and TT-RS brake lines from aftermarket companies like Stoptech and Goodrich. If not, then cool, I can buy them straight away. If there isn't, I need to find a good set of braided stainless lines.

I know nothing about spacers. Need some though. Nate @ HS Tuning recommended H&Rs as some of the best around. 42DD's are half the cost though. ECS is somewhere in between. And everyone and their mother makes spacers. So... whom to buy from and why? 10mm up front and 15mm in back with 47 ball seat bolts and 53mm ball seat bolts seem to be the ideal set up for spacers. I hear they cause bearing problems with DDs though.

Pads are easy.

But yea, haven't gotten to it. With the new year starting, work has been pretty intense. Back to nearly triple digit work weeks for the next month probably.

Last edited: