GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Eurojet catback exhaust and CARB?

tomatotrooper

I live in southern california and I'm just wondering if the exhaust will cause me problems with CARB. Right now I have the APR carbonio intake installed, and when I took my car in for service one of the guys at the shop said that if I ever get an exhaust to make sure it's a catback to meet smog more easily. Technically the intake doesn't meet CARB regulations either, but he said I could get it smogged easily. However, the eurojet doesn't say anywhere that it meets CA emissions requirements so I was hoping that maybe someone who lives out here can give me some input.

Basically, I want a catback, but live in Southern CA. Any tips?

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
It is called a cat back. The exhaust is from the cat to the back of the car. I am guessing you are not familiar with this so I will make it super simple. As long as the factory catalytic converter stays intact you can do whatever the hell you want with your exhaust. Meaning you can chop off the exhaust entirely and still be carb legal because your car still has the cat in place. You can have a 4" straight through exhaust no resonators no nothing as long as the catalytic converter is still on the car. So, yes the eurojet is carb legal as well as any cat back system. The only exhaust that will give you carb problems are turbo back exhausts, which means it is from the turbo to the back of the car so it changes the factory cat and any downpipe which also changes the factory cat.

zrickety

The Fixer
There are noise limits that are rarely enforced, but unlikely you will exceed them with an off the shelf catback.

tomatotrooper

thanks for the replies guys! that clears it up for me.

Edit: I guess I have a slightly irrelevant question then, why would my intake be CARB illegal then? Is it just due to the increased amount of air going into the engine? (kind of beside the point since it's already installed)

artur1292

Go Kart Champion
thanks for the replies guys! that clears it up for me.

Edit: I guess I have a slightly irrelevant question then, why would my intake be CARB illegal then? Is it just due to the increased amount of air going into the engine? (kind of beside the point since it's already installed)

Yeah exactly. It changes the amount of air and fuel going into the engine and California looks at it as an emissions equipment. I am sure it is a super super tiny amount but California is just retarded that way lol.

Tiggy1

Go Kart Champion
Im in Ladera Ranch. (Aprox 45 min from SD)

I got a ticket for loud exhaust.

Mk6 Golf 2.5 Eurojet exhaust (First to do it, tall copy cats ;))
full 3inch piping

ExcelerateRep1

Go Kart Champion
Anything that is carb approved is stamped making it well known to anyone that looks at it is legal. So if it doesn't have that stamp or come with the paper work its not carb approved. Technically they can give you flak for it if they're in the mood.