GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Computer Guru's

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I bought a new computer 2 weeks ago do all this arguing is a waste, not to mention I said I wasn't paying for a Mac.

It's kinda funny, with the amount of time I've spent around/with VW I've noticed some things about there owners. All of VW people aren't your average point A to point B kinda drivers, they are car people. The VW car people tend to gravitate to anything and everything that's popular. It always amazes me how many VW people are the stereotypical hipsters.

barische

Go Kart Champion
I bought a new computer 2 weeks ago do all this arguing is a waste, not to mention I said I wasn't paying for a Mac.

It's kinda funny, with the amount of time I've spent around/with VW I've noticed some things about there owners. All of VW people aren't your average point A to point B kinda drivers, they are car people. The VW car people tend to gravitate to anything and everything that's popular. It always amazes me how many VW people are the stereotypical hipsters.

What did u get? I have an asus g60jx, runs all new games. Overclocked n modified back plate. Repasted w noctua thermal paste lol

DBESTGTI1

Go Kart Champion
I ended up with a Lenovo Y570, I got the one with the gen 2 i7 processor, 8gb of ram, a nvidia video card with 1gb memory, USB 3.0, Bluetooth, 750gb storage hard drive and 64gb solid state working hard drive. I ended up picking it up for $950 and it was in stock. Its the fastest computer I personally have ever seen, I'm very happy with it.

D4UN7L355

EVOC Qualified
What you are saying is that other Mac fanatics are foolish enough to pay higher for used Mac products? I see. I didn't know Apple fans were that gullible.

Just checked eBay. Some original MacBook Air (2008) laptops selling for $400-500. Considering the $1799 sticker price on it? That's not 90% of it's value. That's 22% of it's value.

I checked eBay to confirm resale value. I don't know what resale value has to do with my IT experience. That would be more sales than IT. But checking eBay confirmed what I said. This is a sales discussion here. The IT experience factor was in a different thread. Keep it that way.

As far as PC components "holding value", technology is always depreciating and gets cheaper. I paid $200 for 2GB DDR400 back in 2006. Now you can get 8GB DDR3 for $40. It's just a part of technology and has nothing to do with "holding value".

Last time I checked they were practically giving away iPhone 3GS's for $50 with contract at AT&T when the iPhone 4 came out: http://techcrunch.com/2011/01/06/iphone-3gs-to-be-50-from-att-starting-tomorrow/

Yep, that's "holding value" so well that they were practically giving them away.

Not to pile on this guy but for someone in IT to not realize the life expectancy of your average computer is 3 to 5 years is kind of sad. 4 years is EONS ago in terms of any computer device... Moore's Law much??

dinkdinker

Ready to race!
Not to pile on this guy but for someone in IT to not realize the life expectancy of your average computer is 3 to 5 years is kind of sad. 4 years is EONS ago in terms of any computer device... Moore's Law much??

1. Don't care about "piling". Don't know any of you. Don't give a shit. Pretty cool, eh?
2. For most businesses the life-cycle is 3-4 years due to warranties and rolling in faster computer systems for increased productivity. Nobody is going to throw their computer away if it's 4 years old. I still have a Core 2 in my computer. Not going to replace it anytime soon because I don't need to. It's not slow and still works.
3. Do all of you think IT is solely desktops and laptops? Really? Going back to this shit is kind of reminiscing of years and years ago when I actually worked tech support. Working in IT isn't purely break-fix crap. For someone like you not to realize that is kind of sad.
4. Moore's Law is irrelevant with the advent of multi-core processing. The cost of disk storage was thrown for a loop with some floods in Thailand. Moore's Law is a principle, not reality.

dinkdinker

Ready to race!

The VW car people tend to gravitate to anything and everything that's popular. It always amazes me how many VW people are the stereotypical hipsters.

I agree from what I've seen so far and that's just here.

D4UN7L355

EVOC Qualified
1. Don't care about "piling". Don't know any of you. Don't give a shit. Pretty cool, eh?
2. For most businesses the life-cycle is 3-4 years due to warranties and rolling in faster computer systems for increased productivity. Nobody is going to throw their computer away if it's 4 years old. I still have a Core 2 in my computer. Not going to replace it anytime soon because I don't need to. It's not slow and still works.
3. Do all of you think IT is solely desktops and laptops? Really? Going back to this shit is kind of reminiscing of years and years ago when I actually worked tech support. Working in IT isn't purely break-fix crap. For someone like you not to realize that is kind of sad.
4. Moore's Law is irrelevant with the advent of multi-core processing. The cost of disk storage was thrown for a loop with some floods in Thailand. Moore's Law is a principle, not reality.

IT is not my field of work, computers are just a hobby for me. You said something that didn't jive. I just wanted to point out a flaw in bringing up the depreciated value of a four year old computer. It didn't make any sense to me. From my novice understanding Moore's Law still stands in the sense that technology is still evolving at a constant exponential clip. Multi-core processors didn't change that. People just aren't writing applications that take full advantage of them and that's why the performance aspect of Moore's Law isn't working out the way he thought. If the applications were written to fully utilize multi core processors then the performance would be there to back Moore's Law. That's a human error. The logic is sound. It isn't irrelevant at all. Once the software catches up to the hardware his theory still works.

OP sorry for contributing to thread jack. If it's any consolation The Asus Laptops are the bees knee's. And for the record I'm a PC guy but I had HTC phones running Windows mobile and then I bought the iPhone and it became a soul sucking device that I can't seem to put down. I never had that experience with the windows phone. I just ordered an iPad 3 and I'm being told by friends that I will barely touch my desktop again. Apple products have something magical in their fit and finish. Their products are refined and obviously tested to be user friendly, functional, and aesthetically pleasing. When you have a closed platform you can control every aspect of the device. That's primarily the difference between Apple and other PC makers. They apparently want you to shell out beaucoup bucks for all that refinement. Kind of like VW's... You step into the vehicle and it isn't all cheap plastic and a pudgy desolate layout of knobs and buttons. The GTI looks young and sporty without looking boy racer. It looks refined. VW expects you to pay for that too.

dinkdinker

Ready to race!
IT is not my field of work, computers are just a hobby for me. You said something that didn't jive. I just wanted to point out a flaw in bringing up the depreciated value of a four year old computer.

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. If someone wants to pay higher price for older technology then they probably don't understand what they are buying beyond the fact that it has an Apple logo on it. That's just me. You don't like it? Too bad. I don't care.

It didn't make any sense to me. From my novice understanding Moore's Law still stands in the sense that technology is still evolving at a constant exponential clip. Multi-core processors didn't change that.

Moore's Law about processing speed was that it would double every so many years. With dual, quad, hex, so on and so forth that "law" has been made OBSOLETE. Like I said, Moore's Law is a principle. He was one of the founders of Intel. It's not like the law of physics, relativity, etc. It also didn't take into account of x86-64 technology, something AMD invented.

People just aren't writing applications that take full advantage of them and that's why the performance aspect of Moore's Law isn't working out the way he thought. If the applications were written to fully utilize multi core processors then the performance would be there to back Moore's Law. That's a human error. The logic is sound. It isn't irrelevant at all. Once the software catches up to the hardware his theory still works.

Yes, applications have actually been using SMP for quite some time and even gone beyond the CPU. Flash/HTML5 takes advantage of GPU processing power. Most web browsers these days are GPU accelerated for 2D imaging.

That's not human error. It just proves that human beings cannot predict the future.

dinkdinker

Ready to race!
Intel's Ivy Bridge processors are rumored to be released April 8th and Apple has always gotten first dibs at Intel's processors; therefore, it would be safe to assume the new redesign should arrive sometime then (Q2)?

What? Really? The first Core i5/i7 came out in September 8, 2009. Apple didn't start including them in their products until April 2010. That's a full 7 months that Windows based desktops/laptops were using them until Apple finally did.

Proof of Core i5/i7 release: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2832
Proof first Apple MacBooks with Core i5/i7: http://techcrunch.com/2010/04/13/apple-finally-outs-core-i5-and-core-i7-mbps/

The 2nd generation Core i5/i7 came out on January 3, 2011. Apple didn't include them until Feb 24, 2011. That was 2 months that Windows based desktops/laptops were using them until Apple finally did.

Proof of 2nd gen Core i5/i7 release: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083/...ore-i5-2600k-i5-2500k-and-core-i3-2100-tested
Proof of first Apple MacBooks with 2nd gen Core i5/i7: http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/24/apple-refreshes-macbook-pro-family-with-sandy-bridge-processors/

Be careful how you use the phrase "always" when it doesn't apply. I know you Apple guys typically are not hardware geeks but honestly that's some of the worst misinformed lies I've read yet.

VW-TX

Go Kart Champion
Why should Apple interrupt their cycle just to upgrade the processor on their laptops and have to redesign them? Once a year redesign is good enough and then put the chips in them. LOL

dinkdinker

Ready to race!
Why should Apple interrupt their cycle just to upgrade the processor on their laptops and have to redesign them? Once a year redesign is good enough and then put the chips in them. LOL

Redesign? It's just a CPU and chipset change. You aren't reinventing the wheel. Besides, if Apple is so innovative then a "redesign" to actually be in front of technology change instead of being Microsoft's sloppy seconds might make more sense.

I'm going to laugh when Apple finally adds USB 3.0 to their laptops and they will. Want to know why? Ivy Bridge includes USB 3.0 support natively. Nothing uses Thunderbolt. Must be great having an interface that's never used.

fender177

Ready to race!
Besides, if Apple is so innovative then a "redesign" to actually be in front of technology change instead of being Microsoft's sloppy seconds might make more sense.

Ohhhhh you got him good!! Zune. Totally not sloppy seconds. Was definitely out before the iPod. How's that hibernate function working out on your PC? I know I like waiting for my computer to nearly completely boot because I had the audacity to close the lid.

It's cool though, cause Microsoft is makes up for it by automatically trying to connect to your home wifi network as soon as it finally comes back to life. Enterprising individuals haven't created small hardware devices to listen for these attempted connections and say "yup, that's me, you're connected. Please send all of your data my way"

This argument is old and needs to stop. PC guys think apple is the devil, and in some respects they are. Apple guys think PCs suck because of many reasons outside of microsoft's control. Fact of the matter is, it all boils down to personal preference.