GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Anyone running the Shroth Quick Fit Harnesses?

CarolinaBeachGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys,

Any one running the Shroth Quick Fit Harness System?

http://www.schrothracing.com/store/Tuning/quick-fit/qf-vw-audi

If so, what are you thoughts?

Ive had some seat time in some cars equipped with harnesses and loved it!!

It's nice to be really secured to focus on your driving.

This seems like a decent solution considering its sooo easy and relatively cheap.

They cost around $235 + Shipping... Which is, as we all know is very much less than a harness bar + real harnesses costs.

Another thing I can't seem to figure out is which model to buy under their part number sheet. I looked in the PDF on their site but none of it makes sense and theres 4 different one to choose from. :iono:

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
I wouldn't run a seat harness without a proper harness bar... and nothing less than a 5-point system. 4-point harnesses can have you submarine in a crash, reducing their effectiveness...

CarolinaBeachGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I wouldn't run a seat harness without a proper harness bar... and nothing less than a 5-point system. 4-point harnesses can have you submarine in a crash, reducing their effectiveness...

Hey man... didn't mean to start a debate thread with this age old argument. I was just looking for some help regarding which part number to look at and such. Shroth's information packet is very confusing and some pics would be nice.

I've heard countless arguments back and forth on the topic and as a result I don't plan to run the harness on the street or even on the track. I'm simply looking for more support in holding me down into my stock seat during auto-X events. That way, I can focus more on my driving instead of holding on. Submarining really doesn't sound like a fun thing to happen :eek:!!!!

Last edited:

roastpuff

Go Kart Champion
Sorry, didn't mean to turn it into a debate either. I've never used Schroth stuff before so I can't help you there either.

Have you tried the CG Lock? http://www.cg-lock.com/index.html

Might be a cheaper alternative, it really works on the cars that have it that I've used. I want to get one for myself, but other things are taking priority right now.

CarolinaBeachGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
No worries man, I value your input. Its nice to actually get a response from someone as I feel like we don't have to many members sometimes.

Any who, Ive actually looked at that before. I was considering it after I saw it in a magazine write up somewhere (Car and Driver... I think).

What do you think of it? Does it actually work? Do you like it?

I'm a little skeptical because of it's shear simplicity lol

I guess I'm just used to ridiculously complex solutions.

Cannon03

Ready to race!
I have the CG Lock and it works. With the stock seat belt, I was always shifting my weight around and bracing my knee against the door or middle console but with the CG Lock, no more. This lock is simple and effective at keeping you still. No more sliding around me!

It's a lot cheaper than the harness route so I would at least give it a shot.

Stocktastic1

Go Kart Champion
I haven't really PUSHED my car much, but when I have, I stay planted.

It feels really flat compared to my last car. (08 Pontiac G5 GT, Pedders Springs, Cobalt Turbo Struts/Shocks)

CarolinaBeachGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
I have the CG Lock and it works. With the stock seat belt, I was always shifting my weight around and bracing my knee against the door or middle console but with the CG Lock, no more. This lock is simple and effective at keeping you still. No more sliding around me!

It's a lot cheaper than the harness route so I would at least give it a shot.

hmmm thats some good insight. I hit some mountain roads in virginia off of the blue ridge parkway ( AMAZING!!!!!) but i found my self really focusing on bracing for the turn instead of focusing on my line as much as i should have.

I think I'm going to give that CG Lock a try.

r15maniac

Go Kart Champion
I drove daily with the Schroth rallye 4ASM for the past 11 years w/out any issues at all.

An awesome harness for daily use and great for the track. Very easy install, ok well a bit more effort required with the MKV, but otherwise pretty simple.

The harness did it's job 2.5 years ago when I got rear ended at 110KPH. I didn't move and the ASM did it's job.

Schroth's ASM® Anti Sub Marining Technology

The patented SCHROTH asm® system offers an unique safety advantage for 4-point harnesses. asm® is the acronym for anti submarining. The risk to submarine (sliding underneath the lap belt), a well known phenomenon during frontal impacts, is significantly reduced by the asm® safety system. The energy converter is located in the inboard shoulder belt. Therefore make sure you purchase left and/or right harnesses. Severe injuries or death are possible using 4-point harnesses without the SCHROTH asm® safety system or an anti-sub strap. SCHROTH harnesses designed for use on public roads (FE push button models) or those likely to be used as 4-points come with the asm® safety system. The performance of the SCHROTH asm® safety system has also been positively tested in conjunction with airbags.

Current Head And Neck Supports (HANS®) provide further reduction of head deceleration and neck bending.

The asm® system on all SCHROTH Rallye and QuickFit belts - excluding the new QuickFit Pro - is not compatible the with HANS®. Only belts having a center RFR Cam lock can be used with HANS®.

We recommend that only non asm® belts be used in competition harnessbelts.

Racing harnesses without asm® must be worn with an anti-sub strap!

I personally cannot say enough about Schroth and their products.

I just spoke with HMS Motorsport and they have not done the testing for the Quick fit pro, but the Rallye 4 is good to go for the MKVI GTI's.

CarolinaBeachGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Nice post man, thanks for the insight. I'm deffinitly sold on buying a harness. Ive been autx-ing my car and my right knees taking a serious beating on the center console. The rough cornering is.... how do we say rough lol

Any way.... Do you happen to know the model number and or size of your rally harness? I tried to look o shroth's website but their list is atrocious, disorganized, and I can't find my/our cars.

Any help would be appreciated.

CarolinaBeachGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
oooo and do you have an pics of it in you car? Don't mean to be prying but your the first guy I've heard thats running exactly what I want to buy, thinks highly of it and actually races/ tracks with it.

r15maniac

Go Kart Champion
Contact Matt at HMS Motorsports. He was very good to deal with. He'll give you right info. As far as i know it's one size and fits our cars as needed.

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/

One other tidbit, order a set of the adjusting grips as well, it'll making adjusting them a lot easier, especially if your wearing gloves while at the track. I think they were less than $20 for the set of 4(2 shoulder/2 lap).

As for photos of it in my car, sorry but I don't. Never really thought of taking interior shots, the being said, I will with the new MKVI.

The one thing I should also mention is that unlike the MKIV's where the headrest is flat at the top of the seat, which allows the harness to pass through easily, the MKV and MKVI headrests sit in a small recess at the top of the seat which means the headrest actually sits a bit higher when the harness passes through, this is because of the lip on the headrest. Now it wasn't a huge deal at the track with my helmet on and I'm 6'2" and I do like my seat as low as possible, but the seatback is straight.

The other issue some people will try to point out is that these are not rated for our seats, but they are, it's just the other Quick fit pro's that are not.

I hope that helps a bit more, but do call Matt, he'll answer everything else.

And yes, you'll love the strapped in "one with the car" feeling and it will improve your times. :cool:

CarolinaBeachGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
awesome!!! Thanks for the help!!!!

You should see the baseball size bruise on my knee from the center console after 6 timed runs and 5 fun runs lol. I've been hobeling around all day, but i'm not going to lie its kind of cool to describe to people why lol. Their reply is usually.... OMG YOU RACE YOU CAR.... My reply.... YEAAAA I'm pretty much going pro...hahaaaaa.... and for some reason i haven't gotten any phone numbers yet with that line..... imagine that.

r15maniac

Go Kart Champion
awesome!!! Thanks for the help!!!!

You should see the baseball size bruise on my knee from the center console after 6 timed runs and 5 fun runs lol. I've been hobeling around all day, but i'm not going to lie its kind of cool to describe to people why lol. Their reply is usually.... OMG YOU RACE YOU CAR.... My reply.... YEAAAA I'm pretty much going pro...hahaaaaa.... and for some reason i haven't gotten any phone numbers yet with that line..... imagine that.

I can't imagine the bruising, but spin a better tale every time. Keeps em' guessing....:clap::clap::clap: