GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

resonator delete for 2.5L

burbank2broward

Go Kart Champion
hey guys i was just wondering if u guys had a rabbit and/or if u know anything about res deletes on a 2.5.... as you can see in this pic we have a res, mid muffler, and the cat (rear) muffler..

right now i have the mid muffler and res out.... and when i gun its raspy as SH****T around 4-5k RPM in 1st and 2nd gear..... i recently got a Neuspeed P FLO intake and now the raspyness is still there but when the car gets warm its gone.... only happens when i gun it right when i get out of the driveway...

my question is... should i re add my res in the front and take off the rear/cat muffler.... i heard from a rabbit forum that it sounds pretty good like that..

thanks for any advice given :thumbsup:

WakeInTheCity

Ready to race!
yeah i think youre suppposed to delete the rear (suitcase) muffler.... my father in law has it done on his 5 series, and my friend has it done on his mk4 and it sounds good... not too too loud, but good.. muffler shop should do it for about 60-100 bucks

Emillionaire90

Ready to race!
Yep it's always that last muffler or the suitcase like we all call it that your really supposed to delete. The other mufflers/resonators take care of the raspyness.

DRedman451

Go Kart Champion
you should just buy my eurojet CB that i have had sitting around for a year and a half instead

another thing to do would be getting a stock mk5 gti CB which has 2.5" piping and no resonator up front...then delete the muffler

burbank2broward

Go Kart Champion
you should just buy my eurojet CB that i have had sitting around for a year and a half instead

another thing to do would be getting a stock mk5 gti CB which has 2.5" piping and no resonator up front...then delete the muffler

i never thought about that.. good point. im just going to buy a borla or magnaflow muffler and put it on the end and maybe add the top res in... what u guys think?

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
2.slow ... :laugh: you got pawned.

jaja123

Ready to race!
2.slow ... :laugh: you got pawned.

The 2.5 is faster than the tdi but neither is fast. Tdi may feel quicker because of the torque. The auto in the 2.5 also for some reason usually only shifts at 4k into 2nd so that really kills it. Anyways I did the rear suitcase first and that was a nice mild tone with no rasp. I then went straight pipe from the cat and that was the raspiest thing I have ever heard in my life. The rasp was sooooo obnoxiously loud and worse than many civics with fart cans. I went in a tunnel full throttle and it was ear rape. Also sounded like a 4 cylinder at low rpms. My god was it loud as hell though. If you were not flooring it there was not as much rasp and it sounded pretty nice. But I have a magnaflow now and its much better in terms of rasp and now I can enjoy the sound of the 5.

Last edited:

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
The 2.5 is faster than the tdi but neither is fast. Tdi may feel quicker because of the torque. The auto in the 2.5 also for some reason usually only shifts at 4k into 2nd so that really kills it. Anyways I did the rear suitcase first and that was a nice mild tone with no rasp. I then went straight pipe from the cat and that was the raspiest thing I have ever heard in my life. The rasp was sooooo obnoxiously loud and worse than many civics with fart cans. I went in a tunnel full throttle and it was ear rape. Also sounded like a 4 cylinder at low rpms. My god was it loud as hell though. If you were not flooring it there was not as much rasp and it sounded pretty nice. But I have a magnaflow now and its much better in terms of rasp and now I can enjoy the sound of the 5.

I was quoting what the guy said in the vid.
My car is an absolute turd, my 0-60 is about 9 seconds.

I got my vette if I wanted to go fast ;)

I researched some exhaust on the 2.5 You should really go borla, sounds clean and mean as opposed to hacked up.

Eneubauer

Go Kart Champion
So ive been thinking about doing a res. delete till i decide on doing a catback. just looking for alittle more info on this. exactly what should i say i want done to the guy at the muffler shop. is it just removing the mid muffler? trying to figure this out so i dont mess everything up thanks for the help.

boobieVW

Ready to race!
a buddy of mine did a suitcase delete on his 3 series and just added some stainless steel tips from the muffler shop he got it done at, and it sounds real nice.

Redslumber

Ready to race!
Eewww a res-delete? Sounds like your cars taking a dump

vdub10golf

Go Kart Champion
I deleted the rear and mid res on mine. That combined with the APR intake sounds sick! Now for an exhaust..