GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help.. GTI wont accelerate under WOT (DSG)

JDR231

Passed Driver's Ed
So I was driving home on the highway tonight and everything seemed fine for the first half of the drive, acceleration and throttle response were fine. I was driving pretty normal most of the way aside from one pull when I got on the highway.

Then with a little less than half my trip left, I try to merge onto another highway and go WOT and I had no acceleration. The engine would Rev up when it downshifted but it wouldn't go anywhere past that and the speedo wouldn't budge. Even under light acceleration on the highway it would barely climb. It seemed better at low speed after I got off the highway but it still wouldn't do anything at WOT.

Finally, when I got home, I tried to turn it off and then start it up again. When I tried to start it, it took a lot longer than normal to turn over and really sounded like it was struggling but finally started.

The check engine light in the video is for the intake manifold P2015 code. It's been on for a while but it hasn't given me any problems and I haven't had a chance to take it in yet.

Does anyone know what would cause this or what the fix is?

ProofOfPayment

Ready to race!
Clutch isnt engaging? I hate these DSGs and all their problems. Getting my own into the dealer next week. Good luck man. warranty?

BTW, this should probably go in the Engine Drivetrain section

blower

Ready to race!
Could be a number of issues - get it scanned if you haven't already as there maybe more faults and you will not know if the check engine light is already on.

With the hard start, no power on acceleration i would suspect fueling issue.

mmmoose

Ready to race!
Did you buy your GTI new or used? Almost looks like it's in valet or limp mode. I don't hear anything unusual to indicate that the transmission is necessarily at fault. And even though you know what the CEL was for a while ago, new error codes might've popped up since the last time you scanned it. I'd definitely at least scan it again for new codes.

JDR231

Passed Driver's Ed
Yeah I was going to take it in today to have it scanned again. I've been in limp mode before and it's performing better than that but valet mode sounds about what it is doing since it doesn't feel like it's misfiring. It will slowly accelerate under light throttle at lower speeds but feels like it's being limited otherwise. I have that time too but I don't know how it could have switched to valet mode since I don't have a switcher to do it with.

I got it new and have 80,000 miles so I'm out of warranty.

Fonzii18

Ready to race!
If you bought the car used, it might have the apr valet. They have a how to unlock it tutorial video on there website

AccelaSX

Ready to race!
Bring it in to the dealer and get the intake manifold replaced. It's under warranty. Your problem will be fixed.

DSGs don't die suddenly. I think its intake manifold related as well. My guess the flapper got stock in somewhat closed position and engine just doesn't get enough air. it looks like you are at 81K miles, have you done carbon cleaning before? Carbon build up can restrict the flapper movement.

JDR231

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes I had a cleaning done around 64,000 miles so it shouldn't have built back up that quickly.

I'm hoping it's related to the intake manifold, I actually scheduled my service appointment yesterday before it messed up but I don't take it in until Tuesday. I'm just hoping they don't give me a hard time since I'm tuned.

egrunt

Passed Driver's Ed
Several years ago we where driving our 2012 GTI Autobahn with just over 40k miles for several hours. I needed to merge from the #1 lane (Fast lane) to a approaching off-ramp to exit the freeway. I went to accelerate and if memory serves me correct the GTI would not accelerate past 4K on the tach. The GTI had a loss of power and while driveable the acceleration was limited. The problem with our GTI was the high pressure fuel pump. The interesting thing is the fuel pump under the rear seat gave out 2k miles earlier.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
Several years ago we where driving our 2012 GTI Autobahn with just over 40k miles for several hours. I needed to merge from the #1 lane (Fast lane) to a approaching off-ramp to exit the freeway. I went to accelerate and if memory serves me correct the GTI would not accelerate past 4K on the tach. The GTI had a loss of power and while driveable the acceleration was limited. The problem with our GTI was the high pressure fuel pump. The interesting thing is the fuel pump under the rear seat gave out 2k miles earlier.

same for me, fuel pump, car wouldn't rev past 3500 or so. but in this case, i think his intake actuator may have broke.

dafuture

Go Kart Champion
I'm gonna guess fuel pump as well. I had my HPFP go a few weeks ago and I had the same problem with hard starts you did. Only way to really know is scan codes though.

dAT_Sloth

Ready to race!
Yes I had a cleaning done around 64,000 miles so it shouldn't have built back up that quickly.

You'd be surprised. Did mine with just under 20k miles in between cleanings and it was bad enough to justify the cleaning.

Also if it's manifold, it will be covered by extended warranty due to failures known well by VWoA. Call them and have them run your VIN.

2013R

Drag Race Newbie
re-read your stuff. the intake CEL was pre-existing long before this occurence. then its your HPFP no doubt. but you can physically check the arm on your intake flapper too, and see if its the old design or the new design.