GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

ChiChat 18: CAR MODS GALORE; CAR PROBLEMS GALORE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
I have always gone with Michelin PS AS3+ tires, but my wife has been unhappy with how loud this last set has been, especially considering the price. She wants to change it up. Any suggestions?

My current set up. Loved them when they first went on, now.. squirrly in the rain. Tons of wheel hop under load. Still quiet though... I want Indy 500 buuuuuuuut...Extra FRD88? :iono:

But seriously... Indy 500. Buddy has them and loves them. Plus they look sick.

Phur

Autocross Champion
Unfortunately summer tires are not on the table since I have nowhere to store wheels and tires. Maybe after I finish my crawlspace shit...
[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
I have always gone with Michelin PS AS3+ tires, but my wife has been unhappy with how loud this last set has been, especially considering the price. She wants to change it up. Any suggestions?

Check out the General G-Max AS-5. I have the AS-3s which I believe have been replaced by the AS-5, which are supposed to be even better. For all seasons I think they are excellent. They do get a little bit loud towards the end of their lifespan but they are very quiet for the most part. From what I've read the AS-5 were designed to be even quieter.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Attended a very, very wet AX on Saturday. My shoes are still wet lol.

Was actually a lot more fun than I expected. My plan was to go home if it rained. Then it rained, and I said I'd do a quick "sighting lap" in the wet, in the hopes that it would dry later in the day.

I took all my runs in the wet because we started to get competitive lol.

Afternoon, it rained again and was damp for the first half of my run group (which included Tim, Jeff and myself... the three of us are always going at it). For the second half of my run group (which included other guys in my class) it dried out... so I had P1 locked in until the last 20 minutes of the day... dangit.

Couple cool pics from the event attached. Grandpa Jim in the C7 made a BIG splash...

Sunday I washed/clayed/waxed the wife's car, and washed my racekar since it was filthy.

I picked up a "Brush Hero" - one of those "AS SEEN ON TV" gadgets that has a spinny brush that mounts on the end of a hose. I'll forever call it a "tire dildo" because, well, it buzzes/vibrates when on and it's about the size and shape of a dildo.

But I gotta tell ya - it worked better than I expected, about as good as I'd hoped it would. Made it super easy to clean the wheels, get inside and clean the barrels, etc. A+ would recommend.

This thing: https://www.brushhero.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7rfLg5CP5AIVQgOGCh28awOPEAAYASAAEgJLNPD_BwE

Note that it's $19.99 at WalMart.

Attachments

• 48561357496_57b2c56f96_z.jpg
    48561357496_57b2c56f96_z.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 75
  • 48561380796_47d0c72267_z.jpg
    48561380796_47d0c72267_z.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 81
  • 48561489092_047de32612_z.jpg
    48561489092_047de32612_z.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 76

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Attended a very, very wet AX on Saturday. My shoes are still wet lol.

Was actually a lot more fun than I expected. My plan was to go home if it rained. Then it rained, and I said I'd do a quick "sighting lap" in the wet, in the hopes that it would dry later in the day.

I took all my runs in the wet because we started to get competitive lol.

Afternoon, it rained again and was damp for the first half of my run group (which included Tim, Jeff and myself... the three of us are always going at it). For the second half of my run group (which included other guys in my class) it dried out... so I had P1 locked in until the last 20 minutes of the day... dangit.

Couple cool pics from the event attached. Grandpa Jim in the C7 made a BIG splash...

Sunday I washed/clayed/waxed the wife's car, and washed my racekar since it was filthy.

I picked up a "Brush Hero" - one of those "AS SEEN ON TV" gadgets that has a spinny brush that mounts on the end of a hose. I'll forever call it a "tire dildo" because, well, it buzzes/vibrates when on and it's about the size and shape of a dildo.

But I gotta tell ya - it worked better than I expected, about as good as I'd hoped it would. Made it super easy to clean the wheels, get inside and clean the barrels, etc. A+ would recommend.

This thing: https://www.brushhero.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7rfLg5CP5AIVQgOGCh28awOPEAAYASAAEgJLNPD_BwE

Note that it's $19.99 at WalMart.

Autocross in awd or rwd car...super fun. :happyanim:

Fwd, not so much. :(

deleting comments will get me banned. I understand this is trolling and won't do it anymore.

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
So you autocross your fwd a lot right? Wow yeah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless youre ripping the e brake at a wet autocross, youre not gonna get the rotation a rwd car can do from drifting.

The evo/sti guys always seem to have a blast ken blocking the autocross course :thumbup::clap:

Former Honda Guy

Autocross Newbie
My current set up. Loved them when they first went on, now.. squirrly in the rain. Tons of wheel hop under load. Still quiet though... I want Indy 500 buuuuuuuut...Extra FRD88? :iono:

But seriously... Indy 500. Buddy has them and loves them. Plus they look sick.

I just ordered a set of the Indy 500s and new wheels. (A car eating Chicago pothole snacked on two of my wheels. [emoji2959][emoji2365]) I’ll let you know if I like them.

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Unless youre ripping the e brake at a wet autocross, youre not gonna get the rotation a rwd car can do from drifting.

The evo/sti guys always seem to have a blast ken blocking the autocross course :thumbup::clap:

Looked like the AWD guys were fighting understeer. Landmeier made some swaybar changes and was finally getting some balance out of the car but he said he's otherwise plowing everywhere.

Kelsey has a Mini, which is FWD. She had the tail out everywhere. I recall from my wife's Mk6, all it took was a quick drop of the throttle mid-turn to get rotation....

Not so much anymore but I have in the past... alot.

Throwback to 2nd place in a windy city bmw event. I think that was a wet day too

wow yeah

I didn't know Teh Jay would AX... you should come out. E class competition is pretty tight. I know it's not a DE event but the competitive intensity is pretty solid....

BoostedVW11

Drag Racing Champion
Looked like the AWD guys were fighting understeer. Landmeier made some swaybar changes and was finally getting some balance out of the car but he said he's otherwise plowing everywhere.

Kelsey has a Mini, which is FWD. She had the tail out everywhere. I recall from my wife's Mk6, all it took was a quick drop of the throttle mid-turn to get rotation....

Minis are tail happy can confirm from mr landmeier himself , that car was awesome . Yeah in a sweeper its easy to get the car to brake lose in fwd with a quick lift.

Is this still with windy city bmw ? maybe ill try them again one time this year. did 5 events with them...good club. Glad they created E class .

Miata club also very nice setup , although their courses can be pretty tight cause #miatas

I found it best to get a few ride alongs in with people before you get out there yourself, a lot of autocross comes from how quickly you can figure out the layout and make changes in a short amount of time. For the price too, its kind of nice hanging out with friends for the day. (weather depending)

OmniGLH

Autocross Newbie
Minis are tail happy can confirm from mr landmeier himself , that car was awesome . Yeah in a sweeper its easy to get the car to brake lose in fwd with a quick lift.

Is this still with windy city bmw ? maybe ill try them again one time this year. did 5 events with them...good club. Glad they created E class .

Miata club also very nice setup , although their courses can be pretty tight cause #miatas

Ya BMW is where I've been focusing, along with Tim and Jeff.

I haven't made a TSSCC event yet - they're always in Joliet. Hike. :( But according to quite a few people - TSSCC brings out all the tri-state area "fast" guys, who use TSSCC as their "test/tune" events when not at a SCCA event. Hopefully I'll make one this year.

Miata club runs a tight ship... but yeah, their courses are all super tight. Especially this year. Went out for beers with a few guys Saturday afternoon and none of them had good things to say about the current course designer.

I've done 1 (or 2?) events with them, and I didn't think their courses were bad... tho the videos I've seen people post from courses this year? Yeah... pretty bad.

Upside: usually 17-18 runs. If you like that sort of thing.

Next BMW event is at Sears. Pete Maloy and Bill Luxon doing the course. I spent ~90 minutes with them Saturday night walking around Sears and offering my thoughts on a course. Pete is well known for doing great courses... I'm looking forward to this one. We came up with some really good ideas.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do

I didn't know Teh Jay would AX... you should come out. E class competition is pretty tight. I know it's not a DE event but the competitive intensity is pretty solid....
The gti's rotate a lot when you start playing with the suspension components like sway bars. I always read these dudes saying how fwd isn't fun because it just pushes and won't rotate "especially in the wet" and I just think they absolutely don't know what they are talking about. um ok.... I don't seem to have a problem with it but yeah, keep repeating everything you read on the internet facebook groups :lol:

LOL @ ripping the e-brake. no.

I'll come out to an autox, was trying to link up with teh kevin last year but it didn't happen. Does he still drive? I've got a day off planned next week and hopefully can get my car in working order then.

Status
Not open for further replies.