GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

On the fence...trade my 2008 M-B C350 for 2012 GTI w/ DSG

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
(nothing beats American A/C units)

the one in my band's van, 1998 Dodge, has crapped out at least 2 times. I didn't know American cars had great /were known for great AC units?

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
The MB had a killer AC unit...it will be missed. Of course I think that the fact that the car was in the sun, has black leather, and no sunshades at the time made it about 150 deg. in there! Sunshades in the windshield while parked should help this car a ton.

Thanks for the congrats! I am really excited, now how long before stage 1, I was thinking after first oil change. I basically got the new GTI for MSRP since the discount and trade diff. offset each other. My father in law bought a red Autobahn at the same time!!! Forgot that part of the story, maybe helped my deal a bit.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie

andy_uranium

Go Kart Champion
the one in my band's van, 1998 Dodge, has crapped out at least 2 times. I didn't know American cars had great /were known for great AC units?

I had to change the ac unit in the cavalier I had twice...:(

sukanas1

Ready to race!
It is funny that you said that, I actually don't like the brand image that MB portrays. I came from humble beginnings and by no means ever thought I'd drive a Benz. I'm a "car guy" and I bought the C350 because of how great the car is, not the brand. I will actually like no longer dealing with the "well he drives a Benz now..." crap from my friends. I bought it used for the price of a loaded Honda Accord anyway but people still see the 3 pt. star and judge you by it. I guess that some people would enjoy that but for me it's had the opposite effect.

and a real car enthusiast will know a GTI is a great car.!

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
and a real car enthusiast will know a GTI is a great car.!

A car enthusiast will know what it is and the rest of the people in my life will think I've sensibly down-sized to a more reasonable car, ha ha ha, love it!!!

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
She's mine! Picked my new ride up today and they did a fantastic job detailing the car, just like I asked!!! I specified no orbital buffer, only carbon fiber for wash/dry, and take that damn dealer sticker off, ha ha. The car is perfect. My oldest son age 3.5 loves cars and has named it "Speed Racer". He was a little sad about saying goodbye to the Benz but cannot stop talking about the GTI after our drive around the city tonight. Both of my boys seem to have a much better view of the road in the GTI, seems like they are riding higher and a bit more upright. My youngest son age 1.5 kept pointing and talking about everything he saw. He never did that in the Benz since he couldn't see much I guess.

Couple of things I've noticed in my first 50+ miles...please comment with your experiences.

1)the car seems to have slow throttle response from a start in D-mode...is this turbo lag? I thought GTI had very little lag? It takes a second for it to get going...will this get better when the DSG breaks in a bit?

2)When I really get on it in from a stop in Sport mode I get some notable torque steer, the system controls it fairly well but I imagine this will get way worse with Stage I, right? It won't stop me from getting it though :)

3)How do you like the stock Dunlap tires? I already think they kind of suck but all OEM tires suck because they are the cheap version of the real thing.

Thanks again for all the positive feedback, this forum is the best I've been a part of so far.

x_paradoxal_x

Ready to race!
Golf = Utilitarian. There is a hell of a lot more room in the Golf than your current C class. That good 'ole hatch on the back makes life monumentally better.

tehHooligan

Ready to race!
Couple of things I've noticed in my first 50+ miles...please comment with your experiences.

1)the car seems to have slow throttle response from a start in D-mode...is this turbo lag? I thought GTI had very little lag? It takes a second for it to get going...will this get better when the DSG breaks in a bit?

That's the DSG breaking in, not turbo lag. The DSG will have moments when it is brand new or really cold in the morning where the clutches feel clunky, especially at stop signs where you com really close to stopping fully and then take off again. The car will hold in second (like you would in manual, not shifting to first) but then it'll decide it needs first. When you go to accelerate, it's still shifting (slowly, because it's cold or new) and theres that clunky lag. It'll go away.

Also, throttle response is improved when you get chipped stage anything, with any tune. :)

2)When I really get on it in from a stop in Sport mode I get some notable torque steer, the system controls it fairly well but I imagine this will get way worse with Stage I, right? It won't stop me from getting it though :)

I've never really noticed that much torque steer. It's there, but it's nothing really bad.

The annoying thing is being front wheel drive, when you accelerate hard the front picks up and you lose a ton of traction. When I drive the 370Z and accelerate from a stop at WOT it digs in. My GTI has been much better since I've added the engine mount torque insert. Lets me burn lots of rubber on the right surfaces (smooth concrete is reaaaally loud).