GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

On the fence...trade my 2008 M-B C350 for 2012 GTI w/ DSG

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Over 12K miles and not a squeak or rattle yet.

That's great to hear! I've read countless magazine reviews for the new GTI and no one ever comments on rattle/creaks/buzzing/etc. All cars seem to have some little noise mostly during the winter months when some plastic parts constrict. They tend to go away when it gets warmer.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
after owning (and loving) Subaru's, any squeaks or rattles in the GTI seem ever so insignificant :lol:

dallasjetfan

Ready to race!
That part does scare me a bit since the MB is built like a panzar tank and is the most quiet car I've ever driven. Not a squeek/rattle/buzz anywhere just that sweet engine tone that is subtle yet sporty.

Does everyone have some interior noises in their GTI? The two that I've test drove seemed pretty quiet but it is hard to check for that on a short test drive when the salesman is talking to you...

No squeaks or rattles yet after about 1500 miles. I remember my GLI didn't have any until winter.

dalex

I was in a very similar situation as you OP. I had a 2006 BMW 330xi that I bought new and it had about 75k miles on it. For many of the same reasons that you stated, I decided to trade her in and get a new 2011 GTI.

I've had the GTI for about a month now and just 1100 miles this weekend. My thoughts? I love the GTI. I have no regrets whatsoever and I am more than happy with my decision.

So, if you won't miss the brand chache of MB, you'll love the GTI. I put a clear bra and 35% tints and plan to get APR stage I later this summer.

Good luck with your decision. :23:

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
I was in a very similar situation as you OP. I had a 2006 BMW 330xi that I bought new and it had about 75k miles on it. For many of the same reasons that you stated, I decided to trade her in and get a new 2011 GTI.

I've had the GTI for about a month now and just 1100 miles this weekend. My thoughts? I love the GTI. I have no regrets whatsoever and I am more than happy with my decision.

So, if you won't miss the brand chache of MB, you'll love the GTI. I put a clear bra and 35% tints and plan to get APR stage I later this summer.

Good luck with your decision. :23:

Thanks! That is a very similar situation to mine and reassuring to hear that you are very happy with the GTI which replaces your 3-series, another excellent car. The VW dealer I am talking to has ordered a 2012 4dr GTI with sunroof in CSG (just like I want) requiring no commitment from me. ETA is 8/29/11 so I have some time to think about it and time to drive the Benz a few thousand miles more maybe to "get it out of my system", ha ha. I typically only keep cars 2-3 years and then move on to the latest/greatest in my price range. I think with even just Stage 1 from APR the GTI would keep my interest for at least that long. They also seem to hold their value relatively well so I would be in good shape in 2-3 years. I may check back with you in a month or so to see if there's anything you miss about the BMW. One thing that I will miss is the automatic dual zone climate control...and maybe the styling of the Benz.

GTI-OCD

Ready to race!
Just my 2 cents, but I just got out of a 2001 Porsche 911 that rattled like a can of nails, and the GTI is solid / dead quiet. As for driving a luxury car vs the GTI, I come from a modest upbringing too, but have driven BMWs and Porsches for the past 10 years. Sure some people you don't know are going to judge you or have a bias towards who they THINK drives that sort of car, but frankly who gives a f**k, that's their problem. Your friends and family know who you are and you shouldn't have to dumb down the quality of the things you buy because some prejudice assholes think that all BMW / Merc drivers are dicks. They are quality cars and if you can afford them, go for it.

With that said, the GTI does hit above its weight class in terms of quality, driver experience and performance. When chipped, it will outperform the 350 and 328, and the $10K you save gives you more room to personalize it through mods. I'm really enjoying the car, but to be honest if I weren't monetarily strapped from a recent divorce, I would probably be driving a 3 series BMW.

Last edited:

MBorVW

Go Kart Champion
Just my 2 cents, but I just got out of a 2001 Porsche 911 that rattled like a can of nails, and the GTI is solid / dead quiet. As for driving a luxury car vs the GTI, I come from a modest upbringing too, but have driven BMWs and Porsches for the past 10 years. Sure some people you don't know are going to judge you or have a bias towards who they THINK drives that sort of car, but frankly who gives a f**k, that's their problem. Your friends and family know who you are and you shouldn't have to dumb down the quality of the things you buy because some prejudice assholes think that all BMW / Merc drivers are dicks. They are quality cars and if you can afford them, go for it.

With that said, the GTI does hit above its weight class in terms of quality, and when chipped, it will outperform the 350's and 328, and you have more room to personalize it through mods. Its a fun, youthful car.

You have a great point there! Life is too short to worry about what others think plus it's not like I'm driving around a freakin' S class or M5... People that don't know cars though just see a badge. My uncles are all car guys and think the C350 is a sweet ride. That being said we do have some jealous friends...although starting to wonder how true friends can be jealous rather than happy for my wife and I who have worked our tails off to acheive a decent living (not rich by any means). We have a nice house and nice cars but never flaunt anything. Just having better stuff seems to have created distance between our old friends and us...sad but I guess that's human nature. Sorry for the rambling but it's been on my mind a lot lately.

I've researched everything in the sub $30k price range and the GTI is the only car that I would consider at this point. I do like the youthful nature of the car with the grown-up interior and the ability to make it a screamer for only $500. I'll probably go for it, just waiting on that 2012 to arrive for a test drive.

SwiftGTI

Go Kart Champion
Hey Guys, I am new here but not new to car forums as I am a car FANATIC. Lately I'm bored with my Benz and considering a 2012 GTI with DSG and sunroof. I have driven a 2010 and 2011 and I'm very impressed with the handling, ample power, and gas mileage, not to mention the very high class feel of the interior. The ability to tune the GTI is also a big bonus and I would go Stage 1 APR as soon as I get the GTI. 254 hp and 303 lb tq. is insane for a car this size and should do circles around my C350. My C is sporty in a lux-sport sort of way and it is a great car, but it is not as "tossable" as the GTI and there is no way to tune for more power...

I just ran out of warranty on the C350 too which does scare me a bit as MB's are not cheap to fix. However, this C class is the most reliable in many years. Gas mileage is just so so as well only getting 25-26mpg on my 45 miles/day commute. In town or stop/go traffic that goes way down...

A lot of people are moving to smaller more fuel-efficient cars with the price of gas and I do think the GTI is the most fun for the $$$ in the small car segment. Interior dimensions are nearly identical to my C350 so I don't think I will feel cramped in the GTI.

Amidst my ramblings I guess I'm looking for someone to convince me that I will love the GTI so much that I won't miss the Benz. I expect this to be the case as I'm carving back roads and getting 30+mpg (saving money and having fun). Would you trade the C for the GTI?

Someone in my family has a 2008 C300. The styling looks great for a sport sedan -- classy, with a hint of athleticism. I prefer the way the GTI drives though. It's more nimble and responsive, and the steering has MUCH more heft and feel to it. The GTI may actually have more room in the rear seats. Gas mileage is also better on the GTI.

The GTI is a practical FWD hatch, the C class is a proper RWD sport sedan. Really just depends what you're looking for.

mitsuplexnyc

Ready to race!
do it :)

AZN_C300

Ready to race!
Honestly, keep the w204 imo. Remember, the new w204 model was the first model built entirely by MB after the Daimler fiasco in terms of reliability. Now that you're out of warranty, you can start playing with performance mods. The choice is yours, but remember who the target audience is you're asking. If you hit up the MB forums, they'll tell you to keep the MB. If you hit up VW forums, they'll tell you to keep the VW. Fit to finish though, your MB is much better built after having owned both.

I will admit, it's much cheaper to mod a VW than it is an MB. Are you on any of the MB forums?

wutsupdoc1

Ready to race!
I love my GTI. Far superior to my last car.

But then again, my last car was a Chevrolet Impala :lol:

Still, I do not regret in the least buying my GTI. It's literally exactly what I wanted, not even just in the price range. Short of buying some $60,000+ car, I would take my GTI over anything else.

Just my thoughts :w00t:

ElectricEye

Autocross Newbie
amen to that. I had my first BMW before getting the GTI - it was really nice at first, then I felt like a dbag when I drove it, no matter what I did :lol: The GTI is a great all-around car that is so capable at many things - being fuel efficient, family oriented, sporty/track-able, and a great commuter car.

Yep, often times for around town driving or even short distance trips under 30miles or so, we will still take my car to get the better hwy mpg, haha..

X2
I had a 3 Series in 2001 (a 2000 model) and I couldn't help but to think that I was now "that d-bag in the BMW."
I'm a car guy too, and was just happy to be driving one of the most well reviewed cars on the road - like I am now in my GTI.
I've got a brother in law who thinks he's a car guy, but became an arrogant J.O. who know shit about cars now - he only knows badges!
He never mentioned my GTI since I got it!

GTi-GUY86

Ready to race!
Well here is my two cents on the topic. I have been in a few different Merc's (My parents C55, E55, and S500) and honestly I like my GTI WAY more than the Merc's any day. (outside of the AMG power lol) Like you said, the GTI is nice and nimble for a vehicle of its size and is very fuel efficient. For the car seat issue, I haul two in the back of mine and I have a 2 door! Still plenty of space for the kids and I'm still comfortable up front. Hope this helps and good luck with your choice.