GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Big Brake Kit?

SharkBlueTDI

Just larger rotors, GTI sized with un painted calipers and carriers like the sport wagons are.

So basically the same as someone doing GTI brakes on a golf.

Spot on, Spot on, reused my calipers, just switched over the A3 carrier and 312 rotors. No need to bleed brakes this way, plus I didn't think the red calipers would look so hot on shark blue

AUDI JUICE

Ready to race!
For the OP or anyone reading this thread...

I currently have two vehicles. One of them is a TRD Supercharged Toyota X-runner with Stoptech BBK upgrade. Very Very impressive. Ive owned 2 Stoptech Kits previously. Not cheap, but awsome!

For my MK6 Tdi I elected to do an "oem plus" upgrade. GTI carriers and rotors, Neuspeed braided lines, Tyrol Sport caliper stiffening kit, and Stoptech Pads. It is absolutely a sports car caliber set up. You wont regret going this way

Long story short... Save your money and do not go BBK. Gti upgrade (with the right pads of course) is one of the best investments you can make in your car. I cannot even count how many times I stopped just short of someone's rear bumper with the old TDI set up. It was extremely dangerous! Just look up the stock 60-0 braking distances. Some tests have it in the mid 140 foot range. You should easily be able to shed 25+ feet with this set up.

Last edited:

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
If you stick with rotor less than 330mm, I think you'll be fine. It also all depends on your wheels', offset, however.

I have 18x8 OZ Ultraleggera wheels (they have a 45mm offset) and can tell you these brakes do not fit. I printed out the template from ECS, and it was waaaay too close for comfort.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--TDI/Braking/ECS_Stage_5/ES7366/

That being said, these brakes are for a Porsche Cayenne. I was told a 40mm offset is safe for clearance, but who has that kind of offset on our vehicle?! I don't see them being compatible on too many VW Golfs/GTIs. We also don't need the stopping power of a 5,500 pound SUV.
The cayenne calipers fit fine under 18 inch oz ultra's. Also the braking power is very strong for high performance driving and gentle enough for city driving.

Defcon888

Passed Driver's Ed
ABS modules they have been using for a long time are what control that including bias from to rear. The master cylinder may be able to move X amount of fluid but the ABS module says what it does with that.

This is why you can put on a 6 piston kit on any of them and not get a mushy pedal, the ABS handles all that.

I just recently upgraded my stock TDI brakes to GTI rotors and ebc red stuff, kept the stock brake lines, and bled/flushed the entire system. I can definitely feel the better initial bite and much harder grip when I brake hard.

Yet my pedal is still mushy and airy sometimes, like any modern car with a brake booster. Yet, if I turn DSC off, my pedal gets a lot firmer without all that play. Is this the doing of the ABS pump?

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
I like your brake upgrade and agree it is probably the most cost effective path to take.

However, I did want to comment on one thing:
I cannot even count how many times I stopped just short of someone's rear bumper with the old TDI set up. It was extremely dangerous! Just look up the stock 60-0 braking distances. Some tests have it in the mid 140 foot range.

This is pretty much untrue... The Golf TDI already stops better than the GTI does even with its OEM brake setup. 132 feet from 60-0 as tested by Road & Track (vs. 143 ft for the GTI in the same test); or 121 ft as tested by Edmund's Inside Line (vs. 130 ft for the GTI in the same test).

I do agree the stock TDI brakes (stock Golf brakes) are nothing spectacular; but they are certainly not more hazardous than any other average $25K-$30K vehicle.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Yet my pedal is still mushy and airy sometimes, like any modern car with a brake booster. Yet, if I turn DSC off, my pedal gets a lot firmer without all that play. Is this the doing of the ABS pump?

Are you just pressing the button and shutting ASR off or did you actually change the coding and are disabling ESP?

ASR is just for front wheel slip and turning it off should make no change in the ABS system in regards to brake pressure.

Disabling ESP I could maybe see it.

All these cars even the gtis will have a semi mushy pedal that fades to the bottom when sitting parked. I haven't seen any real issues with it driving them though. Tap the pedal a few times and it usually firms up a little.

SFGiants

Ready to race!
Finished my brake upgrade earlier tonight. Replaced the rear with StopTech pads and drilled rotors. Went with StopTech ST-40 (328mm) in the front. Also painted the rear calipers red to match the front. It's looking pretty nasty - I'll post pics when I get a chance.

As for warning messages- obviously the big yellow brake warning light in the MFI displays since the pad-wear sensor was removed. This light is intermittent and seems to go on every few minutes or so. However, I've also got a little, permanent red warning light that says "BRAKE" - not inside the MFI but in the speedo. Does anybody know if this is normal?

If I remember correctly, this little red warning light displayed when the hand brake was engaged. Now, when the hand brake is engaged, there is an additional red warning light in tach that says "PARK". I'm exhausted right now and could be dreaming this up - but this is how I remember it before the upgrade.

Last edited:

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
Cut the connectors off your stock pads and crimp the wires together with a butt connector to take care of the pad warning light.

The red brake warning light could come on for low fluid, make sure your fluid level is fine.

Park should be lit up wen you pull the parking brake handle up, that probably didn't change.

SFGiants

Ready to race!
Cut the connectors off your stock pads and crimp the wires together with a butt connector to take care of the pad warning light.

The red brake warning light could come on for low fluid, make sure your fluid level is fine.

Park should be lit up wen you pull the parking brake handle up, that probably didn't change.

Thanks for the quick reply. That's a good idea. I was planning on getting vag-com for my car, so I think I'll just wait instead and re-program it that way. I believe this is possible - please correct me if this is not the case.

I checked my fluid level when all was done and it seemed fine. I will double check it again today when I'm home.

Chris@Revo USA

Go Kart Champion
the brake light might be on for the open circuit as well since cars without the mfa would still need a warning.

I broke my wire doing something forget exactly what and can't recall if I coded mine out or if i spliced it. So not sure if it can be coded out on these, may vary by cluster.

AUDI JUICE

Ready to race!
This is pretty much untrue... The Golf TDI already stops better than the GTI does even with its OEM brake setup. 132 feet from 60-0 as tested by Road & Track vs. 143
Yes, that was the test I was thinking of. 143ft was the number I had remembered, but it was for the GTI, you are right. So basically I upgraded my brakes to a setup from a car that scores 143 in the 60-0, haha. Shity stock pads were to blame for that wretched score.

Saabstory

.:R32 OG Member # 002
Yes, that was the test I was thinking of. 143ft was the number I had remembered, but it was for the GTI, you are right. So basically I upgraded my brakes to a setup from a car that scores 143 in the 60-0, haha. Shity stock pads were to blame for that wretched score.

1 more time, that would be a yes and a no :D

Remember that the GTI is heavier than the TDI is; and it has 18 inch wheels which weight close to 8 pounds more per wheel. That's a lot more stopping force required just to equal the TDI, let alone to beat it.

Upgrading to the GTI calipers and rotor size, even with only OEM equipment, will still be a big improvement on the TDI due to the added heat capacity and increased surface area for the pad.

Non-OEM pads will make a big difference as well; but as with any mod you have to think of the overall package rather than any individual component. :thumbsup:

nikhsub1

What?
Just installed my gently used new to me VWR BBK :D I have never had solid mounted calipers before on any VW, it takes a bit of getting used to. The R brakes are no slouch, but these are sex, and according to APR I just shed 36lbs up front :thumbup: