GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wheel allignment advice.

Estate87

This is starting to drive me mad now. I've had my wheel allignment checked and (apparently) adjusted twice by 2 reputable garages and both times the steering wheel still doesn't seem to be completely straight??? As far as I can tell there's nothing bent or broken on the front so I've got no idea why it seems so hard for the allignment to be set straight? Anyone else had any other problems having there allignment set correctly? The only orher thing I've changed since the last time I had it done is putting some new steel wheels on it with a slightly different ET. Although it was obviously out of allign before doing this. The steel wheels the we're on it form factory are an ET50 and the new ones are an ET42 would this really matter??

Thanks

red_stapler

Ready to race!
The steel wheels the we're on it form factory are an ET50 and the new ones are an ET42 would this really matter??

It wouldn't. The offset doesn't change the direction the wheels are pointing.

zrickety

The Fixer
I went through this too... went to 2 different shops and got different alignments and the wheel was never straight. The car did drive straight, so I just moved both tie rods the same amount (maybe a quarter turn?) until the wheel was centered.

Estate87

Yeah my car drives straight too the same as yours, it's just that the wheel isn't straight. Soooo annoying.

MrFancypants

Autocross Champion
Get some toe plates and a VCDS. Using the toe plates make your measurement then adjust the tie rods, after your adjustment make sure the toe plates measure the same. When the steering wheel is straight, use the VCDS to calibrate the steering angle sensor.

I don't know what it is about this car or VW dealerships, but I can't get a good alignment either.

Estate87

Thanks Short Bus I might have to try that as I'm at the end of my patience with it. I even make sure the subframe is tight every time I go and get it looked at as I know it's common on the Golfs for the bolts to work themselves loose.