GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Downpipe Subframe Mount Failure

1BoostedMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
Good Evening Everyone,

I noticed what i thought to be a slight exhaust leak a few days ago, so i went to investigate today and found my SPM downpipe has broken the 2 hangers that go into the rubber sub-frame mount. I contacted SPM and am waiting to hear their solution. I also tried searching for the specific attachments that are on the downpipe to connect to the rubber mount, but had no luck. I Only found the rubber subframe mount itself. I was curious if anyone had any solutions or ideas on how to fix this problem other than a new downpipe lol. Here are a few pictures to help better illustrate what i am referring to:

Blakcard

Autocross Newbie
no pics

torga

Autocross Champion
No photos were uploaded. But going off your description alone, you don't have many options outside of getting a new DP. Sounds like nothing broke on the car, except the hangers on the DP itself.

I suppose you could take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld the hangers back onto the DP as a quick fix.

1BoostedMK6

Passed Driver's Ed

I have 2 pictures uploaded on my screen. Maybe the google photos album wasn’t shareable or something. Sorry about that.

1BoostedMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
If SPM doesnt offer a new one take it to a muffler shop.
They should be able to weld it back together and probably better considering the welds must have been pretty bad to break off in the first place.

Sounds like the plan. They said they don’t make just the hinges that are welded onto the DP which makes sense. Both mine snapped off, so I guess its seeing which is cheaper a muffler shop or buying the small section from the turbo to the hanger, which SPM does make.

1BoostedMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
No photos were uploaded. But going off your description alone, you don't have many options outside of getting a new DP. Sounds like nothing broke on the car, except the hangers on the DP itself.

I suppose you could take it to an exhaust shop and have them weld the hangers back onto the DP as a quick fix.

Yup you are indeed correct sir. Very strange how it happened. Must have scrapped something since my wheels and suspension are perfectly fine. Don’t think it was from a bump or pot hole.

1BoostedMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
Thank you for the advice and responses everyone. Always appreciated.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Yup you are indeed correct sir. Very strange how it happened. Must have scrapped something since my wheels and suspension are perfectly fine. Don’t think it was from a bump or pot hole.

I would check your motor mounts for play. The only way that can happen is for the motor to shift enough to put significant movement from the turbo to the subframe. I don't think a pothole would be enough to do that. Launching the car with stock motor/trans mounts enough times would do it.

1BoostedMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
I would check your motor mounts for play. The only way that can happen is for the motor to shift enough to put significant movement from the turbo to the subframe. I don't think a pothole would be enough to do that. Launching the car with stock motor/trans mounts enough times would do it.

Thank You for the recommendation. I have heard others say motor movement is a cause of that problem. Hopefully I can just bolt this $200 turbo to hanger pipe up from SPM and be good to go.

1BoostedMK6

Passed Driver's Ed
Is SPM providing the part?
I would imagine welding from a muffler shop would be cheaper than that.

Yup. They were actually out of stock on the one on their site, but John from SPM had some demo versions of the same piece he sold me at a very reduced price. Hopefully problem solved once that arrives next Monday. :thumbsup: