GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

front bumper and headlight removal guide

gunmetal5

Ready to race!
Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage done to your car if you have followed MY guide. I broke a few minor clips on my car while doing this, so dont hold me responsible for any mistakes made.

Note: Keep track of which screw belongs where because the screw threads are not all the same.

Tools:
T25 Torq screw driver
Brain

Time:
It took me a long time because I was not 100% focused, but it could take an individual under 2 hours to complete this task.

Step 1- Remove the 4 screws using T25 torq screw driver.

Step 2- Remove the grill by pulling out from the lower left corner. It will require some balls to yank this thing out, but dont worry it wont break. Refer to the picture below to see how the grill clips into the front bumper. Once the left side is out, pull out the right using the same method.

Step 3- Turn your tire all the way to the left side. Remove the 5 screws inside your right wheel well. Then turn your wheels to the other side and remove the remaining 5 screws on the left side. The very top screw is different from the rest. Note: I forgot to take a pix of all 5 screws. lol

I lost my fog light wheel well cover, I dont know how :/ make sure you push your cover in often so it doesnt pop out.

Step 4- Remove the last 2 screws from the front of the bumper

Step 5- Pull the left part of your bumper out, the part that is attached to the fender. The clips are the same as the grill clips. It'll take some will power to pop the bumper off, even when you think it cant be pulled any more, pull a little more and the bumper will pop out. Same steps for the right side.

Step 6- Once both outer sides are popped out, pull the bumper out a bit and let it drop and rests on the foam that is located between the bumper and car body.

Step 7- Now you can remove the headlight. Unscrew the 4 screws. Note: make sure you hold on the screw located behind the headlight, bc itll fall down. It happened to me! :mad0259:

Step 8- Unclip the wire-harness by pulling back on the small rectangular tab and pull the two parts apart. Note: dont use a screwdriver to pry off two parts like I did, I broke my rectangular tab :/ Oh well learn from my mistake!

Step 9- The headlight is attached to a plate that has groves, refer to the picture below to see where the grooves are located. Pull the headlight out away from the car. Pull the headlights out from the car. It'll only pull out in one direction lol.
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_5AEVkokTUEo/TX5R2sOd0BI/AAAAAAAAFRs/eSbhPM1PsvM/s800/IMG_1622.JPG

Step 10- Do what ever you want, install after market or OEM headlights, or just remove the stock headlights for kicks and put them back on. do what ever you like!

Notes: When putting the car back together, dont do the following:
Make sure the grill is under the cover and the circular grooves are inside the circular holes.

When screw together your wheel well, make sure the different screw is on the very top, and 4 same screws are on the lower 4 holes.

Be sure to make sure your new/original lights are readjusted so they are they do not blind on coming traffic. I didnt adjust my lights, and I was able to light the windows on second story buildings.

Check out the following pictures. I installed Spyder Headlights that were/are on group buy on the vendor section of our great forum. Instead of putting my stock H7 halogen bulbs, I put a set of DDM tuning HID kit, I think 5000k kit.

Check out the color different from stock halogen bulbs to the HID 5000k kit I installed.
The bottom is fogs, and top is low beams.

I'm not a super car tech, but I am a computer tech and I can BS my way around a car. I learned this knowledge through out my search over this wonderful forum, and google.
Good luck with your fun car work everyone :D

Last edited:

KaiSTrikes_MKVI

Ready to race!
I haz that except for the 5K DDM kit ... do u have the raptor ? or their digital slim ?
and did you buy the error cancellers too ?

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
Thanks for writing this up; i have yet to install mine, this will help...

phd-12v

Go Kart Champion
nice write up and exactly what needs to be done. I have taken mine apart so many times, i could do the whole removal in 10 minutes now. LOL

haleyann

Go Kart Champion
wow i wish this was up earlier when i took my bumper off. i think we broke some clips... my bumper still isn't on straight...

GTIGTI1

Ready to race!
Thanks for the writeup! Will definitely use it.

Btw, do you happen to have more pics (from further away?)

gunmetal5

Ready to race!
Um I can post more pics from a further distance. I still don't think I have my lights positioned properly. But I don't think I'm blinding other drivers so I'm probably good.

Thanks guys, it was a fun and def needed write up for this forum. It was a team effort from the forum.

gunmetal5

Ready to race!

I think I need to bring my right light more inside because I feel like it is spreading out right too much. iono

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
Great write up sir! Hopefully help a lot of people with this.

nice write up and exactly what needs to be done. I have taken mine apart so many times, i could do the whole removal in 10 minutes now. LOL

Almost got it to that time, but we remove the bottom screws and just take the the bumper completely off just to make it easier to work with :laugh:

haleyann said:
wow i wish this was up earlier when i took my bumper off. i think we broke some clips... my bumper still isn't on straight...

Zipties are your friend ;) :D

jakepetersen91

I bought a set of Spyder LED DRLS with an 6k HID kit already installed from JM Auto Racing. The installation went perfectly but now am facing an issue.

I was also given a pair of capacitors that would avoid me receiving an error indictor on my dash. However I can't figure out how or where the Capacitor plugs in. Right now I have been driving around without them and my DRLs, Turn signals, Parking lights, and High Beams all run, but when I turn the switch to run my normal lights they do not turn on. Has anyone faced this issue and know how to install the capacitor or why my headlights wont turn on? Thanks so much for your post again!!!!

gunmetal5

Ready to race!
i'm not sure. I took out my spyder headlights ever since I been thinking of trading in my car. When I take my car in for appraising, I wanted to be as stock as stock could be.

RiVoT1

Ready to race!
so i juststarted doing this, it's going well... just a clarification, do you not need to unscrew all hte ones under the bumper front? is the bumper not really coming all the way off? thx!