GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

1000$ budget Hp increase reliable

Chainspike

Ready to race!
lol a thousand isn't going to get you far in the land of VW. German car upgrades = $$. I'd say be looking at 4-5g budget for some nice power.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
Get the tune and downpipe. You'll enjoy a nice bump and you can add supporting mods like intercooler and intake later to wring out every last bit from the K03.

Along the way, if you have the cash, maybe do something like coilovers and wheels. The money I spent on these arguably 'cosmetic' mods could probably have gotten me to a K04, but I'm enjoying stage 2 and really enjoy the nice drop that my coils gave me.

EDIT: If bang for your buck is your biggest concern, go with a godspeed dp, and a do it yourself intake. Like other have said, you'll feel like you're driving a different car.

Last edited:

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
42 Draft Designs 3" Down Pipe with Cat $485
Tune (Example APR loaded ECU on sale) $599
Bang for the buck intake Injen SRI $270 ish on line

That's Stage 2 for a little over $1200 not counting labor. You can get cheaper down pipes if money is tight. Godspeed on e-bay for instance but for quality DP at a reasonable price 42dd is hard to beat

JP

jp0319

Go Kart Champion
Is that really the case? There were a couple posts this week or last calculating that once you're done with the supporting mods and and installation, K04 works out to about $7k.

For the record: http://golfmk6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=534323&postcount=10

Now, I understand that some of those things are not really needed - the APR IC, or the Southbend Clutch (initially), or heck, even a catback...but at bare minimum you're on the hook for the K04, DP, probably an intake, S3 IC, inevitably a clutch (unless DSG?), and install....

The figures that were posted figure no sale pricing. I dont know of many people who buy APR stuff not on sale so that saves hundreds over those prices.

Example zero to KO4 plan costs (for a DSG)...

42dd 3" TBE with Cat $980 + S&H
APR Intercooler $940 + S&H (on sale)
APR Carbonio Stage 1/2 $450 + S&H (on sale)
APR KO4 Kit $2400 (on sale)
APR KO4 Software for existing customers $299 (not sure but I think the software is not included).
Install (Quote from BFI) $560

Total is $5629, you could do it for less (Under $5000) with an S3 intercooler, and a cheaper intake (or just Carbonio Stage I), it also depends on how much you can do yourself vs having a shop do and how much additional labor will be for the TBE and IC.

JP

Last edited:

[shingo]

Passed Driver's Ed
I think I'l go for the Stage 1+ for the time being and take my time to choose a good intake and downpipe.

Banshee1

Go Kart Champion
I was kind of kidding anyway...

veedoubleme

Go Kart Champion
I think I'l go for the Stage 1+ for the time being and take my time to choose a good intake and downpipe.

That's a smart move. Can't go wrong with Stage 1, and it's suck a kick in the pants! :happyanim: