GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Replacing my engine

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Engine is in the car and running great. Took the whole weekend to install as I put the clutch disk on backwards :(
Got in the car fired it up after getting the oil pressure pumped up just to realize the clutch didnt feel right. So I got to pull the engine half way back out and pulled the tranny. Installed tranny by myself which wasnt easy. Didnt have car high enough on stands so rolling tranny Jack wouldn't fit under the car. I did have driver side flange off which helped a bit. I cracked my heater core in the process or at least the plastic nipples. Just bypassed it as I wont need it for another 6 months (texas) car feels strong but not going to run it hard until first oil change.

qwop

So how do you know which way the clutch plate goes without trial and error. Didn't take pictures of how the clutch plate was mounted whoops.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Well, i possibly could have taken a pic during removal but I was just tearing everything down. I figured I would just look it up but couldnt find anything until I came across the pic below..there isnt a huge difference in the 2 sides except one protrudes out a bit more. Rule of thumb I have noticed is the disk grooves should look like they are spinning the direction the motor turns. You will notice what I'm talking about when you see the disk. Lesson learned, I couldnt believe I put it in backwards.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
My turbo is leaking oil and water. Not enough to warrant panic as I have been driving and monitoring it closely. But in the next few weeks I'm going to be replacing the water line which might involve pulling the turbo. I did notice my stock motor mounts are trash so when I replace those I will likely just lift the motor and do turbo work.
Or if my wife insists that I not spend anymore time with it I will take to my local shop..

qwop

I see what you mean about the direction of the grooves on the clutch plate. Thanks for the tip! Also where did you get a remanufactured block from? I might have to go for one if I cant find a decent used option.

Allchokedup

Autocross Champion
Sorry it's been a year and I'm just replying. There is a local vw guy that rebuilds them. I'm in texas but you give him your block and 2k and you have a solid rebuild. I have put about 30-40k miles on it and I have a heavy foot.
Not sure if Zaz will ship motors as he is about 70 yrs old but you could definitely come pick one up from him.