GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Audi S4 Avant: Long Term Project

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
I figure I might as well try to keep some sort of record of this project and more people on this forum seem interested than anywhere else so it's going here :lol:

After a lot of thought, research, and testing I concluded that the best 1-car solution for me to run year-round on street and track would be an AWD Wagon with manual transmission. That REALLY narrows down the choices. In North America recently, there is the B7 S4 Avant and the F10 BMW 535ix Touring. The S4 is cheaper, lighter, smaller, faster, and actually has more cargo space so it is the car I went with.

The day I made that decision, one was listed for sale 75 miles from me. High mileage but cheap and clean looking. Since my long term plan is to replace most components of the car anyway, I went ahead and bought it last month:

2006 Audi S4 Avant Quattro MT6 Premium
340 hp V8 at 7000 RPM, 0-60 in 5 seconds stock :burnrubber:

http://www.audiworld.com/model/s4/06/S4 avant tech.pdf

All of this for cheaper than a used MK6 GTI: $15000

Why so cheap? Well it had a lot of miles on it (128k) and needed some work. List of issues:

OEM battery on the weak side. Still started fine even sitting on the lot in winter but it did not pass battery test. $120 and 10 minutes to put a new one in.

Valve cover gaskets leak oil, 2-3 drops per night. $90 for replacement kit, easy to install.

HID bulbs occasionally flicker and driver's side goes out. Replaced them with a $40 pair on Amazon, problem solved.

Controller for Adaptive headlight on passenger's side doesn't work so lights don't follow corners yet. Part is $200 and simple to replace.

All 5 wheels are curbed (yes 5 - the spare is a full-size BBS identical to the other 4). Don't care, I want light weight wheels anyway.

All-season tires are near the end of their life. Don't care, I want dedicated summers and winters.

OEM brake pads and rotors are near end end of their life. Don't care, I want lightweight rotors and better pads.

Suspension, control arms, tie rods are all original - still feels fine but should be replaced soon enough. Don't care, they all will be upgraded anyway.

Clutch isn't slipping but it is original and should be replaced preventatively. Don't care, it needs an upgrade anyway.

Things that are wrong with a lot of used B6/B7 S4's that are NOT wrong with this one: zero timing chain rattles, zero oil consumption, good compression on all 8 cylinders.

The Fun Part, Planned Mods

Power:
JHM Stage 4 clutch and lightweight flywheel kit - $1650
Eliminate pre-cats from stock downpipes - $free
JHM ECU tune $500
JHM Stage 1 supercharging kit - $8200

These 3 items alone will put me at approximately 500 hp. The supercharger will probably not be happening until 2014, but the clutch is happening next week as step 1 and the downpipes along with an ECU tune will be happening this Spring sometime.

Handling:
Enkei RPF1 wheels 18x9 at 17 lbs with some kind of 265/35 high end tires
Bilstein PSS9 adjustable suspension
Hotchkis sway bars, 35mm front 29mm rear with adjustable endlinks
034 Motorsport adjustable control arms
Some kind of more solid tie rod ends inner and outer
Get to a good shop for corner weighting and alignment

Braking:
Keeping stock calipers for now, they are way better than GTI brakes already
2-piece lightweight slotted rotors: 345mm 16lbs front (compared to 26 lbs OEM), upgrade rears from 300mm to 330mm
Brake pads: undecided
stainless lines and Castrol SRF fluid most likely

Replace/upgrade motor, trans, diff, snub mounts, subframe and other various bushings

Wavetrac rear LSD (should be better than the B8 S4 "sport diff")

Weight reduction:
Replace stock 60 lb battery with either 5 lb Lithium in stock location or beefier AGM unit relocated to trunk
Replace stock 70 lb steel hood with ~13 lb carbon fiber hood
Lightweight wheels saves 7 lbs each
Rotors save 10 lbs on both front corners
Flywheel saves 13 lbs at engine

Cosmetics and other crap:
Rubber Audi Sport Floor Mats
OEM RS4 Pedals
Some kind of smaller flat-bottom steering wheel, undecided which
Replace basically every light bulb with LED's inside and out
Update RNS-E Nav DVD to current firmware and maps
Tons of vag-com changes
Replace OEM CD Changer with Dension ipod/aux input, controllable from steering wheel buttons
Add OEM iphone dock to center armrest, connects directly to stereo and to external antenna to help crap reception out in PA

That's about all I have on the list for now, will continue to update in the future.

Last edited:

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
sex

NYCSuits

Go Kart Champion
You got it for $15000?! GTFO...I figured they would be priced in the mid 20k's

mk6medic

Go Kart Champion
Ahhhhh yeah boy! Can't wait to see the progress on this mofo!

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Very nice, perfect in every way. The thought of that V8 firing up got me excited :eek:

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Updated OP with some plans and stuff.

Clutch started acting a bit funky last weekend so I went ahead and ordered the stage 4 clutch and flywheel kit along with a new slave cylinder.

The car is now up on stands in the garage waiting for me to get the parts and do the swap. I started the teardown last night, unfortunately will be out of town until Monday night so most of the work won't really happen until next weekend. 750 mile break-in period on the Kevlar clutch disc is going to be annoying so I figure I should get it started as soon as possible.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Weight reduction on a 3700lb car is a little silly, especially considering a rice boy CF hood.

Keep the car classy, its one of the best looking audis ever made :)

Oh and why not go with gunmetal RS4 reps?! Or maybe even black and tint the windows. It would look sinister.

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Dropping over 100 lbs off the front end of a front heavy car should have a very noticeable (positive) impact on handling.

CF hood will be painted to match the body anyway, the car will look exactly the same. One of my possible really long term plans on top of the CF hood is a full RS4 Avant widebody conversion, ordering the bumpers and (lightweight aluminum) fenders from Germany then having the whole car repainted (probably metallic blue or something, not boring black) but that is big $$ and not going to happen for a long time if ever.

Wheel choice is easy: RPF1 is the lightest 18x9 wheel that I can find to fit the car (5x112 ET 35). All silver though no matter what wheels I get. I hate the stealth look.

Tint plans are 3M Crystalline 70 all around including windshield. Want heat reduction, don't want visibility reduction.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Oh and these cars sound amazing with a nice exhaust :)

troyguitar

Go Kart Champion
Yeah headers and/or cat-back are on the "eventually" list. They also add a lot of torque and power on this car, just not nearly as much as the supercharger so it comes first.

If I go "big power" after the supercharger it will be headers, cat-back, ported intake manifold and heads, forged rods, pistons, all upgraded valvetrain etc. for more like 800 hp and 8000 or so RPM - lot of $$ though so it's all way down the line.