GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock 11 6MT GTI v. Newer Mazdaspeed 3

Bose

Ready to race!
After a couple weeks I've gotten confident with my new 11. 500 miles on the odo. Coming home from work on Sat had a 2010(?) Mazdaspeed 3 next to me and lots of open road ahead. Running about 35 mph, he's about a car-length ahead and hits it hard. Black smoke pours out his exhaust. I drop to 2nd and floor it. Caught him in about 5 secs and pulled away in 4th gear. Probably a bad driver but it felt good nonetheless.

EvoX1

Ready to race!
i know 3 guys with mazdaspeed 3. they have gone through 7 engines and i think 4 turbos collectively... yay mazda

That being said, nice kill op!

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
i know 3 guys with mazdaspeed 3. they have gone through 7 engines and i think 4 turbos collectively... yay mazda

How many motor mounts, fuel pumps etc? lol.

Drivers error on the MS3's part. You could have easily gotten spanked.

EvoX1

Ready to race!
How many motor mounts, fuel pumps etc? lol.

Drivers error on the MS3's part. You could have easily gotten spanked.

lol, by 7 engines and 4 turbo i mean, 7 complete engine failures, and 4 replaced turbos on the engines while they were healthy

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
The 3 should have easily spanked you so it was either driver error or an issue with his motor. You neede Stage I to keep with a stock 3.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
lol, by 7 engines and 4 turbo i mean, 7 complete engine failures, and 4 replaced turbos on the engines while they were healthy

Oh, I'm with you. I also moderate two Mazda forums and have a number of local friends who have popped holes in their blocks.

My point was the motors peripherals also fail (mounts and fuel pumps).

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I kept up with a new CTS-V today too :lol: guy was probably 60, and smoking a cigar while he was driving...

Stanielz

Ready to race!
Oh, I'm with you. I also moderate two Mazda forums and have a number of local friends who have popped holes in their blocks.

My point was the motors peripherals also fail (mounts and fuel pumps).

o_O at what horse power level are these mazdaspeed 3 engines breaking? also 1st gen or 2nd gen?

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
Those motors can pop when even lightly modded. I know two that had intakes and BOV's - holes popped in the block. Wrong gear, engine speed and load can = boom. Motors the same on both gens.

rossman869

I know this is slightly off topic and will come as no surprise to any of you, but had to share anyways. Tonight on way home from dinner, some guy in a new Toyota Corolla 4 door decides to attempt to race me on the freeway. After an impressive (for a Corolla) 50 mph roundabout (I think the posted speed was 20 mph and the GTI didn't even feel like it wanted to step out while I was watching the Corolla "roll" around the corner) from the 405 south to the 133 north I pulled on side of him and taunted him while in 4th gear. I know mean right??? He floored it to only wind up seeing my taillights in a matter of seconds. Shit I hadn't even hit 5th gear and he was a spec in my mirror. Serious???

tehHooligan

Ready to race!
I know this is slightly off topic and will come as no surprise to any of you, but had to share anyways. Tonight on way home from dinner, some guy in a new Toyota Corolla 4 door decides to attempt to race me on the freeway. After an impressive (for a Corolla) 50 mph roundabout (I think the posted speed was 20 mph and the GTI didn't even feel like it wanted to step out while I was watching the Corolla "roll" around the corner) from the 405 south to the 133 north I pulled on side of him and taunted him while in 4th gear. I know mean right??? He floored it to only wind up seeing my taillights in a matter of seconds. Shit I hadn't even hit 5th gear and he was a spec in my mirror. Serious???

If you have a riveting corella kill story consider posting it in a separate vs. post rather than jacking the thread.

McHaggard

i test drove a speed3 before i bought my gti. it really didn't feel any faster and after the ride, i opened the hood and it had a horrible burning plastic kinda smell. the horrible looks was already putting me off and that was the deal breaker. they might be faster to hit 60, but at least the gti can make it to the finish line.

nik

Go Kart Champion

On the protege forum they had a saying "zoom zoom boom" for the turbo'ed pros. I guess it's very true