GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Relay clicking under dash

mkvince

Go Kart Champion
It's 100% relay sound, this is not the argument!

The argument is why it happens and what is it?

When you said it's the relay sound, do you mean the the relay ticking or it's something loose inside the relay box? I mean I heard it coming from that side of the engine bay, but it sounds like a bouncing screw on a metal surface.

xHeartcoreboyx

IceCream GTI
Mine was perfectly digital/electrical sound, makes the sound when you pas 1k rpm from above or below constantly at that time.

michel

Ready to race!
bump, I've been hearing this in my car now that its warm out again - anyone have any solution yet?? Its SO annoying and dealer can never replicate (have to go on a really long drive to heat up enough)

michel

Ready to race!
^it looks like all of us who have a <=2010 GTI (TSI) are having this. No one in this thread seems to have an '11+ with this noise; but I may be mistaken.

Can a mod move the thread to General Discussion or GTI 2.0T Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Tunes sections for more relevant exposure? Not sure why its here to begin with and I don't want to create another thread for nothing...

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
2010. I still have this noise on warm/hot days. Mostly in city driving or stop and go. Sound comes in and out when clutching. Definitely a relay. Hasn't caused any issues yet but definitely wonder WTF it is.

ehancock

Ready to race!
Bump to see if anyone figured out what this is? I have the exact same thing happening as allset

ehancock

Ready to race!
Doing now research shows this could be a fuel pump relay... Wtf?

Sspcivic31

Drag Race Newbie
its not the fuel pump relay. its the after run coolant pump relay. it seems to get triggered when the radiator out temp and the engine coolant temp get within about 1-3C of each other. best way to get it clicking is to do stop and go driving with the a/c off on a warm day. my car does this too, and thats all i have been able to figure out. the clicking is occurring because the relay shuts off above 1000 rpm. if you have vcds you can hook up and watch whats going on. replacing the relay like some of the threads i have found does nothing.
best i can tell the ecu thinks the car needs to turn the afterrun pump on to circulate coolant thru the turbo, what i cant find is the parameters that set this behavior.

i also believe if you let the car idle for around ten minutes the timer on the circuit expires and it will stop clicking.

Last edited:

project92raddoslc

Go Kart Champion
My car does this as well, always during bumper to bumper traffic or if that car sat idling for awhile. Clicks at 1000k rpm on the dot.

CeD1

Passed Driver's Ed
I've had this as well and think its perfectly normal, VW just picked a bad place for a relay. Is it a bit annoying? Definitely.

The time it happens to me is when it's super hot outside, and typically on stop and go traffic (or slow speeds). When feathering the clutch that's when it's most noticeable for me. Not sure when it starts for DSG.

Probably something to do with cooling or fan control.

ehancock

Ready to race!
its not the fuel pump relay. its the after run coolant pump relay. it seems to get triggered when the radiator out temp and the engine coolant temp get within about 1-3C of each other. best way to get it clicking is to do stop and go driving with the a/c off on a warm day. my car does this too, and thats all i have been able to figure out. the clicking is occurring because the relay shuts off above 1000 rpm. if you have vcds you can hook up and watch whats going on. replacing the relay like some of the threads i have found does nothing.
best i can tell the ecu thinks the car needs to turn the afterrun pump on to circulate coolant thru the turbo, what i cant find is the parameters that set this behavior.

i also believe if you let the car idle for around ten minutes the timer on the circuit expires and it will stop clicking.

This all makes perfect sense and is way more insightful than anything I've read while trying to research the issue. I guess it's just a "deal with it" type thing at this point.