GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Wont Start

Stotrain

Hey guys,
I have a 2010 gti with 60k miles. Tried to start today and it wouldn't turn over. Car has power to lights and radio and battery is fine. When key is turned no dash lights illuminate and motor wont turn over. I have checked all fuses and are all good. Any help is appreciated, my current thought is the key mechanism has failed but dont want to start taking apart steering column if i dont have to.

uglybastard

Autocross Champion
Hey guys,
I have a 2010 gti with 60k miles. Tried to start today and it wouldn't turn over. Car has power to lights and radio and battery is fine. When key is turned no dash lights illuminate and motor wont turn over. I have checked all fuses and are all good. Any help is appreciated, my current thought is the key mechanism has failed but dont want to start taking apart steering column if i dont have to.

i'd honestly start there with the cylinder.

Last edited:

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Does it make a click or clunk upon turning the key?? Could be the starter! My starter went bad a while back and did what you describe.

Also VW’s do some funky shit when the battery is discharged which may not be immediately obvious as the lights etc may still appear to be ok at first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: