GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Nik's Boxes - Side or Underfloor Mount?

shappy

Passed Driver's Ed
Just curious why those that have gone this route went with the choice they did. I know that those that wanted a larger sub had to go with the side mount, but if I was just going to go with an 8" or shallow 10" sub, is there an advantage to going with a side mount (other than mounting depth flexibility)? Does the side mount sound better?

Thanks!

showin4fun

It would be nice to see some opinions on this subject. I always wondered if the under floor box once covered by the floor piece would sound muffled. But I ordered the under floor box from Nick anyway because I saw in his advertisement that he uses that style in his own car so it must be OK. I just have not got mine together yet, got to pick it up Monday at the warehouse.

Later........

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
I went with side after the fact...I purchased a full depth 12" sub because I listen to a lot of bass heavy electronics. I had a traditional box for a few months until I heard of Nik's work. I believe my full depth 12" was the first he ever did that wasn't a shallow mount.

JhnR

Banned
I went with side after the fact...I purchased a full depth 12" sub because I listen to a lot of bass heavy electronics. I had a traditional box for a few months until I heard of Nik's work. I believe my full depth 12" was the first he ever did that wasn't a shallow mount.

What kind of sub it is? I wanted to do the same, but i have currently a JL 12W6, and he said its doable but it will stick out more than usual. I will probably get a 10W6 and do that instead. Hits hard as a motherfucker.

alig20031

Passed Driver's Ed
If you want to fill the missing Dynaudio bottom end, go under floor.
If you want to rattle the windows, go with side mount.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
What kind of sub it is? I wanted to do the same, but i have currently a JL 12W6, and he said its doable but it will stick out more than usual. I will probably get a 10W6 and do that instead. Hits hard as a motherfucker.

It's an Orion...it is absurdly powerful. It definitely does stick out a bit but it's worth it. You can see what it looks like on my build thread.

305GTI

Ready to race!
If you want to fill the missing Dynaudio bottom end, go under floor.
If you want to rattle the windows, go with side mount.

This ^ I went with the under the floor and love it, but if you really like your bass then go sidemount.

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
It's an Orion...it is absurdly powerful. It definitely does stick out a bit but it's worth it. You can see what it looks like on my build thread.

good looking build thread. Just noticed a small gap at the back of your sub. Did you remove the grocery hook from behind it? I forget to tell people to do that. That gap is not normally there, so was wondering that was the issue

nikbrewer

Go Kart Champion
May be the weight of the sub. Still looks good and a way better color match then the jl box

TommyD

Ready to race!
I went with the underfloor for a few reasons:

1: retain all the cargo space
2: clean looking (or not looking) solution
3: Bass doesn't get muffled. low frequencies aren't as affected by material in the way, which is why subs are in trunks.
4: I am too old to cause nose bleeds for people in the back seat.