GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

NewSouth Boost Gauge Column Pod

Frosty631

Ready to race!
So Ive looked and see mixed thoughts and just wanted to get some more opinions on one thread.

Is it possible to replace the oem column mount with the newsouth one instead of putting it over it and taping it?

Also does anyone have issues when turning the wheel and it rubbing? I did a test fit to see and there was a little bit of rubbing when i turned the wheel.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
I'm sure its possible to replace the oem with the newsouth pod, but it would take a bit of work to make sure it lines up right and is mounted well. You would also have to figure out a way to attach the rubber boot to the new pod as well since the oem cover holds it in place nicely.

I just used velcro tape to mount the new pod on and I personally don't think that it looks bad at all. It doesn't move at all. At first I had some rubbing but it has since gotten much better. I only REALLY notice it when its a sharp lock-to-lock turn and such. Then again, I drive with the steering wheel all the way down and all the way out too. Different positions will probably yield different results.

Xtreme1

Ready to race!
I removed the oem one and fitted the new south. I had to build up the 3M tape to secure it. Fits well and is stable and no rubbing. Used double sided tape to stick the boot down.

Frosty631

Ready to race!
yea not sure which route im gonna take yet

Frosty631

Ready to race!
Anyone have this issue with the gauge...
Car off no key turn switch to lights on it works and dims turn it off put key in and light for the gauge is on even if the switch is off but only dims when the switch is turned on

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Anyone have this issue with the gauge...
Car off no key turn switch to lights on it works and dims turn it off put key in and light for the gauge is on even if the switch is off but only dims when the switch is turned on

Had that issue until I found the right fuse plug to stick it in. Seriously take the red write and crimp a male fast-on to it. Some if the open terminals in the fuse box are only powered when the ignition is on. Perfect for built-in chargers or boost gauge lights

butchered by autocorrect

Frosty631

Ready to race!
Had that issue until I found the right fuse plug to stick it in. Seriously take the red write and crimp a male fast-on to it. Some if the open terminals in the fuse box are only powered when the ignition is on. Perfect for built-in chargers or boost gauge lights

butchered by autocorrect

I hooked mine up straight to the wire harness for the switch..your saying take the red wire and run that to an empty fuse spot

Frosty631

Ready to race!
Can anyone confirm the above?

XGC75

Go Kart Champion
Apologies for the late reply.

Yes that's what I meant. Not all empty slots turn off with the car though, but in my sunroof+convenience GTI the first open slot from the left on the very top row was the one. To be clear, I'm talking about the fusebox behind the panel in the interior, not the one under the hood.

Frosty631

Ready to race!
Apologies for the late reply.

Yes that's what I meant. Not all empty slots turn off with the car though, but in my sunroof+convenience GTI the first open slot from the left on the very top row was the one. To be clear, I'm talking about the fusebox behind the panel in the interior, not the one under the hood.

Ok so basically instead of connecting the red wire to the harness just run it directly to the fuse box any idea what type of fuse?

Hulman100

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok so basically instead of connecting the red wire to the harness just run it directly to the fuse box any idea what type of fuse?

i would say about a 2 amp would be fine. however if you do it that way, you lose the ability to dim your gauge with the instruments. i just tapped mine into the switch harness like they say in the directions. the harness itself is a bitch but if you do it this way theres no guesswork involved

Frosty631

Ready to race!
i would say about a 2 amp would be fine. however if you do it that way, you lose the ability to dim your gauge with the instruments. i just tapped mine into the switch harness like they say in the directions. the harness itself is a bitch but if you do it this way theres no guesswork involved

Yes that's how I did it but with the lights off the gauge light is still on not to big of a deal

Hulman100

Passed Driver's Ed
Yes that's how I did it but with the lights off the gauge light is still on not to big of a deal

did you tap the right wire? i dont have this problem. maybe you tapped into ignition on instead of headlight on

XGC75

Go Kart Champion

The fuse isn't necessary. Get a connector called the "fast-on". The male end is just a flat piece of metal. You could find it in any 2nd rate hardware store. You'll need the crimpers to attach it, unless the store will do it for you (sometimes they're cool, ya know?). That connector would mate up perfectly in place of a fuse in the socket.

butchered by autocorrect