GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

DSG shift to N or not

songyun

Ready to race!
Guys.
I just curious and research some information about should we shift to N when we stop at red light.
i dont know if this would hurt the dsg or it's good for dsg.
comments ? professional suggestions ?

Motodude310

Go Kart Champion
VWoA states in the manual that if you are going to be stopped for more than one minute the car should be shifted to Neutral. It will extend the life of the clutch packs since the ECU is putting force on the clutches to make the car act like a normal automatic transmission on takeoff.

GoodTimesIndeed

Go Kart Champion
VWoA states in the manual that if you are going to be stopped for more than one minute the car should be shifted to Neutral. It will extend the life of the clutch packs since the ECU is putting force on the clutches to make the car act like a normal automatic transmission on takeoff.

If stopped THAT long then (P) and parking brake that thing. Your leg will thank you LOL.

Jet08

Ready to race!
I having being shifting into neutral (N) when I stop at traffic lights for 8 years on my DSG MkV, it does not have any bad effects but it does save fuel and wear on the transmission. Just my experience not an expert opinion.

songyun

Ready to race!
I having being shifting into neutral (N) when I stop at traffic lights for 8 years on my DSG MkV, it does not have any bad effects but it does save fuel and wear on the transmission. Just my experience not an expert opinion.

well. that's good sharing. thanks.

shdwblugti

Go Kart Champion
Depending how long you're waiting at the light, put it in park and shut it off

corydd

Go Kart Champion
DSG was designed knowing that people are just going to leave it in D at a stoplight. Don't worry about it.

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Jesus christ not again... :laugh: I prefer to drive in R

razr390

Go Kart Champion

Fingolfin

Ready to race!

I don't dispute that but didn't see this in my manual. The references to give the transmission a break say to put it in Park.