GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

GTI running fine

After reading many threads on failing coilpacks/waterpump/clutch/engine/etc etc...I decided to start this thread to share my experience with the 2012 GTI. First, let's talk about my previous mk6. I've had terrible experience with my 2010 mk6 Golf. First the MAP sensor blew, the car was in the shop for 3 weeks because they couldn't figure out what was wrong with it. They had to consult with technicians from Germany (what I was told) and hence the long wait time. The car had about 4000kms on it. After I got the car back, I drove it for less than 50 kms the car went in limp mode again. This time it was the ERG hose that apparently was leaking. Car was in the shop for 2 weeks. I thought my luck can't be that bad and picked up my car after the repair and went home. I was wrong, the car went into limp mode about 5 mins after I left the dealership and I brought it back. This time it was the ECU harness thats defective. Long story short, I contacted VW CA and complained the hell out of it and they offered me 200 dollar service coupon and I had no choice but to take the offer. The car drove fine after that and I drove it for a good 2.5 years.

Now lets move onto the GTI (what was I thinking buying another vw). Fortunately, the story gets better from here. I've had the car for just over a year with 26000kms on it. Stage 2 with all supporting mods and more. With all the ongoing threads about parts failure I suspect mine is in the same boat. With that in my mind, I constantly looked for parts that would fail or things that would explode. My clutch is slipping but the tune contributed to that. When it's in stock mode, the clutch runs perfectly normal, so I shouldn't expect the dealership to "fix" something that is working fine under manufacture specs. For those that got VW to replace or pay for labor, they are lucky, enjoy it and thank them for the job. For those that couldn't, stop crying about it and either pay for the job or go back to stock. Now let's move onto other "issues" that I have. I don't remember the coolant level when I first picked up the car, but after driving for 4-5 months, I noticed the level was below min, so I filled it just above the min line and drove for a couple more months. After a while I check again and it sits just below the min level again. With all the waterpump failure thread, I automatically assumed that it was my water pump and made an appointment with a dealership and brought it in for a replacement. The dealership went for a diagnostic and found nothing, they pressure tested it for 15 mins and there was no leak. I should mention that the coolant level can flucuate a bit (warm vs cold, idle vs shut off). So my waterpump seem to be working fine. With all the failure thread, people start looking for things that are wrong with the car and might even primed certain normal changes or noise to the car to a failure they often see online. There is no doubt a lot of actual failures, but compare to the population of GTIs, its very insignificant. So there you have it, a story that the car is working perfectly fine. I hope this thread will shed some positive light on the GTI and we should enjoy the hell out of it.

APRMK6GTi

Go Kart Champion
nice, so far my GTI is running fine as well. i initially thought i had a water pump problem since i saw some coolant drippage underneath, but the dealer found it to be a cracked radiator, which i don't see that common on here. once that was replaced, everything is good as new. 2012 here with 18,000 miles. found the leak around 16,000.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
This Thread

McQueen77

Banned
Good thread. The GTI is running OK thread. Yeah, mine is running great. Has pretty much always run great. I have had zero mechanical issues with the car in 3 years of ownership. Zero. There was a little oil seeping from my cam position sensor so they replaced that and the valve cover gasket under warranty but I probably could have kept going with no problems as it didn't throw a code or cause any problems. Original water pump, clutch is fine with Stage 1, original everything. No intake manifold problems, nothing.

Jaber

Modero
I've always had the mindset, if it moves, powers on, blinks, makes a sound, or has an IP; it will fail. No matter what, you'll always be dealing with some b.s. and it's just the luck of the draw. You just have to compromise which is the lesser of two evils.

My wife loves her 2013 GLI, it's going to reach 1k miles soon and she's enjoying the hell out of it. My GTI, just reached over 1k miles and love every minute. I find reasons to drive sometimes. If something does happen, luckily our dealer offers free loaners and there's warranty. Once it's out of warranty, we'll deal with it then or trade it and have it be someone else's problem. Life's too short to worry about the what if's.

Only downside is, my wife got her GLI 2 weeks after I got mine. So schedule maintenance x2 lol... And if I get a Stage 1 tune, she'll most likely want one too lol...

Charlie Sheen

Ready to race!
Great thread. I wish I could be on the same side of you, but at 8000 miles, my tranny blew. I wasn't tuned at all. No abuse. Everything went under warranty but it was a 4000$ repair and I lost the car for a month.

Had 2x MKV, they were all fine

corydd

Go Kart Champion
I'm at 53K miles and haven't had a single issue. Original water pump, original intake manifold, original Mechatronics unit, etc. The only thing I had to change out were the coil packs, but considering they blew out within 24 hours of going Stage 1, I think it's safe to say they would've been just fine had I left the ECU alone.

I'm just trying to stay on top of scheduled maintenance and keeping my fingers crossed...it would be really shitty for issues to start arising just as my warranty expires.

CLapperhighs

Go Kart Champion
I've never had a single issue. Just a coil pack as well, but that really doesn't count. Enjoy driving my car every day. :D

Another thing that bugs me is the whole rumor that VW's are too complicated and difficult to work on. I think a shop that says that is absolutely retarded. It's a bunch of BS in my opinion. This car is part together in a very smart way, and i think just about everything is in a location that makes sense and isn't overly complicated to reach.

aj_law

Go Kart Champion

LOL. This. ^^^

Funny part is, I was going to make a similar post back near the end of summer when I hit about 25K miles, but I just never got around to it.

Couple months later...BAM!...water pump. No biggee. Just the timing of it all. I used to be superstitious in my younger years. Now, not so much. Shit happens.

DaveSTR

Go Kart Champion
Love my GTi. Motor was replaced last Feb. No issues before that or since. Great car. Does everything well and still gets compliments. Esp on my OEM GTI-35 rims. :)

GTmyI

Ready to race!
Here is my side of story!

Got my 2012 CSG GTI on April 1st 2012, drove it for about 10,000km before parking it for winter, during that time, I did an oil change right at 7,003km, and everything came out good on the inspection sheet. Then when winter is over, started driving it again on April 15th 2013, since I live in Edmonton, a lot of rocks and pot holes around the city, so like many of us, window shield got chipped and one of my tire has a "bulge" on it. Since I didn't get the tire warranty (which I am kicking myself that I did not) replace the tire for close to like $250 or something like that with install and balance. Also fixed the chip for like $40 so it won't spread across my windshield. And last I did another oil change at 13,xxx km and once again everything was good. So since its winter again in Edmonton, parked the GTI and Civic is out!

Within the 1 year and 8 months of ownership, my car has been very good for me! No problem so far! And I am stage 1 since 90km right off the lot at the dealership.

Next year looks like me and my wife will be looking at a slightly bigger car than her Hyundai Elantra, going to look at a Jetta TDI, 14 Accord, and Mazda 6. Only thing that the Jetta is not winning is no free maintenance, both the accord and the mazda 6 will get life time oil change for free.

Charlie Sheen

Ready to race!
You got your motor replaced?!?

I had the same reaction. Kind of love his post tought....

''Car is perfect, got my motor replaced, no problem with the car''

p4kk0

Passed Driver's Ed
Great thread. I wish I could be on the same side of you, but at 8000 miles, my tranny blew. I wasn't tuned at all. No abuse. Everything went under warranty but it was a 4000$ repair and I lost the car for a month.

Had 2x MKV, they were all fine

Manual or DSG???