GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Latest on Golf R

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
But wouldn't you say that a loaded '11 GTI (which costs $32K) is slow for the money and has sub-standard brakes?

Hardcore enthusiasts are buying the STI and EVO for their performance - handling, braking, acceleration and top speed and their getting good value on the dollar. AWD is also a huge plus.

I love my '10 GTI and it offers enough performance for me at this stage of life while providing a nice interior and classy styling.

But other people have different priorities and the EVO and STI are great values for that market segment.

For the money, a $32K one (if thats what someone buys) is somewhat slow and doesnt have the best brakes, but the lesser costing models for $23-$25k are the real bargain. Also, brakes really arent that substandard for the size and weight of the GTI.

If you are hardcore and don't care about seats (save for the evo), interior fit and finish, amenities (save for Evo upgraded stereo) and well, now the STI comes with a limited package again of leather, sunroof etc, but now you are pushing $40K, then yes, its the more hardcore value, but as I fully agree with the statement in bold, that for me, the GTI is perfect for me right now and what I need it to do. If I was 22 again and I didn';t care about a suspension jarring me, a clutch thats heavy, vague steering (sti only), or a shifter thats not the smoothest, then yeah, thats the car to drive. If you want AWD and sub 5 second 0-60 times, then you go with the STI and Evo. If you want an Elise like handling car for the daily drive, great mpg, and an Audi interior, you get a GTI.

And yes, never said the evo or sti weren't a great value, but many are jumping ship to german cars with comparable speed and much more luxury and amenities for around the same price. I have.

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!
Yes. I would say the '11 GTI is too slow getting from 0-60 and the brakes could be better.

For me driving begins at 60 MPH.

60 to 120 MPH on the open road (with proper use of signals, maintaining safe distance from other cars, etc.) is where it's at.

The GTI does reasonably well for itself in that regard, all things considered, but the bigger guns are going to blow it out of the water.

I actually think the GTI's brakes are quite decent for "everyday driving" in that they offer good stopping power. It's my understanding that feel and modulation become issues during heavier use, though I don't plan on driving mine hard enough to really notice. (No "track days" for this one.)

It's worth noting that the GTI's 0 - 60 times are largely traction limited; the numbers would be better if the car were equipped with a true (mechanical) limited slip differential.

My '07 Mazdaspeed 3 had MUCH better low speed, straight line traction than the GTI (though the GTI is a much nicer car overall).

hpowders

Ready to race!
For me driving begins at 60 MPH.

60 to 120 MPH on the open road (with proper use of signals, maintaining safe distance from other cars, etc.) is where it's at.

The GTI does reasonably well for itself in that regard, all things considered, but the bigger guns are going to blow it out of the water.

I actually think the GTI's brakes are quite decent for "everyday driving" in that they offer good stopping power. It's my understanding that feel and modulation become issues during heavier use, though I don't plan on driving mine hard enough to really notice. (No "track days" for this one.)

It's worth noting that the GTI's 0 - 60 times are largely traction limited; the numbers would be better if the car were equipped with a true (mechanical) limited slip differential.

My '07 Mazdaspeed 3 had MUCH better low speed, straight line traction than the GTI (though the GTI is a much nicer car overall).

Unfortunately when I did my 2 test drives, I went through local streets. No highway around. I was a bit disappointed at the sluggish acceleration at traffic lights. There is no excuse for VW not to provide this car with more hp and allow for stability control to be turned completely off, since enthusiasts are the primary buyers of this vehicle.

Burntchicken

Ready to race!
Unfortunately when I did my 2 test drives, I went through local streets. No highway around. I was a bit disappointed at the sluggish acceleration at traffic lights. There is no excuse for VW not to provide this car with more hp and allow for stability control to be turned completely off, since enthusiasts are the primary buyers of this vehicle.

Well I would think this car was made for the track, not what you're talking about...?

shahabdin

Ready to race!
I was browsing the web and came across how the R20 was gonna be introduced as the GTI-R.

Well start saving and hopefully get the 2012 mk7 R20 model :iono:

harddrivin1le1

Ready to race!

For what it's worth, the GTI'd "around town" throttle response off idle and at low rpms is much better than my '07 Mazdaspeed 3's.

That Mazda felt like my Yaris when leaving a light at low RPMS - especially if a hill were involved.

The GTI should have 250 certified SAE Net HP and a mechanical limited slip differential. I probably won't drive this car hard enough to get into the "stability control zone" because it's a leased car and I don't feel like burning out/replacing the front tires.

Bender1

Banned

Sure there is:

Wild Hare

.: MR. BIG STUFF :.
Bring it here in limited numbers and yank the price up! People will pay it. I will!

If it doesn't come here... back I go to the mod drawing board for my '07 GTI. Zoom, Zoom (not intended for Mazda).