GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

VTDA on the 2.0 TDi....>

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Click the links....

I did....
Are you referring to oiled filters and Maf's? The endless internet myth?

Read: http://www.knfilters.com/maf/massair.htm for K&N's findings and extensive testing results. Click on the sub links for additional detail.

My personal experience, building 1400+ K&N based filters over a 12 year period confirms to me there are no issues here to worry about... Most of these went on 1.8T's which have notoriously sensitive Bosch MAF's. The newer Hitachi style is much more robust. One issue, and that was customer error with over-oiling.. The myth continues. You could not prove it by me, but my experience is limited to Millions of miles of customer experience and feedback. . MAF's degrade naturally over time and should be considered a consumable part.
The VAST majority of aftermarket filters and intakes use Oiled gauze filters. This is probably a multi billion $$ industry. If there was REALLY a problem here that industry wouldn't exist as we know it.

Last edited:

knydecker

Passed Driver's Ed
I had a check engine light after just two weeks of driving with the APR intake. I called APR to see if the problem was fixable. They told me the system was causing the DPM to clog up and I could return it for a refund. Plus I noticed they remove the intake from their TDI website. I had herd someone placed a home made plate between the intake and the MAF sensor to raise it out about a quarter of an inch and that this fixed the problem? Sounds like APR doesn't spend much time or money on R and D on their TDI brethren...And their customer service SUCKS!!!

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
I did....
Are you referring to oiled filters and Maf's? The endless internet myth?

Read: http://www.knfilters.com/maf/massair.htm for K&N's findings and extensive testing results. Click on the sub links for additional detail.

My personal experience, building 1400+ K&N based filters over a 12 year period confirms to me there are no issues here to worry about... Most of these went on 1.8T's which have notoriously sensitive Bosch MAF's. The newer Hitachi style is much more robust. One issue, and that was customer error with over-oiling.. The myth continues. You could not prove it by me, but my experience is limited to Millions of miles of customer experience and feedback. . MAF's degrade naturally over time and should be considered a consumable part.
The VAST majority of aftermarket filters and intakes use Oiled gauze filters. This is probably a multi billion $$ industry. If there was REALLY a problem here that industry wouldn't exist as we know it.

I had a check engine light after just two weeks of driving with the APR intake. I called APR to see if the problem was fixable. They told me the system was causing the DPM to clog up and I could return it for a refund. Plus I noticed they remove the intake from their TDI website. I had herd someone placed a home made plate between the intake and the MAF sensor to raise it out about a quarter of an inch and that this fixed the problem? Sounds like APR doesn't spend much time or money on R and D on their TDI brethren...And their customer service SUCKS!!!

See my point here. I'd like to see what kind of durability testing you did before you came up with this intake and what the actual gains are.

At this point this isn't any different from a "tornado" i can put inside the intake tube for 20mpg.

The whole argument about "everyone is doing it therefore it is fine" is just pathetic. No OEM uses oiled filters, but this whole thing isn't about filter materials per say.

The diesel engine in this car is very sensitive to a lot of variations, and I have read about nothing but issues with aftermarket intakes, trying to save others the headaches here.

knydecker

Passed Driver's Ed
Most of us TDI owners have had other previous cars that we installed a cold air intake and the installs made credible gains. The diesel motor seems to pull what air it needs no matter what its pulled thru. Plus the sensitive computer controls don't like small small changes like MAF saturation adjustments and other plumbing adjustments of SOME of the aftermarket intakes give. Im getting my money back and using it towards getting it flashed...Where I believe the true mod is fine and does what the money pays for!

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
See my point here. I'd like to see what kind of durability testing you did before you came up with this intake and what the actual gains are.

I don't actively push diesel applications BECAUSE I don't have that much experience with them. I can say I've got a few filters on other (CR) TDi applications in other parts of the world for a year + with no indication of issues. Even more time (years) on the 1.9 engine.
All I can say, is my car runs flawlessly and has for months with this intake on it.

Skeptical? No problem. I'd suggest you don't buy one...I'm getting tired of building them anyway...:)

85RedGolf2.5

Go Kart Champion

At this point this isn't any different from a "tornado" i can put inside the intake tube for 20mpg.

The whole argument about "everyone is doing it therefore it is fine" is just pathetic. No OEM uses oiled filters, but this whole thing isn't about filter materials per say.

The diesel engine in this car is very sensitive to a lot of variations, and I have read about nothing but issues with aftermarket intakes, trying to save others the headaches here.

Your point still is APR Sucks, he isn't using any APR bull shite, he is using his stuff. If you are gonna rag on anything, rag on how APR doesn't give a rats ass about us TDI guys...

nikhsub1

What?

I personally do not like oiled filters... there is so much FUD regarding intakes and whatnot and so much misinformation. The TDI club crowd like to say that the stock intake is the end all be all and it can't be improved upon. The stock paper element is quite good, filters very well and flows very well. It is indeed hard to make better but not impossible. With that said, there is then the matter of does it need to be better? More air is always better, even in a diesel but the question is is the stock system somehow limiting at max boost? Is it limiting if tuned and max boost? I had a Volvo S60R that was tested to make a vacuum in the airbox at full boost, not ideal especially when tuned. In any event, no one has shown this with VW's stock airbox. There are tuners (awe for example) who have shown modest HP and TQ gains with their airbox... is it worth the price for 4HP? Probably not.

If you have a high HP high boost car it might make sense to run a more open free element... Like I said I personally don't like oiled filters, I much prefer dry type.