GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Parking in 1st gear Bad or okay?

DaBigKahuna

I have always known that putting it in gear after you pull the handbrake is good practice...and would agree. However, why does everyone think that the car cant roll if you put it in first? Of course this is really dependent on the degree of grade you're parked on....but doesn't it make more sense to put it in 6th? I mean, the weight of the car should be plenty enough to overcome the gearing of 1st gear and moreover, the compression of a 2 liter engine.

Hmm.. Isn't the opposite true? When I used to push start my Beetle, I'd use 2nd gear because it was easier than 1st.

Carlosfandang0

Autocross Newbie
Hmm.. Isn't the opposite true? When I used to push start my Beetle, I'd use 2nd gear because it was easier than 1st.

Yes! always push/bump start in second gear, it’s easier to start, that’s because the engine isn’t trying to spin as fast though, not really to do with compression, (its kinda the sweet spot) third would be more difficult, unless you’re on a pretty steep hill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

walker

Go Kart Newbie
Years ago I was hanging out at a buddy's house when a cop knocked on the door. "Do you own a silver 1996 jetta" he said. My buddy replied with trepidation, "yes i do". The officer said "you might want to go get it".

The handbrake was on but it was not left in gear. Apparently it rolled backwards down several blocks, down a ditch, back up the other side, across three lanes, over the median while taking out a road sign, three more lanes, then hit a fire hydrant.

Miraculously it did not hit any other vehicles, though several had swerved or skidded to a stop to avoid it. Damaged the rear bumper and needed the fuel tank replaced. He got a fine for damaging the hydrant.

I always leave mine in gear with tires turned appropriately.

terryna

Loving this thread! sub'd

PhthaloType

Go Kart Champion
Years ago I was hanging out at a buddy's house when a cop knocked on the door. "Do you own a silver 1996 jetta" he said. My buddy replied with trepidation, "yes i do". The officer said "you might want to go get it".

The handbrake was on but it was not left in gear. Apparently it rolled backwards down several blocks, down a ditch, back up the other side, across three lanes, over the median while taking out a road sign, three more lanes, then hit a fire hydrant.

Miraculously it did not hit any other vehicles, though several had swerved or skidded to a stop to avoid it. Damaged the rear bumper and needed the fuel tank replaced. He got a fine for damaging the hydrant.

I always leave mine in gear with tires turned appropriately.

Yep, even if the brake holds solid at first, it might slip over time, especially overnight when it gets colder. When I had my Jetta, I just used the brake on my inclined driveway, not in gear. One day a random dude who was walking by knocked on my door to let me know it was halfway into the street. After that, I always parked it in gear, and every car since.

Korydogg

Ready to race!
If you’re pointing up hill put it in first, if pointing downhill put it in reverse, it won’t go anywhere! Think about it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Doesn't really matter if its in 1st or reverse......its the gearing that matters. I don't know the gear ratios of the MK6 trans......but if its in reverse and youre pointed downhill it could mean the same thing if its pointed uphill.

The engine can spin backwards too.