GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Bringing an MK6 back from the grave - My Mk6 Story

MKV Aaron1

Ready to race!
Incredible rebuild.

What is your cost up to? If you aren't sharing, I understand, lots of haters here.

As long as you can get it certified (if you have that there) and you are comfortable with the repairs, thats all it matters.

Good work!

Red2011GTI

Go Kart Champion
Just read your thread. Nice work and congrats on bringing her back to life.

I love my Vagcom. It not cheap but as you have found it is a really valuable tool plus you will be able to do a number of modes that I am sure you already aware of.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Incredible rebuild.

What is your cost up to? If you aren't sharing, I understand, lots of haters here.

As long as you can get it certified (if you have that there) and you are comfortable with the repairs, thats all it matters.

Good work!

Thanks! I am at about $13,500 total. I think I am at ~ $2900 in parts so far (my OEM cost is almost 10 grand so far for the parts though). I think I have about $200-500 left it parts. Once everything is said and done I will post up my parts list with my costs - I got nothing to hide!

wavygravy

Passed Driver's Ed
dude you're crazy! and that's a compliment! good job on taking this on.. really enjoyed reading your build thread. hope all works well for you.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Quick update:

Tonight I put in the radiator mounts (as apposed to wire holding the radiator assembly tight lol).

I also added the Ambient Temp sensor, which took care of the remaining CEL's I had:

I also put one last order in for parts last night. I will be able to reassemble the bumper next, and get working on the rest of the reassembly. I think I should have everything I need after I get this next bout of parts (which will probably take another week to get here) to get this thing on the road for good.

I am going up to canada for an ice fishing trip next wednesday through sunday, so there will not be any progress during that time, but hopefully when I get back I will have parts waiting for me!

wunluv

God bless you and your quest to revive this beautiful machine. That's some pretty amazing tech work bro.

ToMMyGuN

Go Kart Champion
Update -

Reassembled the front end! I am done with fixing stuff that requires the bumper to be removed, so I put the entire thing back together:

I still am waiting on my last big order from Keffer VW, which includes (among other things) the driver's seatbelt (will take care of my last airbag fault), new key fobs, and the headlight connector, so I can get the driver's headlight working.

The LED running lights are growing on me. I thought they looked lame when I was researching the GTI, but I like them in person a lot more than I do in pictures:

Whoever had this car before me must have replaced the license plate lights w/LEDs (unless they came like this on 2012'?) - tough to get a good pic of it, but they are definetly LED's:

I took my wife for a spin tonight around the neighborhood. She really liked the heated seats (we have never had them in any of our cars), and she mentioned how the seat was really comfy. I think she likes how it holds you in place with bolstering. I showed her the Bluetooth (another first for us), the nav (another first), and the radio stuff and she was really excited. She went in the house and was looking at CC's and Tiguans haha. Her Dad bought a CC and she loves it. She really doesn't like hatchbacks, but I think she will enjoy the GTI. Who knows, maybe I can convert her to the dark side! :D

So now I wait! Seems to be the theme of my rebuild so far. I gotta get this thing legal so I can drive it to a damn car wash!

Xtreme1

Ready to race!
Congrats on the build so far. Has been an interesting thread. Keep it up. Waiting to see the finished result.