GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Help me with choosing rims

jordy6

Passed Driver's Ed
Can anyone recommend (cheap) rims for me, i like the look of vmr v701. Does anyone know cheaper similar looking rims in black and 18" preferably. I'm a student so i'm on a tight budget, i don't want to spend more than €1000 on wheels and tires together.

SirClimax

Ready to race!
Honestly, you shouldn't bother wasting your money on cheap wheels. Either spend it on good tires or save up for good wheels. Any wheels under 800-900 a set are garbage and may end up having a catastrophic failure that will cost you way more than a few extra hundred to get good wheels.

CHerna

Ready to race!
Dis ^

Not trying to be a dick, but VMR's are already cheap (in terms of price).

pcfoo

Passed Driver's Ed
I would look into Sparco ASSETTO GARA @ Black.
Slightly cheaper and notably lighter than the vmr v701. Very similar 10-spoke design.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
Sparco's are not a bad choice. VMR's are cheap but they don't have QC problems--on the contrary they're actually a pretty tough wheel.

Or instead of aftermarket--look for another set of clean OEM wheels. The "austin" wheels off the MK7 looks pretty sexy on a MK6. And since every MK7 owner and their mother is trying to sell them now you can probably get a pretty new set with tires for 400-500$ (or euros, since the dollar and euro right now are almost 1:1).

corydd

Go Kart Champion
I would recommend both the Sparcos and VMRs if you like them. I know a few people who had those Sparcos and really liked them. I ran VMRs on my car for years and drove them hard (track included) with zero issues. They're not the lightest wheels in the world but they're definitely sturdy wheels.

jordy6

Passed Driver's Ed
It's just for daily driving, i don't drive so aggressive that i would break a wheel, I already considered the sparco but that's really the maximum that i want to spend, i also would rather spend a little more for quality but I already spend most of my money on my golf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SirClimax

Ready to race!
It's just for daily driving, i don't drive so aggressive that i would break a wheel, I already considered the sparco but that's really the maximum that i want to spend, i also would rather spend a little more for quality but I already spend most of my money on my golf

It's not about how hard you drive your car it's about that really unlucky day when you're driving to work and your wheel breaks because of a pothole and you are stranded and end up not only having to buy replacement wheels but also paying for repairs.

pcfoo

Passed Driver's Ed
Have you considered 17" wheels/tires?
These are considerably cheaper. I see you are in Belgium - if you factor in cost for winter tires @ 17" vs 18", 17" looks even more reasonable.

SirClimax

Ready to race!
Have you considered 17" wheels/tires?
These are considerably cheaper. I see you are in Belgium - if you factor in cost for winter tires @ 17" vs 18", 17" looks even more reasonable.

^ This is a good suggestion!

Also if you are really that strapped for cash buy used wheels and save a few hundred euros

jordy6

Passed Driver's Ed
Used wheels in good condition are usually still expensive and the once that are cheap are usually damaged

pcfoo

Passed Driver's Ed
Keep in mind that 18" might look cool, but if your Golf is the 1.6 TDI in your side panel info, getting on more rubber and heavier wheels than you should will kill lots of the available performance.

R17" x 7 wheels & 225/45 tires are more than plenty for a car with 110 or even 150 HP.
Hell, you will see many ppl with stage 2 or 3 GTI's and they use slightly wider 17" for track days or even daily.
Your's would actually feel even more lively with light 16" and decent 205 tires.

Many ppl care only for perceived looks and do silly stuff with their wheels and suspension setup...don't be carried away.

Last edited:

jordy6

Passed Driver's Ed
Keep in mind that 18" might look cool, but if your Golf is the 1.6 TDI in your side panel info, getting on more rubber and heavier wheels than you should will kill lots of the available performance.

17" wheels are more than plenty for a car with 110 or even 150 HP. Hell, you will see many ppl with stage 2 or 3 GTI's and they use 17" for track days or even daily. Your's would actually feel even more lively with light 16" and decent tires.

Many ppl care only for perceived looks and do silly stuff with their wheels and suspension setup...don't be carried away.

My golf is already very slow if it gets even slower i don't really care i only care about looks to be honest ;)

jordy6

Passed Driver's Ed
These are the ones i'm going to buy i think, choosing rims is so hard for me [emoji24]