GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Buying a used 2010 GTI, questions and concerns.

Sniper260687

I apologize up front if i posted this on a wrong section.

Quick info about me

Diego 30 years old with a GF and a 2 year old.

Currently i have a 17 Audi TTS.

Anyhow, the reason i came here:

I been looking to purchased a daily 4 door fun car with a manual transmission and the first thing that came to mind was a GOLF GTI, yet i always see all the memes and people talking about how unreliable they are after 80K miles + with CEL memes and ****.

I looked at a 12 Civic SI but the car just looks ugly to me, i also looked at a Mazdaspeed 3 but cant find a decent one.

So i found a 2010 GTI with 110K miles for $9K the interior is mint the exterior has some rough areas but nothing awful, car is solid while driving all the gears are smooth car doesn't shake at high speeds, drives straight, no weird noises nothing, car wasn't modded either by the looks of engine and everything else, so you say wow amazing deal get it.

Well here is my red flag and why i need some help.

Carfax doesn't report any damage, clean tittle however the last owner only had the vehicle for a month drove it 2K miles then traded it to the dealership, dealership claims the owner bought a brand new SUV for the family.

With that said should i be worried about that? What do i need to look for on a used GTI? Car also boosted well no turbo damage. Once i pointed all that out, the manager said ill give you 6mo Warranty on everything.....Sooooo not sure what to do

Also the Injectors were replaced 3 times

05/27/16 96K Miles Manifold gaskets replaced
08/03/16 Manifold gaskets replaced
08/19/16 98K Miles Same thing yet they replaced the intake manifold
07/29/17 108K Miles Same thing with another manifold replaced....

Whats up with the Injectors and Intake manifold??? Common on this car or red flag

Yes,my GF is aware i dont wanna get marry ;)

MVIMG_20171203_153849 by sniper260687, on Flickr

2017-10-18_11-08-52 by sniper260687, on Flickr

2017-12-11_08-03-57 by sniper260687, on Flickr

2017-12-11_08-09-51 by sniper260687, on Flickr

zef

Drag Racing Champion
3 things with this car...intake manifolds, water pumps and timing chain tensioner. Water pump issue was done through a recall so if you do have that issue just take it to a dealer and they'll cover it no questions asked. The timing chain tensioner in the earlier GTI's has a history of failing so if that was never updated you should have it updated with the newer tensioner. And lastly the manifolds tend to crack with age but it's odd that they replaced it a 2nd time unless it was installed incorrectly.nThe only other common minor annoyance is the blower motor tends to squeak when it's cold out, just need to disassemble and re-grease.

Aside from those 3 things these cars are super reliable. Just stay on top of the oil changes and you'll be good to go.

Also 9k sounds a little steep for that much mileage. I bought my '13 with 41k miles for $11,500. It was just a base w/ moonroof though, no leather/nav/xenons/fender audio.

Sniper260687

3 things with this car...intake manifolds, water pumps and timing chain tensioner. Water pump issue was done through a recall so if you do have that issue just take it to a dealer and they'll cover it no questions asked. The timing chain tensioner in the earlier GTI's has a history of failing so if that was never updated you should have it updated with the newer tensioner. And lastly the manifolds tend to crack with age but it's odd that they replaced it a 2nd time unless it was installed incorrectly.nThe only other common minor annoyance is the blower motor tends to squeak when it's cold out, just need to disassemble and re-grease.

Aside from those 3 things these cars are super reliable. Just stay on top of the oil changes and you'll be good to go.

Also 9k sounds a little steep for that much mileage. I bought my '13 with 41k miles for $11,500. It was just a base w/ moonroof though, no leather/nav/xenons/fender audio.

Gotcha, ill check for the 3 things.

About the price, Well its Oklahoma so cars here tend to be a bit more expensive.

Yet, i have found a black gti autobahn 2011, 90K miles, so im gonna give that one a look later today, besides the 4 door what so special about the autobahn?

Thank you for the quick reply

KITEWAGON

Passed Driver's Ed
To me the biggest thing with the Autobahn is the lighting package. They are fully loaded with leather, sunroof, premium sound, different wheels, bigger brakes, and nav. Really the lighting package is the only thing I'd pay money for. Though I do prefer the leather to the cloth seats as well.

zef

Drag Racing Champion
To me the biggest thing with the Autobahn is the lighting package. They are fully loaded with leather, sunroof, premium sound, different wheels, bigger brakes, and nav. Really the lighting package is the only thing I'd pay money for. Though I do prefer the leather to the cloth seats as well.

Brakes are all the same on the mk6 gti except the 2010's had slightly bigger rear brakes. You're probably thinking of the mk7 performance package.

The autobahn I believe is leather/nav/premium sound. The lighting package gives the xenon headlights. The moonroof is separate as well.

Note that all of these things minus the moonroof can be added after the fact, so if you can't find one that has everything you're looking for, you can always add later.

Sniper260687

Well i hate leather lol, but ill give this car a look, havent seen it yet.

But this car sounds like the best option

Rickybobbi

Ready to race!
There are some GTI's for sale on the forums, not sure if any are close to your area but doesn't hurt to have a look. Good luck with your car whatever one you decide on.

Sniper260687

There are some GTI's for sale on the forums, not sure if any are close to your area but doesn't hurt to have a look. Good luck with your car whatever one you decide on.

Right, but i need to drive the car first before i can commit.

I dont think there is anything close to me here in OKC

Gino

Ready to race!
Didn't see it, but my Autobahn has push button start. Honestly a huge plus in my opinion. When buying my car back in 2014 I was torn between the push button and plaid seats. Can't have both, but push button start won.

Sniper260687

Didn't see it, but my Autobahn has push button start. Honestly a huge plus in my opinion. When buying my car back in 2014 I was torn between the push button and plaid seats. Can't have both, but push button start won.

I been having push to start on all my cars, this will be my daily could care less really lol

corydd

Go Kart Champion
I had my Mk6 over 110k miles and it was solid as a rock. Zero major issues or failures. Check the maintenance history and make sure the big jobs are done. If it checks out, go for it.

javiersan93

I have a 2010 GTI, 100100 miles, and the only major thing I can say that I've done to my car that was a non-regular maintenance was getting the carbon build up on the valves cleaned up.

I had mine cleaned off at 80K miles. That may be the reason why they resealed the intake manifold twice before replacing the whole thing, although it should have only been done once. I didn't know that the intake manifold itself was an item that was fragile to begin with, but that may explain that annotation you see.

Overall though, solid car. I would buy another one.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Sniper260687

Well i bought the car.

$10K car is solid for 90K miles.

1 owner no accident, all major fixes were done.

I do feel a very very slight shake at idle but extremely minimal.

The part im most confused about, some website claim this is the autobahn version yet there is no sunroof, no HID lights, its pretty darn basic.

But it is a 4 door so thats what i needed.

Thank you for all the help!

I already hate the headlights and taillights.

Would this fit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172192673243

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122834136795

https://www.carstory.com/detail/2011-volkswagen-gti-oklahoma_city_ok-WVWGV7AJ2BW111939

EJBGTIVI

Autocross Champion
Well i bought the car.

$10K car is solid for 90K miles.

1 owner no accident, all major fixes were done.

I do feel a very very slight shake at idle but extremely minimal.

The part im most confused about, some website claim this is the autobahn version yet there is no sunroof, no HID lights, its pretty darn basic.

But it is a 4 door so thats what i needed.

Thank you for all the help!

I already hate the headlights and taillights.

Would this fit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/172192673243

https://www.ebay.com/itm/122834136795

https://www.carstory.com/detail/2011-volkswagen-gti-oklahoma_city_ok-WVWGV7AJ2BW111939

It's not an Autobahn then. If it was a 2010 it may have been possible as you could pick your options ala carte. A 2011 Autobahn would have a sunroof and hid headlights