GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stage 2 and California Emissions

insanebikerboy

I reed guud.
While I'm still trying to figure out if my GTI is chipped or not, I'm thinking I will eventually end up at stage 2 regardless. This is a daily driver and occasionally hauls the kids around so I don't have any reason to go beyond stage 2.

That said, after my research on here it appears for a stage 2 I need the chip, an intake, and a new downpipe at a minimum, intercooler and exhaust are optional.

How would a new downpipe affect emissions testing in California? I'm actually brand new to the state (moved here with the Navy) so I'm not entirely savvy on the emissions testing as is.

Something I have considered after reading on here is simply buying a non-cat DP and throwing the stock one on there as the test date rolls around. If I did that, would there be issues with the Stage 2 software being run with a stock DP?

omgturbo!

Go Kart Champion
anything but oem will not work for emissions. you'll have to put the stock back in, flash to stock, smog, then put it all back.

as far as i know, its not recommended to run stage 2 file without a downpipe (extra boost and fuel). thats why you have to flash back to stock or stage 1 when you pull a dp. hopefully plac will comment in here, he pulls his dp off and back on 2-3 times a week.

stevenchkim

Go Kart Champion
It's not recommended long term, but I flashed to stg 2 while waiting for the dp in the mail, for like 6 days and it wasn't a problem. But if you're gonna swap downpipe to OEM for the test, you also have to switch back to stg 1 prg if you're APR b/c of the the O2 sensor readiness codes.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
I too am worried about this since I Just went stage 2, I tried looking around on the DMV website but couldn't find a clear cut answer... any californians know when the first smog test for a brand new car is?

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion

The 200 cel race cat won't pass sniffer. Plus and someone can correct me if I'm wrong unless you find a spacer that works, a stage 2 keep your CEL off by changing one of the readiness setting but that will be a red flag when they scan the car at time of smog inspection.

I would hint around at tuning shops about "passing" smog. There's always a way but prices are about $200-300.......

Last edited:

tmiw

Go Kart Champion
Technically it's illegal to have a non-OEM downpipe. However, from what I hear, most places pay more attention to under the hood than under the car (in terms of CARB exemptions etc). If you have a high-flow and you can pass the sniff test and your car doesn't throw codes...

In short, the safest option would be to go back to stock downpipe and tune like others have said.

trd420

Go Kart Champion
Go stage 2 I I'm and you'll love the power!! and at smog time thro back on the stock downpipe That's what I'm going to do. Do it your self the it will take about 1 1/2 hrs or have a shop do it for a $100 and you don't need to smog a new car for the first 3 years of ownership

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
I too am worried about this since I Just went stage 2, I tried looking around on the DMV website but couldn't find a clear cut answer... any californians know when the first smog test for a brand new car is?

If you bought it new you have a few years. I believe 6 but I'm tired.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
If you bought it new you have a few years. I believe 6 but I'm tired.

Yup purchased new, and that's what I read, but the terminology on the California site wasn't the greatest, so I wasn't sure. :thumbdown:

Rotaryknight

Go Kart Champion
6 years of fun before we have to worry. By that time I'll probably have sold the car, have it "pass" to sell and it will be someone else's problem haha.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
6 years of fun before we have to worry. By that time I'll probably have sold the car, have it "pass" to sell and it will be someone else's problem haha.

That's exactly what I'm thinking :thumbup:

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Yup purchased new, and that's what I read, but the terminology on the California site wasn't the greatest, so I wasn't sure. :thumbdown:

Yeah new car you pay a smog abatement fee for 6 years then you need to go in.

If you get an intake very few have CARB sticker, Pflo being one, even though theyre all basically the same. It seems like a scam for CA to get cash. So if you get an intake prepare to swap that too.

Aries Pope

Ready to race!
Go stage 2 I I'm and you'll love the power!! and at smog time thro back on the stock downpipe That's what I'm going to do. Do it your self the it will take about 1 1/2 hrs or have a shop do it for a $100 and you don't need to smog a new car for the first 3 years of ownership

I'd like to know where this shop that will replace a DP for $100 in the bay area is....? Places I called wanted $400.

steemax

Go Kart Champion
Yeah new car you pay a smog abatement fee for 6 years then you need to go in.

If you get an intake very few have CARB sticker, Pflo being one, even though theyre all basically the same. It seems like a scam for CA to get cash. So if you get an intake prepare to swap that too.
Damn California regulations, I understand the down-pipe causing some problems, but the intake is just over the top.
I'd like to know where this shop that will replace a DP for $100 in the bay area is....? Places I called wanted $400.

It's possible, I got my stock one removed and my new one put in for $100 cash

Eat_My_Shorts

Ready to race!
How would a new downpipe affect emissions testing in California? I'm actually brand new to the state (moved here with the Navy) so I'm not entirely savvy on the emissions testing as is.

Being you are there with the Navy why not just register the vehicle in your home or record? Would make you exempt from all the California smog test and rules.