GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

valve cover gasket leak...?

BentValve

Ready to race!
I took my GTI in yesterday for its 60K service.

Completed the inspection, see attached not: Recommend to replace the valve cover sealant that is leaking. $608.00 installed + tax.

I was like..."$608 for a valve cover gasket!?!!?":eek: , then the tech gave me a pretty detailed description of the job. I will get this fixed and my third set of tires installed in the next month or so.:cool:

BentValve

Ready to race!
That's a ridiculous labor rate. Grab the gasket and diy.

I wish it was that simple. .....Its not a gasket, its sealant that costs about ~$175 a bottle from VW, I forget exactly. They also replace some bolts while they are in there.

But anyhow I am headed to the dealership now to try and work a deal. I am pretty confident I can get them to give me at least a ~10% discount since its the only place my GTI has ever been serviced since I bought it from them in 2010.

BentValve

Ready to race!
Its about $150ish for the oem sealant and its a one time get it right or back to square one type deal. Also the cover is not just a cover its the cam girdle as well.

Yep :thumbsup: ....and they replace a few of the bolts around the cam as well, not sure which ones and why but there must be a good reason for it. Also every bolt should be torqued to specifications.

I went in yesterday and they are going to give me a 10% discount, so its gonna be $617 out the door. Also as of right now its just seeping a tad so I am going to put it off for awhile, like in ~5000 miles or so.

MTF16

Hello, I had similar leak and have my car serviced at local dealership. I got the same green sealant. The sealant was still quite thin/soft/thick-liquid-like when I got the car back. I drove home and saw a little oil marks at a few spots.

I wondering if your sealant was fully cured when you got the car back. Is there any oil leak since then?

Thanks!

I had this same problem. Took my car to the dealer this morning for it's 20K maintenance and asked them to look into the issue. Here is what the service report says (all typos were there):

Reading that it seems like a lot of work. Here are some pictures after I picked it up:

kram

Ready to race!
Count me in on this too...

Completely STOCK car, 2010, 51.5k.... Would this be covered under powertrain?

kram

Ready to race!
My car is going in tomorrow to have this looked at... Powertrain warranty booklet says all engine gaskets & seals are covered so I'm gonna at least have them check it out before my warranty expires (I'm at 58k now).

Lmike6453

Ready to race!
Add me to the list, stock @ 26k...not sure if it's worth getting fixed

Same issue here with my 13' GLI. At first I brushed it off, but now i'm seeing more oil blow by / residue. Noticed while doing oil change and working to install s3 shifter. So I see its a common issue

Going to ask dealership to add to list of repairs when i bring car on thursday. been runing P2015 CEL For over week now. That faulty intake manifold sensor -- requires new intake manifold.... going for valve cleaning as well

corman1313

Ready to race!
Same issue here with my 13' GLI. At first I brushed it off, but now i'm seeing more oil blow by / residue. Noticed while doing oil change and working to install s3 shifter. So I see its a common issue

Going to ask dealership to add to list of repairs when i bring car on thursday. been runing P2015 CEL For over week now. That faulty intake manifold sensor -- requires new intake manifold.... going for valve cleaning as well
You need a valve cleaning already on your 13? How many miles do you have?

zrickety

The Fixer
There is no way it needs a valve cleaning, he is probably doing it at the same time to save money. I am over 104k and still have never carbon cleaned.