GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof Owners/Prospectors

Marvin

Ready to race!
All my cars, where humanely possible, have had sunroofs even cars where you had to turn a crank above your head. Now of course, they are motor operated. Even here in the UK perhaps even more so where the sun can't be assured, it is a must for me.
It lightens the interior of the car and makes it less claustrophobic and it is lovely to have open if parked up for a while. Admittedly you have to adjust the opening carefully to minimise buffeting but there again I wouldn't have it open at any speed above, say, 60mph.
We all have aircon of some sorts and this is of primary importance to me, followed by a sunroof.
Would never, ever consider a car or model that did not have a sunroof! They don't leak - why would they, as the glass is much larger than the actual inside cut out in the car's roof and providing the drain tubes don't get blocked, somehow, then there is no problem.
Wind noise, when closed isn't noticeable but there again I haven't been in an equivalent car without a sunroof.

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
The xenons not only have function but really make the car appear more high end and sophisticated, IMHO.

Back on topic though...besides closing the plastic sliding cover, any other DIY suggestions for the wind noise...i.e. using some sort of gasket or foam trim in between to add pressure and help seal things more tightly?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
I am going to be the odd ball here.

I have ALWAYS had sunroofs in cars but specifically didn't want one in the GTI. When tracking, having additional weight at the highest point of the car is certainly not a good thing.

That said, if I wasn't a track guy, I would definitely get one.

I track too, but since I'm not competing or racing for anything, it doesn't affect/bother me at all. No issues with mine - love having it.

AZN_C300

Ready to race!
No leaks, no issues, quiet, and helps if you do front side window tint.

JFranko

Passed Driver's Ed
It was a must for me. I like keeping all the windows down when I'm driving in the summer, the only time I don't is if I'm stuck in traffic, or I have a girl in the car. I'm used to only having a Jeep up until about 8 months ago, so the sun roof was the closest thing I could get in a normal car to having an open top. My grandma's old suburban, and current traverse, and my trailblazer both had them. She got rid of the suburban at 75k miles, and I got rid of my trailblazer at 106k miles, neither of them had any problems. I think most of the horror stories about sunroofs failing or leaking are usually from aftermarket ones, minus a few exceptions.

CMD

Ready to race!
If you've never had a sunroof you won't miss it, but once you do you'll always want one. Nothing beats cruising around town with the roof open a nice day. Also the extra light in the cabin is nice even when its closed (you can close the shade if you don't want it to be bright)

x2
This is the first car I've had with one and my old car will be the very last I ever buy without one. If you can squeeze it into your budget (and seeing as you are considering an R, I'm sure it is possible) then get it.

Cackalacka

Ready to race!
My GTI is my first ride with a s-roof. Freaking sweet. Highway speeds it is fine slanted, country roads it is great wide-open (but it does have some air-pressure throb issues which disappear with cracking the window 1/4th an inch. It is a god-send while touring.

Only beef is the control-knob. Has a tiny white stripe that when closed (the most important position) it is difficult to determine if it is at 12 o'clock (which faces away from you.) This is especially a pain in the ass at night.

It would be nice if there was an LED or an extra-tactile sensation when it returns to closed.

A minor quibble. IMHO this is an essential component if you are road-trip oriented (and not track oriented, as Bender suggests; this component does add weight, after all.)

AZN_C300

Ready to race!
My GTI is my first ride with a s-roof. Freaking sweet. Highway speeds it is fine slanted, country roads it is great wide-open (but it does have some air-pressure throb issues which disappear with cracking the window 1/4th an inch. It is a god-send while touring.

Only beef is the control-knob. Has a tiny white stripe that when closed (the most important position) it is difficult to determine if it is at 12 o'clock (which faces away from you.) This is especially a pain in the ass at night.

It would be nice if there was an LED or an extra-tactile sensation when it returns to closed.

A minor quibble. IMHO this is an essential component if you are road-trip oriented (and not track oriented, as Bender suggests; this component does add weight, after all.)

Yeah, that was my beed also. The control knob isn't that great, especially if I'm driving, I don't want to take my eye off the road that much to make sure I twist it to the proper position to close. I should be able to do it by feel with some sort of tactile indicator would have been great.

It's also great to have the extra headroom for taller people or those with spikey hair :D

Ohiogti

Ready to race!
totally agree with everyone else. I've always had a sunroof, and almost settled for a blue gti without. I'm so happy that I was insistent and that the dealership found me a cw with sunroof. Once you've had one, you'll always insist on one and will def miss it if you had one and then settled for a car without

Cwykle99

Ready to race!
Love my sunroof, only complaint is when I get distracted when I park and accidently leave it open or at an angle. Ive been lucky with rain but dont want to get caught and have puddles in my car lol. Total operator error but it would be cool if there was an auto close feature or some (cant believe im asking for one) annoying chime to remind me that Im a dumbadd and need to close my roof.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
if you play around with it, you'll notice the knob feels different in the closed position - it almost "clicks" when you move it there, thus about 8 out of 10 times, i can probably close it without even looking. I agree its not that perfect, but I dont think its that awful either.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
my sunroof has been workin fine. just a word of advice, in the winter when your car is iced up or snowy dont try to open the sunroof cuz it might be frozen as well. i made that mistake, it still works good though. its good for getting fresh air when opening the windows is not an option. opening the side windows when its raining will cause water to get into the window switches on the door panel.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
its good for getting fresh air when opening the windows is not an option. opening the side windows when its raining will cause water to get into the window switches on the door panel.

one of my few big pet peeves on this car - you literally cannot drive with the windows even cracked, when it is raining or mostly when it has rained and left water on your car - IT ALL ROLLS IN, WTF?! lol...

McQueen77

Banned
Love my sunroof. Wouldn't have considered any car without one. Why sunroof's aren't completely standard on all cars is beyond me. Who doesn't want a sunroof? If you don't want to use it, keep it closed. Its like, ancient technology at this point and is sort of a ripoff on the part of automakers to act like its some kind of upgrade. Love rolling with the windows cracked and the sunroof open. If its cold I just switch on the heated seats.

Cackalacka

Ready to race!
if you play around with it, you'll notice the knob feels different in the closed position - it almost "clicks" when you move it there, thus about 8 out of 10 times, i can probably close it without even looking. I agree its not that perfect, but I dont think its that awful either.

Anyone know if this was a MY 2011 change? It clicks at all the other positions on my MY 2010 precisely the same.