GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof Owners/Prospectors

NinjaCat

Hi, I'm in the process of considering a GTI/R, haven't decided which yet.

I've never had a sunroof but think it could be cool to have. Could current owners who have one give me some insights on your experiences so far?Does it leak, is it nosier then Golf without one when closed? Can you drive with it open without buffeting/wind roar. Basically is it worth it?
Thx!

Hilfloskind

Go Kart Champion
I had my sunroof go out of alignment/off-track about 6k miles/6 months after buying it. Had to get an entirely new sunroof. It is also kind of noisy in terms of wind (partly because I have a deflector installed). It also has wind buffetting at certain speeds if open fully...but this happens in quite a few other cars/brands, too (just crack a window to offset the air pressure buffetting or leave it 90% open instead of 100%). No leaks though.

I would not trade having a sunroof for anything, despite any of the details above. Nothing beats the added light when closed all year round or the added open air feel when it's opened.

J-Cooz

Go Kart Champion
If you've never had a sunroof you won't miss it, but once you do you'll always want one. Nothing beats cruising around town with the roof open a nice day. Also the extra light in the cabin is nice even when its closed (you can close the shade if you don't want it to be bright)

GTIMD

Passed Driver's Ed
No Leaks and no issues. Personally i think the car is very quiet inside even at highway speed. Wouldn't trade the sunroof for anything, other than being able to open it in nice weather, i think it makes the car more pleasant to be inside. It adds additional light making the cabin more comfortable.

ms3brendan

Ready to race!
I've had the car for about a week.. I haven't had a sunroof in about 3 years so I forget about it a lot that I even have it. But It has a ton of opening options.. You can open it most of the way where it won't make that popping noise in your ear.. but if you open it all the way it kind of does, but like others say.. just crack a window and you'll be fine.

Grownman

Ready to race!
No Leaks and no issues. Personally i think the car is very quiet inside even at highway speed. Wouldn't trade the sunroof for anything, other than being able to open it in nice weather, i think it makes the car more pleasant to be inside. It adds additional light making the cabin more comfortable.

:thumbsup: Also, during the summer months, you can always pop it up and let the hot air escape.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
I won't buy a vehicle w/out a sunroof. As was said, once you have one you'll always want one. Stopped at lights etc you can look up and see things you would otherwise never notice and the added light makes the cabin feel airy.

There will always be one-off's but leaks and wind noise are no longer really applicable on modern sunroofs as manufactures know they're unacceptable.

I like the dial used by VW as well. Much easier to use than the Honda's and Mazda's I've owned in the past.

Mk6Girl1

Ready to race!
I've never bought a car without a sunroof
I think its worth it :thumbsup:

roksax

turbo lover
I love my sunroof. +1 to the added light and more open feeling in the cabin at all times, and it's great to have everything all open on a nice day. I'd say go for it. Also, if you're in the US, the only option to not have a sunroof is a base model, which is missing some other nice features.

Jason3D

Go Kart Champion
Definitely feels more open and like you have more headroom. Nice for letting heat out when you're parked in the summer.

You can hear a bit of wind noise even with the sunroof closed, but that noise is completely eliminated as soon as you close the shade (must have some extra sound deadening material in there).

If I had to choose between Xenons and Sunroof, I would choose Xenons, but I didn't want to choose so I got both. :thumbsup:

Grownman

Ready to race!
There will always be one-off's but leaks and wind noise are no longer really applicable on modern sunroofs as manufactures know they're unacceptable.

I like the dial used by VW as well. Much easier to use than the Honda's and Mazda's I've owned in the past.

Been in heavy rains and it does not leak. There is a slight wind noise at highspeeds but that is with the slider (plastic piece between your head and the glass) rolled back; however, once you close it, it is silent.

If you have dark tint, it will always brighten up the cabin like daniel said!

Yes, the dial is amazing. Would have been nice if it as illuminated at night though =/.

Bender1

Banned
I am going to be the odd ball here.

I have ALWAYS had sunroofs in cars but specifically didn't want one in the GTI. When tracking, having additional weight at the highest point of the car is certainly not a good thing.

That said, if I wasn't a track guy, I would definitely get one.

Grownman

Ready to race!
Definitely feels more open and like you have more headroom. Nice for letting heat out when you're parked in the summer.

You can hear a bit of wind noise even with the sunroof closed, but that noise is completely eliminated as soon as you close the shade (must have some extra sound deadening material in there).

If I had to choose between Xenons and Sunroof, I would choose Xenons, but I didn't want to choose so I got both. :thumbsup:

Damn, beat me to it :lol:

Ah, I wish I had gotten the Xenon's :mad: