GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof Owners/Prospectors

dwp2

Ready to race!
The GTI sunroof is one of the things VW did really well. It has the most adjustments of any sunroof I've ever had.

foobert

Passed Driver's Ed
Don't know if anyone's mentioned it yet, but to FULLY open the sunroof on the MKVI (no glass visible above your head), you have twist and hold the knob for a couple seconds PAST the last marked detent. I had no idea my sunroof opened that far until I read about it on here a couple months after I got the car and tried it. Must've skipped that page in the manual...

Makes for a much nicer experience, especially at speed, as it cuts buffeting way down, as does cracking a rear window.

danielj1

Go Kart Champion
^^I actually find it increases buffeting/booming, having it all the way open that is. Which is why it rests where it does before opening it all the way.

woofie2

Ready to race!
^^I actually find it increases buffeting/booming, having it all the way open that is. Which is why it rests where it does before opening it all the way.

if you reach up and pull down the wind screen at 40+ MPH the buffeting will sound like a really big subwoofer at some speeds, kind of like rolling down only one rear window on a 4-door vehicle..
roll down one rear window, open the sun roof fully and drive down the road, the vortex will suck everything out of your car.

Noting beats putting the sunroof on vent and driving home on a hot day to draw the heat out of the car.

Marvin

Ready to race!
i think this is the mk5 sunroof control.
Oh, yes that is the MK5,s control except that my headlining and control set wasn't funereal black but cream or beige or whatever it's called. Bring back that control and then things would almost be perfect.

NinjaCat

Thanks for all the replies, I'm now pretty much sold on the sunroof. I was more worried about the cabin noise, but seems its not an issue

JFranko

Passed Driver's Ed
The GTI sunroof is one of the things VW did really well. It has the most adjustments of any sunroof I've ever had.

My trailblazer (and all chevys i've been in) have a window control for the sunroof. one way opens is, the other way is close, or vent if it's already closed. It was a much better setup, at least I thought so. The VW still isn't bad though.

I think VW calls it "comfort mode":laugh: Mine starts shaking around 20mph if it's open all the way and none of the windows are open.

flyguy27

Ready to race!
In summary of this thread for future viewers. Sunroof FTW!

MK6moneyGANG

Go Kart Champion
Its great nothing to complain about , no leakage or noise. No problem go for it .

Standard Owl

I've had sunroofs in all my other cars, and I never really used them. They're ok, but for an extra couple thousand dollars, no thanks. It doesn't really add anything for me except extra weight, expense, and things to break

dbletap_ed

Passed Driver's Ed
Something I have not seen in this thread is the other nice items that are part of the sunroof package. I really like the sunroof but the better sound system and steering wheel controls are also great.

Heartagram131

Go Kart Champion
Get a sunroof! they are the best add on that you can get.... i wouldnt own a car without one and it makes me mad when people dont have one cause you cant vent hot air without putting down a window. i tilt my sunroof all winter too to keep the cabin air fresh!

Sunroof FTW

JFranko

Passed Driver's Ed
Something I have not seen in this thread is the other nice items that are part of the sunroof package. I really like the sunroof but the better sound system and steering wheel controls are also great.

That's actually what I was more concerned about also. I like my sunroof, but I can live without it. The handsfree calling was a must with the manual though.

xcheck08

Passed Driver's Ed
so I tried opening the sunroof fully yesterday... and it wouldn't budge. Felt like the knob was gonna break off.

It is a feature in US models, right??

aw6141

Go Kart Champion
I specifically made sure I didnt get a sunroof on my GTI, I had previous cars with a sunroof, my 84 scirocco and 87 quantum had one, I did use them occasionally, but they did start leaking due to change. Same with the 1997 beater integra i had, I had to clean the drain plugs that were causing leaking in the trunk due to being clogged. I'll give it 5-10 years before it starts leaking or something.

Sunroofs are nice, but not something I would pay extra for, and I havent missed it since. But I guess seeing as many posted liking sunroofs, that explains why I had a hard time find a base 6spd non sunroof 4door gti.