GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Sunroof Owners/Prospectors

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
Love my sunroof, only complaint is when I get distracted when I park and accidently leave it open or at an angle. Ive been lucky with rain but dont want to get caught and have puddles in my car lol. Total operator error but it would be cool if there was an auto close feature or some (cant believe im asking for one) annoying chime to remind me that Im a dumbadd and need to close my roof.

That's what vagcom is for :thumbsup:

I have it set to when I hold the lock down, it closes all my windows (if opened) and my sunroof (if left open in any position). You can also set it to open the sunroof and the roll the windows down when you hold the unlock button as well (I didn't program the sunroof, just the windows to roll down).

spacecity.gti

Sortaflush
lol, i had a sunroof in my mk5, and i didn't ever use it. i don't even notice I don't have one in this car. I love the way the roof of the car is nice and clean. :)

dragon69185

Go Kart Champion
Oh yea, this is my first car with a sunroof. Use it almost every time I get in the car. Never really cared for them, but since I have it, kind of would like it on all my cars now just like everyone else.

And the knob does click just a little more loudly and harder when it gets into that close position. I'm use to that 'feel' so I don't have to look at my knob all the time to know that it is closed (still do every once in a while to double check).

roksax

turbo lover
I can always close mine without looking at it, you've just got to twist it with the right tension. Play around with your knob a little bit... ;) Open the sunroof. Twist the knob so lightly that you actually don't twist the knob at all. Now twist it as lightly as you can while actually twisting the knob. For me, it'll stop at the closed position every time.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
the sunroof really comes in handy if some one is riding your ass or cuts you off. I like to open it all the way and the sunglass compartment (which I may add doesn't hold my sunglasses) is great for holding some nice, heavy bolts. Then I just toss one out, it's great! After I hit the car, they usually back off.:thumbsup:

chlunga

I haven't got my Golf yet, but I did order it with a sunroof and having read these comments, I certainly do not regret it!! :D

ahhduma

Ready to race!
mine is open 90% of the time

why? because i have it

would i have paid for it if it was a standalone option? probably not. my other car is a true roadster (s2000), and the open-air experience is just not the same. feels as if the sunroof does nothing :)

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
the sunroof really comes in handy if some one is riding your ass or cuts you off. I like to open it all the way and the sunglass compartment (which I may add doesn't hold my sunglasses) is great for holding some nice, heavy bolts. Then I just toss one out, it's great! After I hit the car, they usually back off.:thumbsup:

WTF!!:eek: throwing bolts at peoples cars is a good way to enrage them into a furious monster that will make your day end badly. some people might have guns. back in the day my friends would keep half empty pop bottles to throw at peoples cars if they were in a situation that called for it.

Graustark

Ready to race!
if you play around with it, you'll notice the knob feels different in the closed position - it almost "clicks" when you move it there, thus about 8 out of 10 times, i can probably close it without even looking. I agree its not that perfect, but I dont think its that awful either.

Same thing for the 3 o'clock position of the AC direction knob. The detent is small, but it's there. I think one person on this forum put a little mark on their AC knob to better indicate its position from driver subjective view.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detent

I've had three cars, and all have had sunroofs. I am constantly bemused when people drive around with their windows up despite driving slowly, and in gorgeous weather. Also, it's nice for airing out cabin due to heat (being in Texas). And it lets air in w/o blasting riders' hair at higher speeds.

Graustark

Ready to race!
Love my sunroof. Wouldn't have considered any car without one. Why sunroof's aren't completely standard on all cars is beyond me. Who doesn't want a sunroof? If you don't want to use it, keep it closed. Its like, ancient technology at this point and is sort of a ripoff on the part of automakers to act like its some kind of upgrade. Love rolling with the windows cracked and the sunroof open. If its cold I just switch on the heated seats.

Haha yes. And I do so love the heated seats for reasons just like this. Being in TX, my family seemed baffled that anyone would want heated seats. But it's those rare 2-3 months of cold that make it wonderful.

miikez.

Autocross Newbie
WTF!!:eek: throwing bolts at peoples cars is a good way to enrage them into a furious monster that will make your day end badly. some people might have guns. back in the day my friends would keep half empty pop bottles to throw at peoples cars if they were in a situation that called for it.

So I thought of this too. what if they have a gun? so I bought from ecs the under the seat tray and that's where I keep my gun. gotta fight fire with fire. except in this case I'm not using fire, I'm using a gun.:bellyroll:

Marvin

Ready to race!
The sunroof control knob of my MK5 was soooo superior to this one. You knew exactly when it was it in the closed position, as the turning action was light and the closed position had a positive click - very tactile and miles better than the afterthought of a knob that is now fitted. The MK5 knob was neater and had a much lower profile and did not stick out so much into the cabin.
The MK6s knob looks like something from an old antique radio supply shop and as somebody said here the vertical dark mark on it, is towards the windscreen when the roof is fully shut - such stupidity by the design team.

Stadpad

Go Kart Champion
i think this is the mk5 sunroof control.

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
I <3 my sunroof. I only got 2 options on my car.... xenons and sunroof... and I love them both equally. Maybe the sunroof more. I use it all the time, even in the winter (I just use the heated seats then!).

If you pop it up on the highway its really not loud at all. If you open it all the way you will get some wind buffeting. I usually just play around with how far its open and how far the windows are open and I can usually find a sweet spot where it stops buffeting. In summertime / fall its the best. If you like driving with your windows down then you'll love the sunroof. If you use AC all the time, then you might not care at all.