GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Stock vs. Newer BMW 335i

livefast

Ready to race!
Maybe the guy fitted a dual exhaust and a 335 emblem on a 328i? :iono:

That's the only situation I can see unless the guy was learning how to drive stick when you raced him...

johnny_p

Go Kart Champion
Stock GTI is NOT faster than a 335i.

He was probably just screwing around with you.

abstractmonkey

Passed Driver's Ed
Let me just reiterate...I am certain that a BMW 335i is faster than a stock GTI MKVI. Whew! Hopefully Chip will be a little less embarrassed now.

Just for giggles I did some checking on the wheel hp of both cars stock. It seems like the BMW makes around 265hp to the wheels and the GTI makes around 200hp also to the wheels. Is this correct? Both of these figures were based on dyno sheets found around the net. This give the BMW a 32% hp advantage over the GTI.

Stock curb weight is around 3600lbs for the BMW and 3200lbs for the GTI. That makes the BMW 12.5% heavier. Advantage is definitely still with the BMW. Would you need to go Stage 2 to be competitive or would Stage 1 be sufficient?

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Stage 1, no.

Stage 2... maybe. A BIG maybe.

twisted by dezign1

Passed Driver's Ed

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
Ok ok ok ok ok.

So you're telling me....YOU initiated the race, the BMW saw your attempt to speed up to cut him off, and naturally, like anyone would do, he sped up to say hell no, and you jumped on him like bitches on shark week????

chyeah.........no

THEN you called him fat?

I'm just dicking with you.

BMW drivers might be douchebags, but the 135/335s are fast as hell.....when they're not in the shop.

abstractmonkey

Passed Driver's Ed
Ok ok ok ok ok.

So you're telling me....YOU initiated the race, the BMW saw your attempt to speed up to cut him off, and naturally, like anyone would do, he sped up to say hell no, and you jumped on him like bitches on shark week????

chyeah.........no

THEN you called him fat?

I'm just dicking with you.

BMW drivers might be douchebags, but the 135/335s are fast as hell.....when they're not in the shop.

That's exactly how it went down. Although I'm sure he wasn't giving it his all.

He was definitely fat. Can't really call him a douche though. He was all smiles and gave me the wave after. It's pretty rare that we get the chance to open a car up in rush hour around here.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
That's exactly how it went down. Although I'm sure he wasn't giving it his all.

He was definitely fat. Can't really call him a douche though. He was all smiles and gave me the wave after. It's pretty rare that we get the chance to open a car up in rush hour around here.

I understand man. I got a buddy from Arlington and he says it sucks big time.

So the question is, what do you propose you're going to do to be ready for the next time you see him. obviously stage 1 isnt enough............you gotta just bite the bullet and get stage 2 :D

Gjergj

Ready to race!
Alright I raced two automatics this weekend and both with competent drivers, I lost all five times I raced by about 1/2 car to 1 1/2 cars. They just pull on me right out the gate and I can never catch up, and they are both stock. I raced a 335 manual and took him consistently 3 times by a car. I haven't tried a roll yet but I prefer the dig.

abstractmonkey

Passed Driver's Ed
I understand man. I got a buddy from Arlington and he says it sucks big time.

So the question is, what do you propose you're going to do to be ready for the next time you see him. obviously stage 1 isnt enough............you gotta just bite the bullet and get stage 2 :D

I'm probably going Stage 1 in the future. I rode in my buddy's 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 recently and it made me want to bump mine up a little to compete. It's a difficult decision for two reasons:

1. Factory warranty is a good thing.
2. This car is so well balanced from the factory that I'm not sure I want to mess with it.

More power usually wins out over common sense, so I'm sure it won't be long until I'm pulling away from the Mazdaspeed.

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
Stage 1 only and the fat guy will still beat you. Fat guys rule.

grambles423

Automotive Engineer
More power usually wins out over common sense, so I'm sure it won't be long until I'm pulling away from the Mazdaspeed.

Might be scary looking at this in your rear view

abstractmonkey

Passed Driver's Ed
Might be scary looking at this in your rear view

We joke about the grin all the time. His is black, so it's less noticeable. I probably would have considered the Mazda if they had kept the previous design. Now I'm glad they didn't because I hear the motors are prone to "zoom zoom boom" when modified. The interior is also WAY better in the GTI.

CDUBBGTI91

Go Kart Champion