GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'11 Timing Chain Tensioner Failure

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
The tensioner with the ratcheting mechanism was replaced in 12/2011 by the new tensioner 06K109467K? (or was it 4/2010........... ?)

I stopped checking on this thread a while ago, but which date is it, or where did you see those dates previously?

socal87

Drag Race Newbie
I'm trying to figure out what my build date is...only door jamb stickers I have are the GAWR/tire pressure sticker, and the TPMS reset sticker. No date on either one. Looked under the hood, there's the emissions sticker which says it conforms to MY12 emissions standards...I'll have to take a look through the manual to see if there's a sticker inside one of the pages but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place?

T-sifleks

I stopped checking on this thread a while ago, but which date is it, or where did you see those dates previously?

....German GTI-Forum.....the tensioner was redesigned many times, afaik recently in april 2010 and december 2011.

I don't know when the "safe" one was released .............

Gunkata

Drag Race Newbie
interesting. The build date on my 2011 GTI was something like March 2010 maybe, and the A3 (also 2011) has a build date of May 2011.

zrickety

The Fixer
Bump for a great thread. Has anyone replaced the tensioner themselves? I've ordered the part and the gasket, I have triple squares. Am I missing anything?

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
Bump for a great thread. Has anyone replaced the tensioner themselves? I've ordered the part and the gasket, I have triple squares. Am I missing anything?

Do able yes, I did mine. you better be really comfortable in re timing the entire motor. Also you will need to remove the motor mount which can be a little tricky.

Look up the self study, 3 chains to time with floating spline on the crank to ensure ends up in place (there is a key but you need to ensure he chains do not jump).

vwgti2.0t

Go Kart Champion
I've never taken the side cover off, but I've seen what it looks like under there. The tensioner in question only keeps tension on the main chain right? Couldn't you use something to keep tension on the chain while you remove the old tensioner and put the new one in? Doesn't seem like too bad of a job, but I could be completely wrong.

SuPeR GTi

Go Kart Champion
so no one knows when vw starting using the newer tensioners huh? i have a 2012 but im pretty sure its a late 2011 build date, since i bought it very early 2012. i would have to check for sure though. as ive been following this thread since it was started, it looks like it doesn't even matter if we have the old or new revision, they both break and were still fucked anyway? greattt.

lilfleck

Go Kart Champion
Could someone give me the cliffnotes version of this thread? I have a 2011 and want to know if this will affect me...