GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mass Airflow Sensor Issue

drepai

Go Kart Champion
I'm interested in more info on this custom tune you have from OE tuning. Seems like a lot of the time these MAF issues are actually tuning issues.
yea ive heard of that happening too, but I had my tune from them for quite awhile before I installed the intake with no problems at all. The problem started a day after I installed my carbonio and has been on going for about 6 months now. When I clean the maf with contact cleaner the problem goes away, but then it comes back about a week later every time (ive done this at least 10 times). At this point im positive that its a faulty maf

trackstar

Ready to race!
try taking off the outer shell as mentioned earlier. It could be the pressurized intake causing MAF readings to be off. I know I had this issue with my pressurized intake

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
I'm interested in more info on this custom tune you have from OE tuning. Seems like a lot of the time these MAF issues are actually tuning issues.

Not really tune issues, not changing MAF tables from factory is more like it. Making the MAF react slower isn't really a good thing.

Last edited:

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
Not really tune issues, not changing MAF tables from factory is more like it. Making the MAF react slower isn't really a good thing.

You do not consider scaling the MAF table tuning?

drepai

Go Kart Champion
So I just removed the heat shield and tightened all of the clamps(some of them were loose). I also noticed that the maf housing was tinted to the left about 20 degrees so I straightened it out. I then ran it hard thu 1-2-3-4 about 10 tomes and everything seemed to be working perfectly:thumbsup:. Keep in mind that I was getting fuel/boost cuts yesterday, so one of these things definitely fixed my problem. I'm going to wait another week and do frequent testing:burnrubber::burnrubber::burnrubber:to make sure it's fixed. Thanks everyone for your help:thumbup:

mlody91

Ready to race!
Reviving old thread. Any updates? Did your CEL come back on after removing the shell and tightening all the clamps?

I've been having the same issues since I got my carbonio intake. Almost wanted to buy a new MAF but I just want to make sure that it's the MAF and not anything else.

eurocars1

Ready to race!
whats up josh
I guess getting a new maf is my only option at this point. I doubt the dealer will replace it under warranty because I have an intake, and no longer have the stock one to put it back on. these are my two options:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Engine/Intake/ES281637/
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Engine/Intake/ES2580774/
one is made by Hitachi (half the price) and the other is OEM. I've heard Hitachi makes good mafs but it might be a little risky, you think I should get it or just go OEM?

I'm running a dry filter

fwiw, hitachi makes the oem MAF, so buying the hitachi is essentially buying oem

drepai

Go Kart Champion
It fixed the problem for me even when I'm not spraying any meth, not 100% sure it's the solution though. The problem itself has nothing to do with the maf, read through that thread I linked.

qshashaa

Ready to race!
I had the same issue, scan the car and check for codes if nothing shows up then its the tune. My tuning company said that on the mk6's (newer ecu's) they have a safety cut out on the injectors, all you need to do is go and send your logs to your local dealer and have them forward the logs to the tuning company. Basically they are going to flash your car with the same software but they will remove this ECU behavior so you have no gap between gears. I had to do this plus clear a fuel rail pressure system too high by replacing an o2 sensor, fuel sensor and fuel pump (after replacing the fuel pump it stopped throwing codes). Be careful though and take it easy on your transmission.

resilientsoma

Go Kart Champion
going to try this after work. i should be getting 16 psi with my tune, now only 10 psi...

hopefully just a dirty MAF... if not I'll have to do the home depot DIY leak tester.

anyone have a good thread finding boost leaks in their system?

09GTIJOE

Go Kart Champion
smoke system?