GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

Mass Airflow Sensor Issue

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Ever since I installed my carbonio I've been having very frequent and very annoying MAF issues. What happens is when I'm going WOT above 4500 in second or third and up shift quickly boost/fuel completely cuts out in the next gear (ex when im shifting from second to third quickly in higher rpms as soon as I get into third and put my foot down power is completely gone and boost gauge reads 0 until I remove my foot from the throttle and re apply it)
I figured that the oil from the filter had gotten on the maf so I cleaned it with some contact cleaner and the problem was fixed for about a month. I then changed my filter to an AFE Pro Dry S and cleaned the maf again which fixed the problem for another month until it came back AGAIN:mad0259:. When I run the car mafless the problem is fixed but my fuel economy is horrible. I am not sure if I should buy another maf from the dealer because it may break again and i'd be out a couple hundred bucks. I am going k04 soon and would like this problem resolved before then so anything helps. Thanks

joshparzi

Passed Driver's Ed
hi paymon

get a new MAF

if it runs fine without the maf that means that its definetely the MAF causing it. The car will switch to a map with default values for the map sensor when it senses that it has been removed. Try to get it done under warranty

maxtdi

Go Kart Champion
Are you over-oiling the filter?

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
hi paymon

get a new MAF

if it runs fine without the maf that means that its definetely the MAF causing it. The car will switch to a map with default values for the map sensor when it senses that it has been removed. Try to get it done under warranty

/\ This sounds like the issue if that's what's happening.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
hi paymon

get a new MAF

whats up josh
I guess getting a new maf is my only option at this point. I doubt the dealer will replace it under warranty because I have an intake, and no longer have the stock one to put it back on. these are my two options:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Engine/Intake/ES281637/
http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Engine/Intake/ES2580774/
one is made by Hitachi (half the price) and the other is OEM. I've heard Hitachi makes good mafs but it might be a little risky, you think I should get it or just go OEM?

Are you over-oiling the filter?
I'm running a dry filter

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
I would check your intake pipe after the MAF for any leaks. Especially since you are running a dry filter now (which I don't recommend) and the problem has happened ever since you installed the Carbonio intake. I'm doubtful that it's the MAF. Just my $.02.

U-20T

Go Kart Champion
I would check your intake pipe after the MAF for any leaks. Especially since you are running a dry filter now (which I don't recommend) and the problem has happened ever since you installed the Carbonio intake. I'm doubtful that it's the MAF. Just my $.02.

Wouldn't be the first.

Op try removing the outer shell on the carbonio, just use the filter on a stick. Then undo the battery to reset the ecu and go out driving for a bit. This should help figure out if it is the MAF or Carbonio.

joshparzi

Passed Driver's Ed
u can borrow my stock intake if you want. another good point was made that it could be a leak. Try taking off the stage 2 pipe that might fix it

joshparzi

Passed Driver's Ed

Why don't u recommend a dry filter. Oiled filters are known for fowling MAF sensors.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
u can borrow my stock intake if you want. another good point was made that it could be a leak. Try taking off the stage 2 pipe that might fix it

Problem was apparent before I installed stage 2 pipe, it happened for the first time the day after I installed the intake. I'll check tomorrow morning for any leaks. I may take you up on the stock intake offer but I'm not sure how I'm going to prove the issue to the dealer. I guess it's worth a shot

Modshack1

Go Kart Champion
Problem was apparent before I installed stage 2 pipe, it happened for the first time the day after I installed the intake. I'll check tomorrow morning for any leaks. I may take you up on the stock intake offer but I'm not sure how I'm going to prove the issue to the dealer. I guess it's worth a shot

Check your fuel trims before you clear anything...It does sound like you have a bad install causing things to run lean (Vac leak). The Prebuilt maps that take over when you unplug the maf are typically skewed richer for safety which is why it runs ok unplugged.

drepai

Go Kart Champion
Check your fuel trims before you clear anything...It does sound like you have a bad install causing things to run lean (Vac leak). The Prebuilt maps that take over when you unplug the maf are typically skewed richer for safety which is why it runs ok unplugged.
I'll tighten all the clamps tomorrow :thumbsup:

Killswitch24

Ready to race!
I'll tighten all the clamps tomorrow :thumbsup:

Not too tight, though. :)

And as for oiled filters and MAF's... Over-oiled filters can cause problems, but properly oil filters are rarely problematic.

SkullV

Thunderbunny.....
I'm interested in more info on this custom tune you have from OE tuning. Seems like a lot of the time these MAF issues are actually tuning issues.